PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen 23PF5320/01

solas
01-15-2012, 12:23 PM
I have sound but no picture on Philips Model 23PF5320/01 Flat Screen TV. The screen is black but the picture has come back a few times by switching the set on and off at the mains. I have read elswhere that it could be an invertor problem.

Is it an invertor problem or what else could be wrong?
Is it easy to fit a new invertor? Where can I get instructions?
Is the part standard or does it have to be ordered from Philips?
Is the set worth fixing if I have to bring it to a repair shop?

I am familiar with electrical work but not with TV repairs.

Samsonite
01-16-2012, 08:43 AM
You can check if it is really the inverter by lighting the screen with a torch when the picture is gone. When you still see the picture when lighting the screen with the torch, you have a big chance that the inverter is defective.

With kind regards, Samson.

solas
01-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks Samsonite,

There is no picture when I shine the torch so reluctantly it looks like it will have to be a trip to the repair shop. Just wondering if the price or the repairs makes it worth fixing.

solas
01-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Outcome of above problem:

For the benefit of anyone else who may experience the above problem, this is the outcome:

I checked again, by shining a torch on the screen as Samson suggested, and sometimes but not always, there was a faint picture in the background.
There has been a red vertical line down the right side of the screen on and off for a year or more.
I brought the set to a TV repair shop and the diagnosis was that the main board was gone. It would cost about €200 to replace and it would not be worth paying that much.
I have now bought a new Samsung 26 inch and the picture quality is miles ahead of the reasonably new Philips. Will not be buying a Philips again.