PDA

View Full Version : Soundbar HTS7140 only shows PCM for sound sources

humke
01-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Hello,

If have connected my Philips Soundbar (HTS7140) with HDMI ARC to my TV (Panasonic TXP50G30). Naturally, I used the ACR compatible HDMI interface on my TV.

I also have connected several other devices to my TV, also with HDMI cables:

- media player
- XBOX 360
- Digital TV HD decoder Cisco 8485DVB (Ziggo)

When I play a BluRay movie with Dolby or DTS sound, I see the soundbar display stating Dolby or DTS for a short time, as expected. However, I never see this happening with my other external devices as mentioned above. When playing a game on my XBOX in which I can choose Dolby Digital in the game settings, I always see the soundbar stating "PCM". Some TV channels are broadcasted with Dolby audio, but here too: I always see the soundbar display stating "PCM" (the TV channels are decoded through the Cisco decoder as mentioned above).

I would expect the soundbar to receive Dolby/DTS sound and to state that in the display. Is this a wrong expectation? When the display states "PCM", I assume it is just plain old stereo sound quality right?

Would like to hear your experiences / comments about this!

Kind regards,
Arjan Hummel

Pacman
01-31-2012, 11:42 AM
As far as I see this is a ARC limitation.....

Bye

humke
01-31-2012, 01:43 PM
As far as I see this is a ARC limitation.....

So this would mean the HTS always says "PCM" even though it is receiving (AND processing) a Dolby or DTS signal. This would make it hard to know what sound type one is listening to...