PDA

View Full Version : BDP5200 subtitles support with dnla (using mediatomb)?

whh
01-11-2012, 04:18 PM
I bought the BDP5200 yesterday and currently I am enjoying its possibilities. I've setup mediatomb on my computer. The player is able to connect to my computer and plays most files nicely. By performing some searching on the internet I was able to get pause/fwd/rwd and search to time working as well.

There is just one thing which I currently don't get working: subtitles over dlna. I have some movies with .srt subtitles which I have renamed to match the name of the video file. However the player does not see any subtitles (the only option in the subtitle menu is `off'). Is using subtitle files over dlna even possible? Do I need a special setting for mediatomb to get it working?

kwinnie
01-12-2012, 01:13 AM
i read somewhere yesterday that mkv+srt can be played; just not avi+srt.
but since only Twonky media is able to stream that mkv format... i m not sure if you can try...

so you are using avi+srt?

whh
01-12-2012, 06:57 AM
I tried both: mkv+srt and avi+srt. Both did not work.

From what I know, mediatomb can handle `blind' requests for srt files (asking the server for a srt file even if the file is not seen by the client), but I don't know if Philips devices are performing such a blind request. Maybe there is a way to expose the srt files in such a way they are visible to the client, but I haven't found it yet.

If all else fails I might have a look at Twonky media.

Snyrkill
01-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Hi.

I have mediatomb running on a Linux box and the ffwd/rew work for me, but not pause. I've been unable to find any useful hints on how to make the pause work. Can you send me some URL which sheds a light on this?

In my case, subtitles in MKV files work, but not external .srt files. I read somewhere that they must be named exactly the same as the movie file expect for the extension.

Best regards,
-S

I bought the BDP5200 yesterday and currently I am enjoying its possibilities. I've setup mediatomb on my computer. The player is able to connect to my computer and plays most files nicely. By performing some searching on the internet I was able to get pause/fwd/rwd and search to time working as well.

There is just one thing which I currently don't get working: subtitles over dlna. I have some movies with .srt subtitles which I have renamed to match the name of the video file. However the player does not see any subtitles (the only option in the subtitle menu is `off'). Is using subtitle files over dlna even possible? Do I need a special setting for mediatomb to get it working?

whh
01-17-2012, 04:50 PM
I've added the following lines to the /etc/mediatomb/config.xml:

<custom-http-headers>
<add header="transferMode.dlna.org: Streaming"/>
<add header="contentFeatures.dlna.org: DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=015000 00000000000000000000000000"/>
</custom-http-headers>

And changed (initial value was "no"):

<protocolInfo extend="yes"/>

Snyrkill
01-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks!
I had already done the custom-http-headers but the protocolInfo did the trick! :)

Regs,
-S

whh
01-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks!
I had already done the custom-http-headers but the protocolInfo did the trick! :)

Regs,
-S

Glad that I could be of help. About the subtitles, streaming MKV that includes a subtitle works for you? What kind of subtitle is embedded in the MKV? Is it srt embedded in MKV? Or another subtitle format? I have an MKV with a srt subtitle embedded, but it does not seem to work for me.

Do you use any other settings in the mediatomb config file that deviate from the standard settings?

Snyrkill
01-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Subtitles included in the MKV work fine for me. I tried some stuff yesterday using a tool called mkvmerge GUI.

First I took a 4.4GB MKV file without subtitles and inserted an .idx subtitle file. It took about a minute to remux the file and it played perfectly on the 5200.

Then I took an .avi (no subtitles) file and .srt file and created one MKV file. The subtitles worked perfectly.

The tool (mkvmerge) seems to support only .srt and .idx subtitle files.

I only made the same changes to the config.xml as you suggested, but I'm running Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS. I can send you the file if you want.

Best regs,
-S

whh
01-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Subtitles included in the MKV work fine for me. I tried some stuff yesterday using a tool called mkvmerge GUI.

First I took a 4.4GB MKV file without subtitles and inserted an .idx subtitle file. It took about a minute to remux the file and it played perfectly on the 5200.

Then I took an .avi (no subtitles) file and .srt file and created one MKV file. The subtitles worked perfectly.

The tool (mkvmerge) seems to support only .srt and .idx subtitle files.

I only made the same changes to the config.xml as you suggested, but I'm running Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS. I can send you the file if you want.

Best regs,
-S

Thank you for your comments. I will try creating some mkv's myself using mkvmerge and experiment with those mkv files.

For now I don't need the config file, assuming there are no important differences between the default coming with Ubuntu 10.04 and Ubuntu 11.10 (which I am using). If the subtitles keep failing, I might ask again.

edit: creating a mkv with the srt included worked like a charm, thanks for the suggestion!