PDA

View Full Version : BDP5200/12 always wants to format SD Card

Hok v H
01-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Hi,

my BDP5200/12 (FW: 1.35) frequently tells me to format the SD card, even though it has been sitting in its slot for a long time.

I think it happens if I push the eject button too quickly after turning it on (before it shows the home menu). At least it hasn't happened so far when I pay attention and force myself to wait for a few seconds.

Could it be a bug in the FW?

lucas1970
01-30-2012, 11:24 AM
I would say normal behaviour. You need to give the device some time. As you already say you do it quite fast...

Hok v H
02-04-2012, 08:39 PM
I would say normal behaviour. You need to give the device some time. As you already say you do it quite fast...

Normal? I don't think this is normal for living room equipment from one of the world's leading manufacturers.

And I share this player with my kids. Tell them to be patient when they hold their new Harry Potter, Star Wars, you name it DVD in their hands.

If clicking a button too quickly breaks the device, they (that is Philips, not my kids) can put a delay loop in the firmware. Shouldn't be much more difficult than that.

ArkhamAsylum
02-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Normal? I don't think this is normal for living room equipment from one of the world's leading manufacturers.

And I share this player with my kids. Tell them to be patient when they hold their new Harry Potter, Star Wars, you name it DVD in their hands.

If clicking a button too quickly breaks the device, they (that is Philips, not my kids) can put a delay loop in the firmware. Shouldn't be much more difficult than that.

Hi, I'm new to this forum and also have a BDP5200. The only time i remember being prompted to format the SD card, I was in NetTV. Have you tried using another SD card?

Hok v H
02-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and also have a BDP5200. The only time i remember being prompted to format the SD card, I was in NetTV. Have you tried using another SD card?

Thanks for the hint.

I had tried a few different cards before, all with the same result.

Now I noticed that they are all Class 2, i.e. rather slowish. Yesterday I took a fast class 6 card from my DSLR camera and put it under stress.

So far it hasn't asked me to format the card (except of course right after I inserted it).

Apparently the speed of the card is the problem. And that the BDP doesn't seem to wait for slow ones.

ArkhamAsylum
02-14-2012, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the hint.

I had tried a few different cards before, all with the same result.

Now I noticed that they are all Class 2, i.e. rather slowish. Yesterday I took a fast class 6 card from my DSLR camera and put it under stress.

So far it hasn't asked me to format the card (except of course right after I inserted it).

Apparently the speed of the card is the problem. And that the BDP doesn't seem to wait for slow ones.

you're welcome. I'm also using a Class 6 SD Card. I read somewhere that only Class 6 and above is supported.

Hok v H
02-17-2012, 08:42 PM
I read somewhere that only Class 6 and above is supported.

Well, not quite. The user's manual says that you need a 4GB Class 6 SDHC card if you want to rent videos from online shops (which I haven't tried yet). Otherwise it speaks only of SD card with 1 GB free space.

But anyway, class 6 SD cards don't cost a fortune any more. The player is still worth its price plus 6 Euros for a new SD card.