PDA

View Full Version : Some 3D movies "unvieuwable" , image out of sync

Griz
02-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Hello,

I got a BDP3280/12 player with a 7000 series 42"passive 3d TV.

I have a problem when watching some of my 3d Movies namely Rio and Narnia;Chronicles of the Dawn threader, but i also found out Ice Age 3 and Gullivers Travels 3d have the same problem in 3d. Other movies like, Tron Legacy,Transformers Dark of the Moon, The Hole 3d, Conan, and 7 others are perfect.

When I pause the movies with the problems, you can clearly see that the frame for the left eye is different then the frame for the right eye, this causes, with both eyes opened, your image to be blurry and very discomforting to watch.

The EXACT same problem is discribed in this topic; http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1769597 and http://forums.highdefdigest.com/general-discussion-both-formats/120247-rio-blu-ray-3d-problem.html except this is for a LG BluRay player, here it is solved with a software update.

I already phoned the problem in at the Philips dutch phone support and they said they never heard of this problem and that they will take a look at it by trying out the same setup and movies.

There is also a topic on the BDP 7000 series forum that seems exactly the same;
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?4081-Problem-reading-some-3D-Blu-ray

I already updated my player and TV to the latest firmware, and the problem still persists. I think there is a problem with the 3D coding used on some of the blurays. Something with left and right being coded first.

Anyone else having these problems with those movies? Hope there will be a fix for this soon, or else it will be a surprise if my 3d movies will work correctly if i buy them, and they are already expensive enough as it is.

Thanks

Regards, Chris

Nieuwe
02-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Hi Chris,

I've got the same problem with my 5200 player and 7606 TV.
It's a problem from the 5200 and I've mailed with the philips support department.

They send the problem to the technical department and they assured me that they will look in to it.
So, Philips has heard of the problem now.

As soon as they have a solution for the problem I'll post it here.

Eric

Kds
05-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Hi Chris,

Same problem on BDP3280/12 with "Sammy's Adventures 3D" ("Le voyage extraordinaire de Samy" in French).
For reference for philips tech team the ASIN#: B00405T2T6

Regards

paanaz
05-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Hello,

same problem here with combination of bdp5200 and 7606 tv. Tried only ice age 3 3d film. SBS 3d .mkv films work fine when watched from computer.

Maybe they fix it someday...

lucas1970
05-21-2012, 11:59 AM
I think better read this and continue here....http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/archive/index.php/t-3108.html

Gae
05-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Same problem here.

I have the Philips BDP3280 player connected via HDMI to an LG DM2350D. So far the following 3D Blurays have played out of sync (each eye comes in at a different time making them unviewable).

Drive Angry
A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventure
Dolphin Tale

All other 3D Blu-rays that I've played (about 40 or so) have been fine. I've had this player 6 months now and spoke to customer support a few months ago but still no news. Is there going to be a firmware update on this issue or are Philips just going to blame the 3D TV for the problem?

Gae

Griz
06-06-2012, 10:36 AM
5 months since the problem is reported. Latest update doesn't help. Still the same problem.

I think better read this and continue here....http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/archive/index.php/t-3108.html

Thanks Lucas, but it isnt a problem with discs not playing, the player decodes some 3d movies wrong and the image is just totally off.

Thinking about just returning it, I want to count on my player to play all movies the right way(I would be really peed off if "Avengers" has the same problem :(), not just some. More and more 3D movies are coming out and there is no way of knowing of they work correctly or not on your player. Theres nothing on the box about the way the movies are encoded, and looking now about 10% doesnt work correctly on multiple Philips players.

Please fix this Philips!

paanaz
06-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Problem with my BDP5200 and 7606 is gone now. Don't know if it was because of firmaware update or adjustments on settings. I read somewhere that should try to put scaling to "original" (no scaling), I have used it on 1080p24 before. I did that and also upgraded to newest firmware, and finally could watch that Ice Age 3 in 3d.

Griz
06-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Tried it again yesterday evening on my BDP3280. Fiddled with some scaling settings and the 1080p24Hz settings and normal 1080p.

Didn't work.

Also had a chat again with custumer support. Again they are going to look at the problem and see if they can fix it. (Narnia and Rio 3d)

Makes you wonder how many types of 3d codecs there are.

Horizon Europe
06-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Tried it again yesterday evening on my BDP3280. Fiddled with some scaling settings and the 1080p24Hz settings and normal 1080p.

Didn't work.

Also had a chat again with custumer support. Again they are going to look at the problem and see if they can fix it. (Narnia and Rio 3d)

Makes you wonder how many types of 3d codecs there are.

Hi I also have an LG cinema 3D TV and a Philips Blu Ray player atached to (BDP3280) and I f****ing cant look at Drive Angry 3D. My eyes are going crazy. Some parts of the movie are watchable for example if there is little or no movement and when there is movement the image is out of sync. It feels like you are "cross-eyed" thus destroying the entire experience.
Now a little bit of my bakground. I know this is not a problem with LG's passive technology. Why? Because I have a large collection of 3D movies. I even have freakin Panasonics excluve Avatar 3D version. All these movies work without a problem. I know what I am talking about.
Now I bought Drive angry 3D and the stupid ass Philips player has issues.

