PDA

View Full Version : Only stereo on HDMI - what TV/BD(DVD)-models? Why?

Sofus
02-11-2012, 04:30 AM
I have an older surround receiver with no hdmi. I prefer to let my TV do the switching between sources. Direct Coax/spdif bd-amp is no good solution for me.

When i connect my bdp7500 to my pfl9705 the bdp hdmi-sound is always only stereo (two channel, not even coded with ProLogic so surround is impossible). Both player and TV have newest fw.

The bdp gives multichannel on hdmi when connected to a newer (friends) receiver.
The TV gives multichannel passthrough from other DVD-players, Playstation3, PC m.m. But not from bdp7500.

Does anybody have the same or similar problem with other models and combinations? What models does work, if any?

Why does this problem occur (on newer TV.models with passthrough as an advertised feature)?

Any remedy?

Philips?!

Toengel
02-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Hi,

does also occur with BDP9600 in combination with Philips TV. Since it works on other TVs, it is a Philips TV related issue...

Toengel@Alex

Sofus
02-12-2012, 09:16 AM
I would think it is a Philips BDP - issue also, or rather a Philips BDP/TV issue. I doubt that, among the pass-thru types (on others it doesn't matter), Philips TVs are the only ones that tells the HDMI source (eg BD-players) to "go stereo". Besides, the 9705 TV works fine with other players (DVD, PS3, PC). I guess this is only a Philips-issue, or are there other brands that "encourages" the customers to go for another brand when adding components to their TV - or buying TV when one already have a player. I mean it seems to be a solution here to mix Philips with other brands. I thougt the opposite was better both for the customer and for Philips. Philips; sort this out!

Philips - Thomas
02-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Hi

As the TV is the Device which gives out Sound and Video with respect to HDMI and HDCP regulations, the TV is not allowed to Receive and forward Sound Signals others than it can handle it on its own.
BDP receives Signals via HDMI what the TV can handle and what not. So the BDP will not send out Sound others than Stereo.

Solution:
Connect the BDP via HDMI, SPDIF or other Multichannel connections directly to an Audio Receiver and then besides that via HDMI to the TV.

Regards
Thomas

Toengel
02-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Hi,

@Thomas

Well, Philips TVs can handle AC3 (see EDID information of the TVs):

CE audio data (formats supported)
LPCM 2-channel, 16/20/24 bit depths at 32/44/48/88/96 kHz
AC-3 6-channel, 640k max. bit rate at 32/44/48 kHz

So, the TV should be able to passthrough AC3 (see also Clarification 3 with your comment: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?2223-Important-Bugs-which-need-to-be-fixed-in-2010-firmware-(TV550R1) DTS passthrough will NOT work, it is only working for DD.).

Consequently, DolbyDigital 5.1 passthrough should work in the BDP->HDMI->TV->SPDIF->Receiver setup.

If I connect my notebook via HDMI (with slight software setup adjustments) to my Philips TV, the setup is working with DolbyDigital 5.1. So passthrough of DD 5.1 is working!

There must be some issues of the TV in informing HDMI devices, that the TV is capable of AC3.

So, please fix this issue!

Toengel@Alex

Sofus
02-13-2012, 04:26 PM
DD5.1 passes though my 46PFL9705 from all other sources I have connected to the set (Playstation3, laptop and Samsung DVD. It is only my Philips BDP that the TV set obviously "tells" to go stereo. One of the reasons I bougt the PFL9705 was the passthrough-capability. The TV-manual also says that oe should not connect DVD-players etc directly to the HTC but let it go via the TV (because of lip-sync and ease).

Sofus
02-15-2012, 01:02 AM
Is it correct that AC3/DD5.1(+6.1?) works for bdp7600 on some or all Philips TVs (with ARC?)? Maybe it works on the 2011-TV-models, but not 2010? I think I am going to buy a 7600 to check...

Kiro
02-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Hi Sofus,

are you sure it is possible?

Because of HDCP limitations I do not think that TVs (from ANY manufacturer) can pass-through DD from another HDCP device...

It can be ok with a PC because there is no HDCP, but from my experience TVs can not output protected digital contents from protected sources, these must be converted in PCM or at least Dolby Prologic II (if available on the receiver).

Toengel
02-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Hi,

if you connect your HDMI-Notebook to your Philips TV and take a look at the e.g. Nvidia preferences, you will see, that the Notebook<->TV connection is HDCP enabled...

Toengel@Alex

Sofus
02-16-2012, 03:21 PM
According to TV manual one should not connect DVDs etc directly to surround amp but via TV like I have done. HDMI-TV-digtal 5.1 out works with my older DVD-player, PS3 and PC. But it might be dependent on content, I am afraid I haven't tested with regular DVDs (but copys). Elswhere on this forum it is also confirmed that it works with bdp7600 and 2011 Philips TV. I would think this should be the case with all TVs with Audio Return Channel. That is the whole idea with ARC isn't it? Or is it only for TV sound? I haven't tested the HDMI ARC btw, only coax (SPDIF), but that should be the same or even less HDCP-restricted, or?

Kiro
02-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Hi Toengel,

what contents are you sending to the tv from your PC? BDs? Or downloaded sample files?

I can only send sample files and it works, but original copy protected BDs I don't think they will...

Maybe I'm wrong, but is what I can see on my devices

Have you tried with a DD file directly on a USB stick? I can't do it now but once at home I'll check ;)

Toengel
02-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Hi,

I tried it with a original DVD. But as Sofus said, the passthrough works with his old DVD player...

Toengel@Alex

Sofus
02-16-2012, 03:27 PM
DD files on USB in TV works (DD out on coax OK) but maybe not for copy-protected files..

Sofus
02-16-2012, 03:32 PM
I guess it is a bug in the 2010 ARC TVs (9705) that makes (some?) BDPs go stereo. Maybe Ill buy a bdp7600 just to check

Kiro
02-16-2012, 04:11 PM
And here we are!! :D

I heard somewhere on this blog that this was a behaviour of 2010 BDPs: they'd protect all sound output through HDCP... but at least for DVD playback this would not apply on 2011 players...

Sofus
02-16-2012, 05:09 PM
I jus bought a 7600. Will report soon! But i have my doubts, because of post 2 on this thread (topic), maybe Ill need a 2011 TV or BDP of another brand (but i need analogue 7.1)...

Sofus
02-16-2012, 06:49 PM
IT WORKS with BDP7600 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 46PFL9705 passes through 5.1 from BDP7600 (but not from 7500) to receiver via coax!

Toengel
02-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Hi,

wtf? BDP7600->HDMI->9705->SPDIF->Receiver? And passthrough of Dolby Digital 5.1 works?

Toengel@Alex

Sofus
02-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Yes! Ain't it sweet :-) Whaddaya say Philips?!