PDA

View Full Version : low wifi signal

giuseppe
01-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Hi, I have a brand new Philips Streamium np3300 but I noticed that the signal it receives is so low that it is unusable, even if I put it less than five meter away (in a different room) from the access point. This is the only device which I have this kind of problems, even my 6 years old mobile phone with a wifi chip does not have any problems. What should I do?

Thanks

fromsomewhere
01-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Hi

Just as a check , if you put yr NP 3300 in the same room as the router, do you see full signal?

Blechtrottel
01-16-2012, 11:58 PM
It's not the meters which might make you the trouble. It might be the wall inbetween.

Can you change your routers settings ? e.g. change the wireless channel from Auto to a fixed channel (e.g. 1 or 6 or 11).
Move the unit a bit away from the wall / the window ...

giuseppe
01-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Hi

Just as a check , if you put yr NP 3300 in the same room as the router, do you see full signal?

Yes, it is full.

It's not the meters which might make you the trouble. It might be the wall inbetween.

Can you change your routers settings ? e.g. change the wireless channel from Auto to a fixed channel (e.g. 1 or 6 or 11).
Move the unit a bit away from the wall / the window ...

I tried to leave about 10cm between the wall and the unit and there was a low signal during a quarter of hour after which the unit has lost the signal again. Not even the time to finish this reply. Can a fixed channel improve even more the signal power? Why?

fromsomewhere
01-18-2012, 04:26 AM
Hi

Maybe moving your router a bit can also help. You just need some more signal strengh. Looks like the NP is in a "dark" spot.

giuseppe
01-18-2012, 08:11 AM
I don't think it's a dark spot, I'm writing here next to the streamium and I have two other devices that work without any problems. Now I reset the preferences to the default and reconfigured the streamium and it work again. If it will stop one more time I will bring it to a Philips center.

Do not you have performed a similar problem? Where did you have positioned your Philips Streamium?

Philips - Remko
01-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Dear giuseppe,

To better understand your problem can you give the following info:

What router are you using? Which security settings, which other wifi sets in the network or in the near of? Which wifi channel used (fixed one or automatic)? Did you test on a different router or in another place (friends, family)..

Regards,

giuseppe
01-26-2012, 05:59 PM
router: Thomson Gateway TG585 v8
security settings: WPA-PSK TKIP+AES
other wifi sets near by: the nearest is my laptop at about 2 meters
wifi channel: 6, fixed

Sometimes the streamium does not find the signal at all an then, after a reconfigure, it connects again to the internet.

Thanks

Tias
01-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Hi !

Many WiFi routers comes pre-set using channel 6. In practical terms, this means that channel 6 is the most used/crowded channel.
So if you have many neighbors with WiFi routers, you should try another channel.
There is a very good application called InSSIDer (http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/) that you can run on a WiFi-equipped laptop to see whet channels are used and then you can choose a channel that is not used.

Also, always make sure you have the latest firmware version installed in your router.

Cheers !

Asterix
01-31-2012, 07:17 AM
Hi giuseppe
I can guarantee you it is not a problem of the router. Because I have the same problem.
I bought a 9dB antenna for strong signal. The NP3300 was still only one bar. Other devices shown at 5 bar. Recently I bought a repeater. Now I have full signal. I hope you have not problems with the contact to UPNP connection. This does not work on my NP3300 until today. The support wraps itself since the review of the NP3300 in silence.
Greeting Asterix

Tias
02-01-2012, 01:42 PM
It can still be the router. There are so many different scenarios with different routers out there ;)
And Asterix, in your case, it still seems that there could be a problem with your router since you could only solve your problem using a repeater, right ?

Cheers !

giuseppe
02-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks for your answers. I looked at the neighbor networks and it is ridiculous how many they are (>>20). I changed the channel to the one lesser used but still it has problems between whiles. Sometimes it does not connect to the network, sometimes it works, sometimes seems that the stream is too slow and the audio is discontinued.

And when it cannot connect, the device became less responsive: sometimes it tries to connect to the network but it hangs indefinitely. Did you notice the same behavior?

Thanks

Philips - QK
02-07-2012, 02:17 AM
Dear Giuseppe,

We have sent you a Private Message for this case. Could you please check your inbox?

