PDA

View Full Version : <Empty List> Radio Issue

k1200rs
01-05-2012, 01:44 PM
When using a control point on Android (such as Twonky Mobile or any other) to select album tracks (Flac), I often get an <Empty List> message when I later try to select a radio.
I do not face this bug with my NP2500/2900.
This issue does not happen all the time, but quite often. I cannot report/explain the context why it happens. But I believe anyone using an Android control point with the NP3900 will face this issue.

PHILIPS:
Question: do you recognize this problem and will you address it?
I have taken a movie, as I said last year, I can put it anywhere (YouTube, Flickr, etc...) or send it you (Philips).
Please advise.
This does not work per the specs.

I would add that we reported several times this issue but never received a straight answer.

kwinnie
01-06-2012, 01:42 AM
this is solved by the latest firmware :D ?
you still have the issue?

k1200rs
01-06-2012, 08:01 AM
No, this has not been solved by latest release (and I have latest FW version).

BTW, I wish we had release notes to understand what a new release addresses (we used to have that on the StreamiumCafé forum).

The NP3900 has an erratic behavior when controlled with a Android control point, I believe it would the same problem with any remote control point (I will test with Twonky manager control point on a PC).

I just tested again this morning.

1) I selected an album with Twonky mobile. It played the first track, I switched to other tracks, it worked fine, etc.
Image of Twonky Mobile on my tablet:

After a while I the selected the "Internet Radios" on the NP3900. I experienced no problem, I could select and play radios from my favorites.

I then used Twonky again to play some tracks, the NP3900 started hanging and I got a funny screen (note: first time I ever got that funny screen hence I would not take care of this issue).

The only way out was to power-off, power-on the NP3900.

2) After the NP3900 hard reboot, I played some radio stations. I did start Twonky mobile and selected some tracks. It worked fine. After a while I again selected the Internet Radios / my favorites and got the infamous <this is an empty list>:

I again needed to perform a hard reboot (power off/on).

Conclusion, the NP3900 has an erratic behavior (<Empty List> when using a remote control point. Not difficult to reproduce, sometimes it works and sometimes it does not and this again raises the question about the Quality Assurance. I restate again that my NP2500 and NP2900' are working fine when controlled by Twonky Mobile.

k1200rs
01-06-2012, 12:22 PM
So, Mr Philips, do you acknowledge this issue? (note: we (jdthood and I) have been talking about this for more than 2 month now). And if you do recognize this issue, what will be the estimated repair time?

lucas1970
01-09-2012, 10:25 AM
And you have the latest firmware then installed. Since you say you have it for two months and last software dates from a few eeks ago..

k1200rs
01-09-2012, 10:38 AM
And?

I have been facing the issue for > 2 months indeed and yes, I have installed the latest new version few weeks ago and the problem is still there.

If you have a remote control point running on a tablet or phone, just try it and tell us whether you face same issue.

k1200rs
01-09-2012, 10:49 AM
I have more about this issue.

I just used Twonky Manager on PC. Twonky Manager can also push music to a DLNA player (renderer) as would a remote control on Android do.

I played a track pushed by Twonky Manager running on a PC to my NP3900 (works fine) and then switched back to the Internet Radios and when displaying the favorites....here we are with the same issue: "This is an empty list"
Easy to test if you have Twonky Manager.

So, this issue is nothing to do with Android...but with the way the NP3900 handles pushes from a remote control (be on PC or Android). It seems that it sometimes loses the list of radios (favorites, etc.).

I cannot explain the context, sometimes it works and sometimes it does not, but it is easy to reproduce.

Again, if you guys want a great movie on YouTube or anywhere else, capturing this, just ask.

And I confirm, one more time, that I have the latest firmware release (checked few secs ago again).

Philips - Remko
01-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Hi All,

We have noted your issue & are currently looking into it.
We will update you as soon as we have more concrete information.

Kind regards,

Rohit
01-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Hello There

I received delivery of my NP3900/12 last night & tried in vain for more than 3 hours to get it to play! I can stream music fine from my PC but have no access to any online Services or Internet radio.

When I press Internet Radio I get a message saying 'Empty List' & when I press Online Services nothing really happens! I thought I would be able to log in for both napster & Spotify!

My device successfully connects to the wireless internet & acquires IP address automatically & is able to stream music from my PC but will not display any online services and/or Internet Radio stations to play.

I have set & reset it many times & made sure my location/language settings are for UK. As I say, I can connect to Internet fine but just dont have any radio stations or Online services.

