PDA

View Full Version : Which model should I choose? Has Philips improved since PUS7600 ?

3DFreak
12-11-2017, 05:17 PM
Hello,
Which model should I choose for my mother? Has Philips improved since PUS7600 (which I own), or should I choose Sony or LG ?

At the moment I'm thinking 7272 or 7502 models. Which one of these 2 is better? Or should I go for some other model? Size should be around 48-49" and would like to get a really working Smart tv with great picture, maybe back lit LED tv, great remote, medium sound would be enough, since it will be connected to sound system. Ambilight on top and edges +HUE is a must if I go for Philips. Mother already has a Philips Hue Go and a color bulb.

Thanks!

3DFreak
12-20-2017, 12:03 PM
Anybody? Opinions?

tony1986
12-21-2017, 07:54 AM
Just a couple of weeks in with Philips and what you read on the internet about the software is actually true, if I could return this TV I would choose a LG with WebOS 3.5.

3DFreak
12-21-2017, 09:49 AM
Hello Tony and thanks for your reply, which model do you have, and what sucks in that device?

To me it seems that Philips is trying hard to get happy customers, there now even exists PUS7600R3 mainboard to satisfy unhappy customers it seems. And mainly most important good sign, is that companred to for example Huawei, Philips is offering updates to older devices also, and in case of PUS7600 this is very much still needed. Also Forum is working better now, at least with computer, have not tried to login with my mobile. So this is why I'm considering buying fourth Philips, but a bit still dissapointed after 48PUS7600.

I would appreciate more input from different people also, and if possible from these devices like 7272 and 7502. These seem to have pretty good price value quality relation. And if understood correctly both tvs can be Android TV 7. I would also like to know what are the key differences between these two. It is hard to tell by reading internet sites, since there are mistakes and missing data on some sites. And on Philips site there are no further information, like the chip and memory amounts, do not mean save space, but actual RAM.

Thanks!

tony1986
12-21-2017, 10:59 AM
Hi there,

I have a 65PUS8102, which is a quite expensive model (€2300). For me the software feels like it's, specially after the latest firmware, not finished. Default apps like Youtube don't even work properly, TV feels laggy overall. I think I just expected more from this investment. The remote did receive an update but it just doesn't react like it should from like 3,5 meters away, often commands won't be received. I tested with a Harmony remote and that works way better. Picture Quality is also having problems, it did improve a bit with the latest firmware but that firmware also introduced (more) performance issues. This is a new model, it comes with Android 6.0. No word on Android N yet, but hopefully/probably it will be release.

What is this PUS7600R3 mainboard you talked about? I did a Google search came up empty. Just curious.

Thanks.

tony1986
12-21-2017, 11:32 AM
Hi there,

I have a 65PUS8102, which is a quite expensive model (2300). For me the software feels like it's, specially after the latest firmware, not finished. Default apps like Youtube don't even work properly, TV feels laggy overall. I think I just expected more from this investment. The remote did receive an update but it just doesn't react like it should from like 3,5 meters away, often commands won't be received. I tested with a Harmony remote and that works way better. Picture Quality is also having problems, it did improve a bit with the latest firmware but that firmware also introduced (more) performance issues. This is a new model, it comes with Android 6.0. No word on Android N yet, but hopefully/probably it will be release.

What is this PUS7600R3 mainboard you talked about? I did a Google search came up empty. Just curious.

Thanks.

3DFreak
12-21-2017, 01:21 PM
PUS7600R3 mainboard means that it seems that Philips might be replacing faulty (too weak hardware) PUS7600 series TVs with a change of hardware, meaning that mainboard. They (R3 mainboards) should be from 2016 models (PUS7601) and PUS7600 is a 2015 model with Android TV 5 and it seems they can not upgrade it to Android 6 or 7, but when and if they change the motherboard the update can be done.

Not glad to hear that you are not satisfied with your 2017 model and with that price range TV, since I'm also conciderig of buying again Philips, mainly because of great Ambilight + HUE feature. Hope you get Android TV 7.

As for the picture quality, I had to put from my PUS7600 Gamma adjustion to max to get a picture that I like, and for the colours to be better for me. Maybe you also try that option, if you are not happy with picture quality. For me it was the colours that were not right, but when I adjusted Gamma, it got better.

Btw. have you tried LG, how it is better?

Schlbuditz
12-21-2017, 03:46 PM
My 7150 was replaced with a 7502 and what a difference! This one just works, no problems at all.
I belive the 7502 is better then the 7272 since it has the P5 processor and same HW as the POS9002 OLED. 7272 shares HW with the 2016 lineup if I'm not mistaking?

