PDA

View Full Version : USB Recording in uk ??? (IP-EPG)

Rake
01-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Question to Philips support or anyone in the know.

I recently purchased a 40PFL6606T/12.

As USB recording was mentioned by the rep/promo info I then went and paid £79.99 for a suitable USB HDD only to find that no matter what I do I cannot get the thing to record on USB. There is no record button / indicator in the EPG.

I then read that I need to change the programme guide to : Update from Network. I have done this and still no option to record.

Unless I am doing something wrong I find this rather disappointing as this set was advertised and still is as able to record onto USB.

I even re installed the channels to France / Germany and Ireland to find that I then get an IP-EPG error or Bad Request when opening the EPG.

Can some one please advise me ? Sorry to sound frustrated but I am.....

Otherwise very pleased with the image quality etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Ron.

Toengel
01-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Hi,

first, check if you installed the latest firmware (14.93). Also, this evening there was an error with an IP-EPG update. So, please switch off your TV, wait 2-3 minutes, restart (and wait again 2-3 minutes before starting IP-EPG again).

Toengel@Alex

Rake
01-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Thank you.

Firmware is at latest release - updated last week.

I'll try it all again in the morning and report back.

Thanks once again.

Ron.

Corneel
01-13-2012, 08:00 AM
For use of USB recording an active IP-EPG is needed.
IP-EPG is not activated in the UK, so USB recording is not possible.:(

But how does the TV know that itís in the UK?
Well, that is what you selected during channel installation.

Re-do channel installation and choose location Germany.
Language settings remain English, donít worry.
That should be enough to activate IP-EPG.
The amount of channels identified in the channel list will be low, logic, because it wasnít officially released.

Rake
01-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the repy.

I did as you suggested except I chose Ireland as its closer lol.

Now I did get the IP EPG ! But.....253 channels found.

Then

It asks to set the Identify the channels from a list. I chose

1 = BBC1 HD
2 = BBC HD
3 = ITV 1 HD
4 = C4 HD
5 = Discovery HD

If I try to watch any of them I just get a black screen with no picture.

Any ideas guys ?

Many thanks.

Ron.

artur
01-16-2012, 07:55 PM
I recently tried to record a programme in the UK as well with exactly the same problems as you described. If Philips is advertising certain futures of its TVs they really should make sure they all work!!! So far my issues with 21:9 (58PFL9956) are: not possible to record, not possible to play MKV files with DTS (almost all MKV files), not able to watch BBC iPlayer programmes, 3D split screen is very disappointing (pretty much unusable), backlight issues... No wonder Philips TV sales are a disappointment!

C'mon Philips reps tell us how can we record programmes in UK!

Rake
01-16-2012, 08:37 PM
ajonkisz

I have now managed to record.

Do the following.

Make sure the wifi is setup and working
Make sure your USB HDD is formatted and ready to work

Then

1) Make sure you have an IP address assigned - Home -> Setup -> Network Settings - View Network Settings - Make sure you have a publice IP and Gateway and DNS server assigned. 192.168 is the public IP type. If you dont have these - no IP EPG.

2) Go to - Home -> Setup -> TV Setup -> Prefferences -> Programme Guide - Update from Network

3) Go to - Home -> Setup -> Channel Settings -> Reinstall Channels -> France or Germany - Start.

4) Once the channels are reinstalled give the tv half an hour to update then try the Programme Guide.

for me it worked but not first time. I can now record programmes although the clock on the EPG is CET it seems to work ok now.

Hope that helps.

Ron.

artur
01-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Do you continue to have the issues with the channels you described in post #5?

Rake
01-16-2012, 09:11 PM
No such issues any more.

Works fine and HD quality is good.

A quick way to check if you have IP connectivity is to try to connect to net TV, if it works - you have an assigned IP, if not, check your network.

artur
01-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Good stuff! Thanks for your response. Out of curiosity is BBC iPlayer working for you? I described my issue at: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?2165-BBC-iplayer-Found-in-apps-but-not-working...&p=23421#post23421

Rake
01-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Yes, BBC Iplayer works fine.

My sniffer thinks you might have wifi issues.

Sometimes my wireless speeds drop to low rates and this causes problems for iplayer and IP EPG.

Check -

Home -> Setup -> Network settings -> Wireless settings - you can see the rates there. Today mine is 65Mbps

I'm running a CAT6 Cable in now.

artur
01-16-2012, 09:37 PM
I can use all other apps fine as well as browse the internet. I will follow your instructions you posted above and hopefully they'll fix the problem. Otherwise it might be something to do with the fact that my TV model was bought outside of UK (it's 58PFL9956H and not 58PFL9956T), but I'd be very surprised if that was the case.

artur
01-16-2012, 10:22 PM
I can use all other apps fine as well as browse the internet and my broadband connection speed is 19Mb. I will follow instructions you posted above and hopefully they'll fix the problem. Otherwise it might be something to do with the fact that my TV model was bought outside of UK (it's 58PFL9956H and not 58PFL9956T), but I'd be very surprised if that was the case. I'll try changing the router as well as I have a couple of spare ones :)

artur
01-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Got recording working. Thanks for your help. Unfortunately BBC iPlayer is still busted on my set :/