PDA

View Full Version : NP3900 reproducible freezes when back button is pushed

streamiumowner
02-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Hi Philips support,

I'm an owner of both a NP2500/12 and NP2900/12 Streamium device for three years now. Apart from several serious firmware bugs both devices suffered from in their early life, I'm now very, very happy with these Streamium devices. Over time, both have proofed to be a good investment. So, when the need for another streaming client came up, I did not hesitate to buy a NP3900/12, which I received just yesterday. Boy, am I disappointed! The NP3900/12 looks nice, has a really great sound, etc. etc., but within minutes of using it I stumbled over a nasty bug, which renders it quite useless for me - deja vu all over again. :( Philips, I actually can't believe that a device, which is the successor of NP2500 und NP2900, which by now have a very mature firmware, can show such a basic issue.

Ok, this is the issue: I'm using my new NP3900/12 (and of course also the NP2500 and NP2900) with a Twonky Server version 6.0.38. When playing certain mp3 encoded songs hitting the Back button on the remote control will cause the NP3900 to freeze - a loud creaky tone sounds and the device just freezes. The only way to revive the device then is to pull the power cord. The issue is reproducible and happens only with certain songs. Both the NP2500 and the NP2900 do not have this issue (with the same songs). Philips, could you please investigate this issue and fix it with a firmware upgrade? I'm happy to provide you with sample mp3's which cause this issue.

Thank you!

Philips - Remko
02-13-2012, 07:44 AM
Hi streamiumowner,

I have send you a personal message. Please check your inbox.

Kind regards,

streamiumowner
02-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Hi Philips Support,

"Philips - Remko" contacted me via PM regarding this issue. I supplied him with sample mp3 files, which cause the issue in question, and additionally ran some tests for him. Haven't heard from Remko for several days now and he also did not reply to my PM asking for a status. Any news on this issue?

Regards

Philips - Remko
02-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Hi Streamiumowner,

Please check your inbox again since I replied this morning.

Regards,

streamiumowner
02-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Hi all,

I have done some testing to find out what is the reason for the issue I described in the first thread post. I narrowed the issue down to the cover image embedded into the mp3 files which happen to cause the issue. I.e. if the mp3 has the cover image embedded the issue occurs, if no image is embedded the issues does not occur. Please note that both the NP2500 and NP2900 (and also other DLNA clients and MP3 players I tested with) do not have any issues with these cover images.

I provided Philips with this information and also with sample mp3 files and the cover image in question. This should be enough info for them to be able to debug and fix this issue. I hope this issue will be resolved with the next firmware upgrade.

Regards

streamiumowner
04-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Hi Philips,

any news when this issue will be fixed? It has been two months since I reported this bug...

This is also a good time to point out to other NP3900 owner two more issues I noticed with the current firmware (G5.59S) and reported to Philips two months ago:

The NP3900 has problems with ampersands (&) in MP3 tags. For instance the artist name "Blank & Jones" is shown on the display as "Blank & Jones" when the song is playing. However in the music tree the ampersand is shown correctly.
Cover art is scaled/stretched to the physical aspect ratio of the NP3900 display. (Depending on the cover art) This looks really awful IMHO. The way the NP2x00 displays cover art, i.e. unscaled and the bottom of the cover image cropped in order to fit it to the screen, looks much better.

Kind regards.

k1200rs
05-28-2012, 06:19 AM
What is sad in all this, is that the NP2x00 player software is better than the NP3x00 one. You just gave 2 examples but there are several others (especially when using an Android control point). So, either the people who developped the 3x00 FW are not the same as the ones who developed the 2x00 FW or they just lost the documentation :-)

streamiumowner
05-29-2012, 06:30 PM
This situation is sad and unfortunate indeed. One more field of technology that Philips lost to competitors - not because of bad products per se, but due to missing and inadequate product support. Almost four months since I reported these issues and no fixed firmware or at least a word from Philips. :-(
I'm actually thinking about giving back my NP3900, it is not really usable it its current state. And I've already started to advise anyone who asks (I'm the tech-savvy guy friends and family ask) against Philips Streamium products, now that the NP2x00 are not for sale anymore. A friend of mine just went with Logitech...