PDA

View Full Version : MPG playback: Distortion at the edges

philips7284
01-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Hi,

since 2 years I am a very proud owner of a 40PFL9704, software version 000.026.078.000 from 2010-07-15.

But one thing rellay bothers me:

When playing MPGs (via UPNP, wired network, Mediatomb Linux Server) there are annoying distortions at the right & left edges. It affects only some movies, other movies are displayed perfectly.

The movies where recorded with a dbox2 (old german pay tv set-top-box) running linux, then converted from TS to MPG using VLC.

I think it's a kind of not proportional scaling (zoom). The middle of the movies is scaled undistortioned, the right and left egdes are compressed (it looks like the opposite of "Superzoom", where the right & left egdes are stretched).

When I try to look a movie where it happens, I'm focusing on the distortions, not the movie!
I can not watch movies this way!

IS THERE ANY WAY OF SWITCHING THIS OFF?

The "formt" key of the remote control has no effect in MPG playback.

Thank You,

Marc

Philips - Thomas
01-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Hi

please post a Picture of this "disortions"

Regards
Thomas

philips7284
01-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Hi!

Maybe my english is not clear enough: I'm not talking of any malfunction, this "effect" is on purpose, I think it's one type of zoom, choosen automatically.

But I don't want it!
I want to switch it off, because I can't watch a movie this way!

Is there a way to choose the "zoom" format in UPnP playback?

Do You have a MPG test movie (maybe scrolling quadrats or something like this)?

It only appears on some movies, maybe movies with a special aspect ratio (?)

Then I can see the start of the effect: First, the movie is displayed correct, after 1-2 seconds the tv seems to switch the display (zoom) mode: the middle of the screens is zoomed a bit, left and right are compressed. The "compression" at the left and right edges are only visible while pans (sorry for my english, I mean when the camera is turning from left to right for instance).

What are the "zoom modes" for UPnP playback?

Thank You,

Marc

Philips - Thomas
01-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Hi

we really would like to help you. But we need a Picture on how the Movie is shown on your TV.
Also, please send an example File, cutet out of the Movie so we can analyze the content. 5MB is more than enough.

Regards
Thomas