It has been rather frustrating as there's nothing to suggest what I should do in the User Manual under Trouble shooting either. I am totally flabbergasted why its playing no radio or any online services. Essentially, as it stands, I am considering returning it unless someone can advise what I may be doing wrong.

I also checked for software updates but the message comes up on the device that I have the latest version. I also registered on phillips.co.uk but my device says I am unregistered when I could actually see it registered on the website!

I am totally dumbstruck by it!

Can someone please advise what i may be doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Rohit Thakur

jdthood
01-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Does the NP3900 get the time from the Internet?

Rohit
01-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Nope...the clock doesnt show either

jdthood
01-11-2012, 08:45 AM
We can continue discussing your Internet connection problem in the new thread you created:
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?4103-NP3900-12-won-t-play-Radio-Online-Services-at-all

k1200rs
01-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Any news regarding the <This is an empty list> issue when we switch the NP3900 back to internet radios whilst pushing tracks to the NP3900?

jdthood
01-20-2012, 11:26 AM
(Cross reference: The cannot-return-to-Internet-radio-because-you-get-a-This-list-is-empty-message problem was also discussed in this earlier thread: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?3465-The-NP3900-and-Android-control-points-worse-behavior-than-the-NP2900 but we can carry on discussing it here.)

jdthood
01-20-2012, 11:49 AM
The author of the BubbleUPnP app on Android continues to improve his fine program. I just tried the most recent version, 1.2.2.3. Three times in succession I was able to use BubbleUPnP to play a track from NAS to NP3900 and then use the handheld remote to return to Internet Radio without getting the empty-list message. On the other hand NP3900 exhibited other flaky behavior and crashed once during this testing.

k1200rs
01-20-2012, 11:59 AM
I will try with BubbleUPnP again, but the <empty list> issue also happens when using Twonky manager on PC to push a track to the NP3900 and then switching back to the Internet Radios using the "regular" remote control unit.

k1200rs
01-27-2012, 10:13 AM
I will try with BubbleUPnP again, but the <empty list> issue also happens when using Twonky manager on PC to push a track to the NP3900 and then switching back to the Internet Radios using the "regular" remote control unit.

SO, after 1 week of test, I would say that BubbleUPnP is a nice remote control AND DLNA player, probably a bit better than Twonky mobile but I know a new Twonky mobile is coming soon with many new functions.

Anyway, as I observed with Twonky mobile, the NP3900 behavior is odd when switching from playing pushed tracks (from BubbleUPnP) to Internet Radios. Don't see much (happens once) the empty list issue, but I have got multiple times the NP3900 hanging when I select Internet radios whilst playing a pushed tracked from BubbleUPnP. So, different issue, but still not working well.
Again, less (in fact none) problems with the NP2900...The NP3900 is supposed to be DLNA compliant and I am sure more and more people will want to control it from Tablets or Smart Phones.

jdthood
01-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Again, less (in fact none) problems with the NP2900...The NP3900 is supposed to be DLNA compliant and I am sure more and more people will want to control it from Tablets or Smart Phones.

It's funny. I tried out the NP2900 and liked the look of the NP3900 so I bought the latter. I assumed that the newer model would work at least as well as the older one.

lucas1970
01-27-2012, 10:26 AM
As they said they are looking into it that will give hope :)

k1200rs
01-27-2012, 04:35 PM
It's funny. I tried out the NP2900 and liked the look of the NP3900 so I bought the latter. I assumed that the newer model would work at least as well as the older one.

Indeed, I just tried all kind of funny testings, disconnected the server whilst it was playing a track, then switching back to Radios, etc. Not once the NP2900 failed, no hanging. Quite different for the NP3900...

np3900_victim
02-04-2012, 12:49 PM
I have experienced each and every problem that has been discussed up till now with regard to the NP3900.
Isn't it time Mr Philips admits that NP3900 and its software are a disaster and 'recalls' the apparatus. Should be easy, at least for those who registered. Apart from its looks, the apparatus is pretty useless and is totally erratic (I would like to add the alarm going off 'unannounced' every Tuesday without ever programming it as such).
I hate to think how many hours have been wasted by all of us on this machine. The name Philips slowly starts to trigger allergic reactions in me....

jdthood
02-04-2012, 08:59 PM
The NP3900 works reliably for me, playing from both NAS and Internet radio, now that I have connected it to my LAN via Ethernet and now that I only use the handheld infrared remote to control it. I guess I should consider myself lucky that it doesn't turn on spontaneously every Tuesday (... unlike my Samsung television which does turn itself on spontaneously twice a day unless I switch the source to something other than "TV" before switching it off -- bizarre.) That it can't be controlled reliably via the network is a disappointment. If Philips offered to swap my NP3900 for a NP2900 I'd take the deal, considering what k1200rs said above in #20.

k1200rs
02-22-2012, 06:16 AM
Will this ever be fixed? (Radio Empty List issue)

I now think I will resell my NP3900 on eBay and buy either an old NP2900 or anything else that I can control through my Android remote control.

