PDA

View Full Version : Improve the video navigation and configuration possibilities

Bastrup
02-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Hi,
Just invested in the 40PFL6606T, this partly in order to get rid of the external streaming device. My first experiences with the interface for streaming videos over DLNA is not just positive. First, I was a bit discouraged by the number of formats supported, but I can live with that, it only converting the current video collection to a supported format. Time consuming but possible, and something that I have experienced before with other streamers.

What really frustrates is the limited possibilities for navigating in movies, when playing. In order to improve this interface, I have a couple af suggestions of simple things that would drastically improve the user experience:

1. Add a resume possibility when re-entering a previously played movie
2. Improve the possibility skipping forward and backwards in movie. This could be by fixed jump lengths in time, but even better to support the chapters build in in many standard formats (MKV being a good example). To get some good examples, take a look on some of the stand alone streaming devices available.
3. Faster FF and FREW, with the inclusion of a time counter when using, so you can see how far you are in the movie
4. Enable support for subtitle tracks in the movies. This would really please the wife.

Kind Regards, René

a_Tom
02-14-2012, 09:17 AM
this has been discussed a lot of times and nothing of it will happen on the sets...
live with it, i use a HMP5000 besides my BDP8000 and im fine.

Bastrup
02-14-2012, 09:45 AM
What a sad reply to read, the idea of smart TVs seems to vanish in the haze. There must be a rather large customer base behind the wish for better navigation, given that it has previously been discussed a lot of times. A good indicator on how much the network feature is actually used and that it really is a selling factor.

So is technology the limiting factor here?

Anyhow, I really hope that Philips is a cleaver company, using customer feedback to improve their product.

tschaimes
02-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Hi,

I fully agree to Bastrup.
It was a not unimportant part of my decision to buy the 52PFL8605 in order to have kind of all-in-one device. I very often watch movies which are locatedat at my computer. So I am really disappointed too, as far as the video navigation is concerned.

What I miss most is the possibility of direct time input to immediately reach a location within the movie. And I really cannot understand, why this is not implemented, that's an essential feature in my opinion.