Thats really bad quality and the fact that Philips is not responding or fixing this problem is really really sad. As far as I can tell these Philips Blu Ray 3D players are garbage. Philips Customer support HELLLOOOO please fix this problem !!!!!

Toengel
06-29-2012, 08:32 AM
Hi,

maybe this is also one of the BDs where the left and right eye images are on the wrong side... try to rotate your glasses about 180 degree for testing purposes.

Toengel@Alex

Horizon Europe
06-29-2012, 08:42 AM
Hi,

maybe this is also one of the BDs where the left and right eye images are on the wrong side... try to rotate your glasses about 180 degree for testing purposes.

Toengel@Alex

Hi Toengel

I just tried the method you described. There shouldnt be a need to flip the glasses by 180 degrees since cinema 3D setting lets you flip the eye setting in their menu. But just our curiosity (one never looses hope) I tried it. Same problem! You can relly this problem in the beginning of the movie in the diner!!! Unwatchable its crazy its like you are cross eyed. The image completely out of syn.

Toengel
06-29-2012, 08:52 AM
Hi,

can you make a photo?

Toengel@Alex

Horizon Europe
06-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Hi,

can you make a photo?

Toengel@Alex

Hi Toengel,

thanks for quick reply. I dont know how I should take a picture of that since the 3d effect (or in this case out of syn 3D) cant be replicated in a 2 dimensional image.

Toengel
06-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Hi,

does it looks ok if you close the eyes seperately?

Toengel@Alex

Horizon Europe
06-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Hi,

does it looks ok if you close the eyes seperately?

Toengel@Alex

I found this link and it describes exactly what I am seeing: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1389476/found-problem-with-3d-in-rio-drive-angry-need-solution

Horizon Europe
06-29-2012, 04:46 PM
After a marathon of tests and the suggestion of Toengel today and having read the article posted above I finally found a SOLUTION (but still the philips blue ray player doesnt function properly):

A: Yes the article is right !!!!

"Here is what is happening. In all the other blu-rays, both images, the one for the left-eye and the one for the right-eye are the same, just moved slightly to create the 3D depth. However, in Drive Angry and Rio, the images going to the left-eye and right-eye are moved AND are different. My eyes see this as a blurry mess.

For example, in the opening sequence in Rio with the birds, I paused the action, left my 3D glasses on, and closed my left eye, and I see the birds with their mouths open, when I close my right eye, I see the birds with their mouths closed. This type of thing. This is happening in the fast-action scenes with things moving very fast. When things are moving slower, there is less of a difference, so my eyes perceive the 3D correctly."

As you can see from the example images that I took from the example scene that I mentioned earlier (the diner), by the way I wan to thank Toengel for making me take pictures one can clearly see that in the same frame the mouth of the chef is half way closed on the right eye and on the left eye it is all the way open 12211222

I think everyone can clearly see what I mean. There are indeed two entirely different frames packed into one single 3D frame. Of course this leads to distortion which confuses the brain and thats why the 3d effect isnt working. But its not an issue of the TV its an issue of the blu ray player from Philips which sends incorrect informations (inverted wrong images) to the brain.

This needs to be patched and fixed as quickly as possible by Philips. They cannot ignore this issue any longer.

B: There is a fix home-made fix but its uncomfortable

In the settings of the LG cinema 3D Tv setting you can select "3d picture correction" Initially I thought it will correct this problem but it doesnt it just flips the frames. However the frames are still displayed incorrectly so using this option doesnt solve the issue.

3: The big bang
In fact what needs to be done in addition to select this option as in the image above then is to rotate the passive glasses by 180 degrees (with the nose piece up) and bada bing now you have it. It works the 3D effect is working and it is showing how its supposed to be. This is quiet uncomfortable (as you can from the photo of myself) but at least I can now watch the movie without faulty images.1224

D: My conclusion and a personal message to Philips
There is a fix but its uncomfortable. But it doesnt change the fact that Philips BDP3280 is sending a faulty output signal to the TV namely wrong frame for the left and the right eye.

DEAR PHILIPS PLEASE PLEASE FIX THIS. LG FIXED IT ON THEIR PLAYERS. WHY CANT YOU !!!!

I hope this helps guys. And thank you for your input.

Tobs
07-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Hi there all,

Unfortunately I am also suffering from the same 3D viewing problem with the BDP3280 - for me its the "Narnia - Voyage of the Dawn Treader" 3D-BluRay: The images displayed for the right eye are shown a part of a second earlier in the plot than the one for the left eye, causing the 3D-effect to fail but in contrast creating a blurry motion effect leading to dizziness after watching for more than a few minutes.