Philips advertised everywhere that this device is DLNA and can be remotely controlled with a smartphone / tablet.

k1200rs
02-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Funny enough, I just discovered that on the new Philips web site, the NP3900/NP3500, etc are labelled:

Wireless Hi-Fi system for Android™

I wish...on that basis I should be able to be reimbursed.

http://www.philips.co.uk/c/audio-system/streamium-np3900_12/prd/

k1200rs
02-22-2012, 07:22 AM
As a matter of curiosity, I just tried to control my NP3900 with the Philips MyRemote which is damned slow on my Tablet...I got the same Empty List issue.
After some manipulations (You play few tracks, you go from one track to the other, you skip a track, etc.) when you click on Internet Radios, you get an Empty List and the only option is then to hard reboot the NP3900.

np3900_victim
02-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Today, the BBC duly woke me up at 6:25 in the morning (as programmed for all weekdays), only to be followed within minutes by the loud alarm buzzer . I never set the alarm to 'buzzer'. The NP3900 software truly excels in grabbing the initiative! In the past it used to trigger the buzzer (without programming!) on Tuesdays. In my unrelenting futile efforts to find a remedy for the problem, I recently reset it to factory settings (again!) and today it chose to surprise us with a loud buzzing on Wednesdays rather than Tuesday.

My verdict (and I hope Mr Philips reads this): 10 for initiative; 0 for performance.

Do you really want to stick to Philips.. I admire your loyalty

k1200rs
02-22-2012, 11:04 AM
np3900_victim, I believe / suggest you create another thread about this problem as this is not related to the Empty List radio issue and the Android control point.

As a side note, it is great to see that the NP3900 takes initiatives and wakes you up randomly...it might in fact just be possessed by the evil? have you considered that option? I would rather ship the np3900 to the vatican vs. the Philips support.

k1200rs
02-23-2012, 05:36 AM
I understand that the Streamium range is now advertised as Wireless Hi-Fi system for Android™

That the Streamium NP3900 and NP3500 are supposedly DLNA certified

And that Philips recommends the use of the Philips MyRemote application on Android to control the NP3x00 (which is Twonky based).

I restate here that using the MyRemote Android application, after a series of actions (select different tracks, skip a track, select a different album) when you then select the Internet Radios you get an Empty List issue and you need to hard reboot the NP.

Same results with BubbleUPNP, Twonky Mobile or Twonky Manager (on PC, when pushing tracks from Twonky Manager).

So, the NP range is not DLNA compliant and has got a faulty behaviors when pushed tracks (from a control point or Twonky manager). It is not compliant with the specs published on Philips sites.

This issue has been raised last year by jdthood. No feedback given so far (3 months) regarding when this will be fixed.

Philips - Remko
02-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Hi K1200rs,

I have send you a personal message. Please check your inbox.

Kind regards,

Blechtrottel
02-26-2012, 03:19 AM
Hmm, I understand frustration. On the other hand all these devices in the market are with flaws.
E.g. a Seagate NAS (Blackamor) needs besides a Professor title for setup, it makes PlugPlayer or TwonkyMobile freezing. Then just looking onto TwonkyMobile - NP3900 and MCI8080 shows the proper album artwork, but the APP on IOS shows a blank screen. :(

Anyhow, coming back to the complaint here ...
So, you play uPnP from a TwonkyMobile - still o.k.
Then you take "MyRemote" and play a Internet radio station - that's half o.k. -- It only plays for 52 seconds. After some study, it was found that whenever the iPhone goes into sleep mode it triggers a stop of the Internet radio station ...

Blechtrottel
02-26-2012, 03:23 AM
I would admit the latter symptome is rather ugly ... (happens also if you do from a fresh reboot).
Seems the updated version of MyRemote is buggy ...

But I never get "EMPTY LIST". Anything I do wrong ?

Brambo
03-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Hi K1200rs,

I have send you a personal message. Please check your inbox.

Kind regards,

Hi,

I have the same problem with my NP3700. Could you please send me your answer or post it here?
Thank you!

Philips - Remko
03-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Hi Brambo,

Please next time start a new thread in the correct place, under NP3700.

This issue is currently still under investigation for the NP3900 but i haven take note of it. Once there is an update this will be posted straight away.

Kind regards,