PDA

View Full Version : [Wish] Please add an "audio delay" option for Home Media Player devices (HMP)

Toengel
02-02-2012, 06:58 AM
Dear all,

I'm thinking about buying a Philips Home Media Player (HMP3000, HMP5000 etc.). However, there is one reason which prevents me of buying a HMP: the LACK of a audio delay function.

The problem is the following:

HMP would be connected to TV with HDMI
Since Philips TVs do not support DTS, I need to connect the HMP directly with my amplifier (e.g. SPDIF)
However, due to the image processing algorithms, the TV needs some miliseconds to display an image
=> this results in a delay between the video and audio

For this reason, I need a audio delay option in the HMP device. For example, the Blu-ray player BDP9600 has such a feature for digital audio output.

Please, Philips, add this feature in an upcoming firmware update for the HMP devices!

Toengel@Alex

kwinnie
02-02-2012, 07:05 AM
i think this audio delay function does a great value-added job...
as i can see the forumers are requesting this feature here & there in the forum on Home Theatre and also on Blu-rays...

hey all, if you feel in the same way, please support the suggestion from Toengel...

centpede
02-02-2012, 08:04 AM
I support this useful request. Furthermore I want to ask the Philips Product Management Team about future support of BluRay-ISO container on their Mediaplayer, including 3D HD framepacking capability. This stops me at the moment from buying a Philips mediaplayer, even though my complete remaining TV-infrastructure is based on Philips products only (TV, BD-Player, Soundbar).

Fox
02-02-2012, 11:07 AM
yes. i also support this request. i think this feature will be usefull in alle Video divices with an audio output. (TV, BD-Player -> Soundbar)

Toengel
02-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Hi,

I also think, that this feature is a buzzword for marketing!

Toengel@Alex

smart
02-02-2012, 07:15 PM
I think, this audio delay is a feature, which would be obsolete if the TV would loop through the DTS audio signal. To have a consistent eco system, this should be the priority.

Second, it would be good, if that delay would automatically applied. Like a back channel to the HMP. Something like audio out of the TV is connected to HMP input and the HMP calculates the delay of the DTS out from measuring the difference of both signals.
Sounds a little complicated, but should work.

Toengel
02-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Hi,

this idea is great - however, it would only work, if one connects the HMP with the TV's HDMI-ARC - but mostly it is used to connect a soundbar.

So - what's your opinion in the poll (scroll to the beginning of the page *G*).

Toengel@Alex

smart
02-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Haha, you had a close look at the counts. I really did not make a decision.

Since I do not like ugly workarounds and this seems to be one. To adjust a seperate delay to have the audio matching to the video and even doing that by hand is not a good user experience. I do not want o have such a system aat my home. I want to have it working with exactly matching audio/video with "just one tip of your finger" to get it play ...
The technology we have is such powerful but often too complicated, just by bad designs.

Such problems prevent me from spending money on that.

I'm really thinking about a HTS and DTS is a nice thing, but if I need such workarounds, I might have to wait until I will find proper devices ...

bertie
02-11-2012, 04:04 PM
i have HMP 5000, connected byHDMI to tv and optical to HTS surround sysem, i do not get delay on sound compared to movie.
i play from harddisk, mkv and h264 files.
also i found in the options the line: sound synchronizing or something like that, is that a solution for you?
if i misunderstood your remarks i apologise

Toengel
02-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Hi,

I bet you have also connected your TV with your HTS via HDMI-ARC, right? If yes, I think this is the reason for being synchronized.

However, I didn' have bought any HMP yet... just waiting for the right HMPx000 ;-)

Toengel@Alex

bertie
02-12-2012, 11:20 AM
@Toengel,
yes that is correct, HTS is connected with HDMI-Arc.
does that solve a part of the problem you described?
most TV sets have stereo or a dolby sound system , but not DTS, so you always need the connection to a surround system?
in the configuration of HMP 5000 there is an option"lipsynchronisation"in the audio;choose auto/off /manual, is that what you mean by audiodelay?

probably you are technically far ahead of me , so i try to understand what exactly you mean

Toengel
02-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Hi,

you can test the following. Watch a DTS movie with your HMP and switch your HTS to SPDIF (to your HMP). Additionally, do NOT mute your TV. If now the sound of the TV is in line with your HTS (no echoes), the Lip Sync is perfect.

Consequently, the TV sends the Lip Sync command to your HMP and the HMP will output the audio via SPDIF with an correct delay.

That's the perfect solution.

The reason I'm asking for this feature is the following. I have a BDP9600 connected to my Philips TV (via HDMI). The BDP is connected to my Receiver with SPDIF. If my receiver output the BDP sound and my TV speakers are on - I have a massive delay (echo). However, the BDP does not have a so called "Lip Sync", but an "audio delay" option where I can setup some delay in milliseconds - however, it's done manually (and never perfect).

Toengel@Alex

bertie
02-12-2012, 11:54 AM
thx for the explanation,my HTS(incl bluray) can be switched off on sound ,as a message comes up
TV sound or HTS sound.
i must enjoy DTS on my HTS , and surprisingly the lipsynch is on most files i played (MKV,H264)perfect