PDA

View Full Version : WII sound Dolby Prologic II via Digital Out

Roborob
02-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Experts,

I have connected the Wii game console via a Scart cable (both video and audio) to my TV (42PFL7665) with the latest firmware installed.

I also have cable from the TVs SPDIF Digital Out to my Home Cinema System. The home cinema switches automatically to Stereo, Dolby Digital, DTS, etc. depending on the signal the TV is sending to the home cinema.

My Wii is set to use Surround sound, and it is sending Dolby Prologic II to the TV. However, the Digital Out is sending PCM Stereo signal to my Home Cinema set instead of Pro logic II.
Did I make a mistake in my setup or is this the way it is working?

Would it make sense to use the phone jack to feed audio from the TV to the Home Cinema to get Prologic?

Obviously, I could connect the audio from the WII directly to the home cinema, but I prefer to have the choice between TV sound or home cinema sound.

Regards,

Roborob.

Philips - Thomas
02-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Hi

via Scart only Analog Stereo Sound is transmitted.
For Dolby or any other Digital Audio Format you need a Digital Connection, which, Scart is not.

Regards
Thomas

Roborob
02-13-2012, 09:35 PM
Hi Thomas

If I understand coorectly from http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-pro-logic-ii-details.html then pro logic surround is encoded into the regular analog stereo signal, and the home cinema is decoding it into surround sound. I know for Dts or dolby digital it works differently. So scart should in my opion not be the limiting factor. Or am I missing your point?

Philips - Thomas
02-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Hi

if you connect the Audio diretly to a Home Cinema System, i dont know if that works, for the TV at least i can say that only analog Stereo will be transmitted.

Regards
Thomas