PDA

View Full Version : Runs NP3500 only with NAS-Server

pf5
01-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Hi,
I tried a Logitech Squeezebox Duet to get my mp3s from a NAS-Server on my stereo. It worked, but my PC (not NAS) had to be shut-on all the time, because a little server-programme was running all the time.
So I returned the Squeezebox.

I am thinking of buying a NP3500. But before I'll do that, I would like to know, if it can play the music from my NAS-Server via Router an DLNA all the time without having my PC switched on all the time.
So comparably with my SMART-TV that also can do this without any PC.

Regards

fromsomewhere
01-07-2012, 01:40 AM
Hi

Yes. NP 3500 can stream from NAS without turning on yr PC. Pls note NP 3500 has no speakers. It only has digital out/line out. You need to connet to your music system. If you want sound system integrated then consider NP 3700/3900 or 3300.

gs27
01-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Hi,

Yes, this is what I'm doing now and it works quite fine (except FLAC specific bugs addressed in other topics :)

I've had the same doubts and hesitated for a long time between Squeeze products and streamium ones, but I chose Streamium products in the end, mostly because it uses UPNP/DLNA standards, where logitech products only uses proprietary ( though open) protocols...

From what I've read also, it turns out the DAC in Streamium products tend to be a bit better (except for the Logitech transporter, which is way out of my budget !), plus, the NP3500 I have offers a digital out (coaxial) line, which lets me use the high-end DAC I have on my AV Amp instead of the philips one.

pf5
01-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Hi, perfect !
Thank you very much for your quick answers. Yes, I know the np3500 does not have speakers. I will connect it with my stereo.
So I think I can buy one of these 3500....

llesniew
04-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Have you had success playing FLAC format files with your NP3500? I simply can't it get to work.

gs27
04-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Yes, but it doesn't support all FLAC files...

It has to be ≤ 24bit, and it seems it doesn't like float Little-Endian files either (typically, a s32le FLAC file won't play, or at least, I wasn't able to).
It won't play multi-channel files either (nor downmix them to stereo) for all 5.1 or 6.1 files I have tried.

Check your files samples and encoding trying them on mplayer for instance:

mplayer my_file.flac

will give you the details you need.