PDA

View Full Version : Wake on Lan Activation for NP3500

Erzengel
02-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Hello,

how can I enable the Wake on lan function at the Philips NP3500? My Buffalo LinkStation Mini will change that is always in the hibernation if not every minute she gets a magic packet. It is not possible, the LinkStation Mini will awaken from sleep on without the PC to turn on. Thanks ever for the help.

Tias
02-13-2012, 02:48 AM
Hi !

The NP3500 can't issue WOL packages, but it looks like you can configure your Buffalo Linkstation to "always on" (=No WOL needed) instead of "auto" (=WOL necessary) mode. See this link (http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=21999).

Cheers !

Erzengel
02-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Thank you for your help!
I know that the link station has a switch which puts them in continuous operation. This I do not want. I want to save power and prevent erosion of the hard disks. Pity the Philips NP3500 can not send WOL packages. :(
This would be a new feature for the next firmware update from Philips! :)

smart
02-13-2012, 01:17 PM
I support that wish of WOL implementation.

I think, Philips should do a step in using WOL in several of their products. For TVs, this would enable the TVs to be waken from from stdby by the MyRemote apps.

And it is a great technology to be able to turn devices off, if they are not needed. Also that is the mode one ca save the most power...

Tias
02-14-2012, 01:09 AM
WOL is not part of the standard UPnP and/or DLNA protocol. But I agree, it would be neat, although tricky to set up for an average user...

I have never seen a NAS that goes top sleep and requires a WOL to come back online (since such a NAS would never pass UPnP/DLNA certification anyway, hehe).
The idea with a NAS is that it should always be powered up, ready to serve whatever clients that requests data from it.
(And typically, an idling NAS doesn't consume very much power.)

Cheers !

Erzengel
02-14-2012, 08:03 AM
I think the WOL technology is an important contribution to the conservation of Resurcen. Of course you can make NAS server is always on. :( But it is better who runs a NAS server only when needed. :) Perhaps it should be integrated into the WOL UPnP / DLNA protocol as an extension. My DLNA certified Buffalo LinkStation Mini will turn off (in Auto Mode) if it receives no WOL magic packet. I think it should not be difficult for Philips to integrate a WOL function into the firmware of the NP3500!