Holdo
12-24-2017, 11:10 AM
I had 65PUS7600series and the display broke after 2 years, so last month I bought 7500 series and honestly I am very happy. There are only 2 things I would improve and they both are related to ambilight:
1. Ambilight is not able to produce dark red color - it is either orange or violet/ pink
2. When the screen has a black color, ambilight goes off or dims (which is great, because 7600 tv went into white light), but the connected hue lamps still reproduce white color which destroys the dark scene atmosphere.
Besides that I am really very happy (i do not comment the sound, because I use the 5.1 sound system gor TV).

Holdo
12-24-2017, 11:11 AM
I had 65PUS7600series and the display broke after 2 years, so last month I bought 7500 series and honestly I am very happy. There are only 2 things I would improve and they both are related to ambilight:
1. Ambilight is not able to produce dark red color - it is either orange or violet/ pink
2. When the screen has a black color, ambilight goes off or dims (which is great, because 7600 tv went into white light), but the connected hue lamps still reproduce white color which destroys the dark scene atmosphere.
Besides that I am really very happy (i do not comment the sound, because I use the 5.1 sound system gor TV).

3DFreak
01-18-2018, 04:52 PM
There are only 2 things I would improve and they both are related to ambilight:

Hello,
here are a few possible solutions to your problems with Ambilight:
1- Have you checked from the settings, that which background color you have chosen, this means the wall colour or curtain colour. This can affect the Ambilight colours.
2- Again the settings, have you tried to put the whole Ambilight dimmer when watching movies, I like it to be a bit dimmer when I watch. I also have 2 Hue-Go lamps + PUS7600.

3DFreak
01-24-2018, 10:05 AM
For all you people who are planning to invest a lot of money to a new tv, I would advice you to wait for tvs to have HDMI 2.1 version. This brings "4K/120Hz video" and to me this seems like active 3D@4K. And also the tvs at that time should be real 4K televisions, also ready to take in 4K broadcast from Sat or cable or air. And ofcourse MAYBE the tvs will already at that time have a proper Android TV operating system. I think that this present generation of 4K televisions are beta stage and software also beta stage, maybe we should call them still FULL HD televisions with some extra features. Seems the industry is just collecting money with another pointless generation of tvs that should not exist, not at least should be called their own generation, but just a phase. Proper 4K television come after they have HDMI ver. 2.1 or later.

3DFreak
02-09-2018, 10:12 AM
We whent with 49PUS7502 and hope that this will be a long time tv to my mother and easy to use with no hichups :) There is of course no HDMI 2.1 but the HDR HLG format seems to be quit strong choise for future broadcast after some years past (4-10 years or so) (might be other locations sooner, and satellite quite soon (?)).

Will post here later about the model and experiences and differences to my 48PUS7600. What I have read here in this forum seems to be not so much talk of this model, so hope this is a good thing. And Android TV 7 has arrived to this model it seems. :eek:

3DFreak
03-02-2018, 10:23 AM
For all you people who are planning to invest a lot of money to a new tv, I would advice you to wait for tvs to have HDMI 2.1 version. This brings "4K/120Hz video" and to me this seems like active 3D@4K.

Also waiting for curved displays to 3D glasses, which would make them much more convenient and ergonomic to use. This is another new feature I hope for the hopefully coming 3D@4K generation.

3DFreak
03-15-2018, 09:58 AM
So, I promised to post about some differences with XXPUS7502 and XXPUS7600, which in my case are 49PUS7502 and 48PUS7600. Well the key difference is that the new PUS7502 just works with no hichups, it has also now Android TV 7 compared to PUS7600 Android TV 5.

PUS7502 seems to be a bit more basic tv in all of its features; like design - no nice glamorous lit Philips logo on the front of the tv, grey frame instead of black, remote is much more basic and IR instead of brilliant RF remote which was a bit unpracticle because of the fancy buttons; Also no twin tuner or 3D, both of whom I would really miss and thats why I did now swap the tv to another version at least not yet. PUS7502 is in every way faster and better, but more uses more cheaper solutions with the thing mentioned earlier, one thing worth to mention, is the different EPGs, I like em both, and to me faster is always better, both have still trouble retrieving the EPG data, but hoping that it will be fixed later.

PUS7502 is a pretty good and ready product, compared to PUS7600 at the time it was released. PUS7600 still does the job, but just with a bit more hichups than one would hope to...