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

stbn
02-08-2012, 09:05 PM
I have exactly the same wifi problems with my brand new NP3300! it is definitely not the router or anything else. Different other wifi devices show full wifi strength, no connection problems at all. But the NP3300 has at the identical location major wifi connection problems: very poor connection, changing between 0 and 2 bars all the time, losing connection, long reconnection time. Practically it's not usable. I changed the device already at my shop where I bought it - issue remains absolutely the same.
ANY SUGGESTIONS?

fromsomewhere
02-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Hi stbn,

How far is your NP 3300 from router? How many walls in between? If you rotate the NP a bit, does the signal strength increase? Which router do you use?

stbn
02-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Hi,
honestly speaking. It's too easy (in this whole thread) to look only at other equipment (router etc) and not at the NP3300.
The router is a Swisscom Centro grande (Motorola). Distance to the NP3300 = 5m. No walls. Wifi configured according to the hints in this forum (fixed IP, non-crowded channel, etc). I tried to rotate the NP3300 as well as the router. Doesn't matter what I do: the NP3300 has a very volatile poor connection. E.g. no movements in the room, nothing changes, within 1 minute, the signal strength at the NP3300 varies between complete lost of connection to 3 bars. An iPad, an iPhone, a laptop, another wifi radio have full signal strength when I put them at the same place as the NP3300. To answer the next question: yes the poor connection stays the same even when I switch off all other wifi devices than the NP3300.
I'm really anoyed about this device. It's only the NP3300 which has this heavy connection problems.

Asterix
02-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Hi,
honestly speaking. It's too easy (in this whole thread) to look only at other equipment (router etc) and not at the NP3300.
The router is a Swisscom Centro grande (Motorola). Distance to the NP3300 = 5m. No walls. Wifi configured according to the hints in this forum (fixed IP, non-crowded channel, etc). I tried to rotate the NP3300 as well as the router. Doesn't matter what I do: the NP3300 has a very volatile poor connection. E.g. no movements in the room, nothing changes, within 1 minute, the signal strength at the NP3300 varies between complete lost of connection to 3 bars. An iPad, an iPhone, a laptop, another wifi radio have full signal strength when I put them at the same place as the NP3300. To answer the next question: yes the poor connection stays the same even when I switch off all other wifi devices than the NP3300.
I'm really anoyed about this device. It's only the NP3300 which has this heavy connection problems.

Hi stnb
You speak to me from the soul. I have a repeater in the same power outlet as the NP3300. There are no 80 cm between the NP3300 and the repeater. And yet, sometimes the bars go back from 4 bars to 2 bars. With all other WiFi devices I have full reception without a break. There is nothing wrong with our routers, the NP3300 has a problem.
Greeting Asterix

Philips - Remko
02-13-2012, 06:24 AM
Dear users,

We have noted your case and we are currently looking into this. We will update you if we have more concrete information.

Kind regards,

stbn
02-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Hi,
thanks! When can we expect support from your side? The device is currently unusable. Hope you can image that I'm a bit upset, since I payed a lot of money for a brandnew device which is not working at all. Reason for this is the device and nothing else.
Thanks for your support.

jorgtied
02-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Any news with this issue? I have exactly the same problem. The radio is in the kitchen and all other wifi devices have full signals. The streamier, however, looses connection frequently, crashes completely and has in general a low signal.

I have a Netgear WNR3500L router and I increased the transmission power to incredible 100mW and still it's not much better. This is really a shame ...

Another thing: Why does the device have to ask whether it should connect to the internet if it is not connected? Isn't that natural that you want to do that if you select internet radio? There is often even a second question after that. It's annoying that I have to click OK many times before finally coming to the list of radio stations.

Yet another annoying thing is that the software seems to crash on a daily basis. The only thing that helps is to disconnect the power cable and to plug it in again. There should be an update soon!

stbn
03-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Hi Philips,
any news here?? Still not working! Everyday connection losses and complete crashes of this buggy device ...

Philips - Remko
03-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Hi All,

We are still investigating this issue and are doing various tests.

As said on the 13th once there is more concrete information we will let you know.

Kind regards,

stbn
03-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Hi All,

We are still investigating this issue and are doing various tests.

As said on the 13th once there is more concrete information we will let you know.

Kind regards,

Would be nice to get an indication when we can expect a solution from your side. We payed a lot of money to you for buggy devices which have severe problems and do not work. Please put yourself for a second in our position. You would be as upset as we are. So, do you have an indication when our expensive dust traps will turn into working wifi music players?
Thanks!

stbn
04-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Hi, for your info: I finally got info from Philips customer support that they are not able to provide a solution for the technical issues I'm facing with my NP3300. We agreed that I will get a repayment of the purchase price. It's a pity, but thanks to Philips for this solution.

Asterix
04-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Hello, the same offer I got also.
Kind regards,

becksi
09-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Hi,

I purchased a NP3300 in June 2012. So I've had it the whole summer but it's never functioned well. Similar to how others have described in this thread it cuts out the whole time and tries to reconnect/reconfigure again and again. I have changed various settings in my router (D-Link) but to no avail. Other wifi-devices don't have this problem.

If it is so as user stbn writes above that there is no technical solution to the problem then I would also like to return the product and get a reimbursement.
Thanks.

Oscar
10-03-2012, 09:08 AM
then you ae at wrong part of the forum...