For example, this effect can be clearly seen in the opening scenes of the film, when an airplane moves across the screen: When the film is stopped in the moment the plane "leaves" the screen, on the picture for the left eye the plane is still in sight while on the picture for the right eye, it has already left the screen. This is not only a difference in the viewing angle (which I understand is necessary to create the 3D effect) but a distinctive time lag.

I already addressed this issue with the Philips Hotline in Germany back in March 2012 (after researching the prob on Toengel's blog - btw.: Thx, Toengel, for your most helpful blog, it has helped me big time with several issues I had with the IP-EPG of my Philips Flatscreen - and I had hours of joy reading the comments of my fellow sufferers:-)) and was told by Philips (back in May2012, after I repeatedly inquired about the status of this issue) that this would definitely be a software problem and would be solved with one of next firmware updates. However, since then 2 firmware updates have been released (which I both brought to my player) and none of it fixed the issue.

So here I am, still patiently waiting to be recognized with my problem (which, however, seems not only to be mine alone;-) by Philips/Customer Support... How difficult can it be to correct this issue? It only seems to be a software fault? I would definitely appreciate it, if anyone of Philips could give some information on when this will be fixed (the German hotline is not able to since they do not seem to get any reliable tech information - in June they did not even know that there will be a new firmware update for the Player only 2 days before FW 2.38 was officially released;-)

Regards,

Tobs

Philips - Remko
07-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Dear All,

We are currently investigating the issue and will come back to you as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Pacman
07-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Better give the ean codes of the movies

Horizon Europe
07-04-2012, 06:51 AM
Dear All,

We are currently investigating the issue and will come back to you as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Dear Remko from Philips

thank you for taking this problem up. Please fix this as soon as possible. We cannot watch these movies properly.

thanks

Lets hope they are really doing something about !!!!

Philips - Remko
07-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Hi All,

Please make sure that you mention the EAN numbers for the movies that give problems.

Thanks and kind regards,

Horizon Europe
07-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Hi All,

Please make sure that you mention the EAN numbers for the movies that give problems.

Thanks and kind regards,

I start with Drive Angry Blu Ray 3D: EAN number 5051890029454

FIX THE PROBLEM !!!

Tobs
07-12-2012, 08:58 AM
For my "Narnia" BluRay the EAN-Code would be 5903570067617.

Regards,

Tobs

Griz
07-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Wow, finally some more people with these problems. Been more then half a year now.
And a Philips reaction! Hope it will get fixed soon now.
I got Rio 3d back today which I lended to some collegues and they had no problems whatsover with the movie. This triggered me to check this post again.
Thanks for the elaborate post Horizon, its exactly the problem i'm also having, in fact, i first thought you quoted some of my earlier posts about the problem :)
I also read some of the links you posted this was also interesting and i think thats the problem:

Both of these movies were encoded with the right eye as the first stream and the left eye as the second stream. Almost all other 3D Blu-rays have the left eye as the first stream. Some Blu-ray players have a delay between left and right eyes (as reported below) when faced with this type of uncommon disc, which is a bug in the player.

I also got Rio back, and the EAN number is 8 712626 065050

Regards,
Chris

Horizon Europe
07-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Hi All,

Thanks and kind regards,

Any progress? How long does it take for you guys to fix this? We cant watch the movies ! Hello !

Tobs
08-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Heureka:-) After half a year the Tech Guys have finally managed to address this issue with recent Firmware Update 2.44 - at least as regards my "Narnia" BluRay. Now the right/left eye streams seem to be displayed properly, no "blur" visible when viewing in 3D anymore. Thank you, Remko, for picking up this problem again after the German support hotline had ignored it for quite some months.

Regards,
Tobs

Horizon Europe
08-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Heureka:-) After half a year the Tech Guys have finally managed to address this issue with recent Firmware Update 2.44 - at least as regards my "Narnia" BluRay. Now the right/left eye streams seem to be displayed properly, no "blur" visible when viewing in 3D anymore. Thank you, Remko, for picking up this problem again after the German support hotline had ignored it for quite some months.

Regards,
Tobs

I can also confirm that drive angry 3d is now working correctly. However the firmware update also implementet the follwoing copyright protection ! The following description came with the new firmware !

"Compliance with new regulation from AACS (Advanced Access Content System) by implementing the Cinavia watermark content protection solution from Verance. With this Cinavia watermark implementation, the player will not be able to play unauthorized copied disc. For details on Cinavia protection technology, visit Cinavia Online Consumer Information Center (http://www.cinavia.com). "

In other words they are giving us something but at the same time they are taking something away from us. TYPICALLY Philipps

kwinnie
10-12-2012, 09:21 AM
issue resolved for 5300/ 5200 and 6000
and according to philips rep, they r working on the other models

CBPira
01-11-2013, 03:20 AM
Dear Remko from Philips

Here in Brazil the problem persists. Even update firmware to version 3.53 the BDP5500/78 continue with the same problems with Fox 3D blu rays like Ice Age 4. Any solution of Philips?