PDA

View Full Version : Can't ARC get to work on AV Receiver

Lassy
02-16-2012, 09:08 PM
I just installed the Yamaha RX-V671 (latest sw) and I'm failing to get audio from my 46PFL7605H12 (latest .046 sw) to the receiver. Both have ARC HDMI ports and should be HDMI-CEC compatible.

I've activated EasyLink and ARC on the TV and ARC on the receiver but it won't work. The TV doesn't even detect the receiver automatically. It does not appear in the Home menu automatically either.

I've powered down both devices several times and I've tried different HDMI cables as well but no luck. I've even reinstalled my TV completely but it does not find the receiver at the automatic adding devices bit. It gets stuck at searching for devices...

What am I doing wrong? Or are these devices not compatible?

Current settings:

Dit zijn mijn EasyLink/ARC instellingen:

TV (46PFL7605H12):
EasyLink: On
Easylink-remote: On
TV Speakers: Easylink
Pixel Plus-Link: Off (tried On as well)
Subtitetles..: On
HDMI 1 ARC: On

Receiver (Yamaha RX-V671):
HDMI Control: On
ARC: On
Standby Sync: On
Receiver automatically sets TV audio to input AV 4. I did not change that.

Devices connected to my receiver:
TV (HDMI Out/ARC)
Old LG HD/DVD Recorder (HDMI 1)
Mede8er 500X (HDMI 2)
Surround speaker set + subwoofer

I use a CI+ CAM Module as an internal decoder/TV Tuner

Please help me.

Lassy
02-17-2012, 07:23 AM
I think I found out why it is not working.

Audio Return Channel (ARC) appears only to be working with HDMI 1.4 cables. Source (http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx)

Strangely this is not been mentioned in any of the instructions/manuals...

Lassy
02-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Also with an HDMI 1.4 cable I can't get it to work :( I've followed all instructions but no luck

Nettle
02-18-2012, 02:10 PM
I think I found out why it is not working.

Audio Return Channel (ARC) appears only to be working with HDMI 1.4 cables. Source (http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx)

Strangely this is not been mentioned in any of the instructions/manuals...

Hello Lassy,

in the TV manual is explained the HDMI ARC specs of the TV and the requirement of the item to be connected for fully Easylink functionality.

Regards

Lassy
02-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Hello Lassy,

in the TV manual is explained the HDMI ARC specs of the TV and the requirement of the item to be connected for fully Easylink functionality.

Regards

Yes but nothing is specified about using HDMI 1.4, not in my manual anyway...

Nettle
02-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Hi,

i don't have your same manual so is dfficult to answer.

Sorry.

Regards

Lassy
02-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Hi,

i don't have your same manual so is dfficult to answer.

Sorry.

Regards

Well, is the HDMI 1.4 story mentioned in yours?

Nettle
02-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Yes. It's mentioned in the EasyLink section of the manual.

Regards

Lassy
02-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Strange that it is mentioned in my manual as our TV's are from the same year.

ch_harald
02-21-2012, 08:51 AM
Hi Lassy,

I have a 46PFL9705K and a Yamaha RX-V667 and ARC is working.

Following comments:

1. Easylink functionality with the TV is only in that respect that the AV-Receiver can be automatically switched on and off and volume can be controlled via TV Remote. At least the RX-V667 is not shown in the TV-Homemenu.

2. In the RX-V667 in the OSD Menu the HDMI Setting has to be ON and the ARC has to be ON. Furthermore a TV Audio Input has to be specified.

BR
Harald

Lassy
02-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Hi Lassy,

I have a 46PFL9705K and a Yamaha RX-V667 and ARC is working.

Following comments:

1. Easylink functionality with the TV is only in that respect that the AV-Receiver can be automatically switched on and off and volume can be controlled via TV Remote. At least the RX-V667 is not shown in the TV-Homemenu.

That does not work for me either. In order to see (or switch to) the receiver's OSD I need the receiver being in the TV's home menu. It does not switch automatically. In fact, I don't see any interaction between the two devices at all.

2. In the RX-V667 in the OSD Menu the HDMI Setting has to be ON and the ARC has to be ON. Furthermore a TV Audio Input has to be specified.
BR
HaraldI did all that but the TV audio is not transferred to my receiver somehow.

Could you please specify your Easylink/ARC settings on your TV and receiver?
What kind of HDMI cable are you using?
Are you using a CI+ CAM CARD or an external decoder/tuner?

I've added my current settings to my first post.

Your help is very much appreciated!

ch_harald
02-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Hi Lassy,
I am currently not at the set but looking to your settings these seem to be fine both on TV and also on the AV (I also use AV4 on the Yamaha).

As HDMI cable I use a "hispeed" one, through which also 3D contents is possible; I assume that's the standard for HDMI 1.4

Devices connected to my receiver:
TV (HDMI Out/ARC)
Topfield SRP 2410 Sat Receiver (HDMI 1)
Philips DBP7500MKII (HDMI 2)
Apple TV (HDMI 3)
Surround speaker set + subwoofer

I watch TV primarily using the Topfield but sometimes also using the built-in SAT Tuner (and CI-Card) or DVB-T Tuner of the TV and then I get perfect sound (including Dolby Digital) via AV4.

What would be of interest for me:
1. Can you see the signal of your DVD Player connected to your receiver on your TV?
2. Can you see the OSD Menu of your AV-Receiver on your TV?
3. (I guess you checked this but just to be complete) Is the AV-Receiver for sure connected with the HDMI-ARC input of the TV (it is HDMI1 at my Philips TV)?

BR
Harald

Lassy
02-21-2012, 02:00 PM
What would be of interest for me:
1. Can you see the signal of your DVD Player connected to your receiver on your TV? Yes
2. Can you see the OSD Menu of your AV-Receiver on your TV? Yes
3. (I guess you checked this but just to be complete) Is the AV-Receiver for sure connected with the HDMI-ARC input of the TV (it is HDMI1 at my Philips TV)? Yes
BR
Harald

All signals to the TV (HDMI 1) are fine. I just don't get audio return.
TV reports: "Connecting to amplifier failed - activating TV speakers"'

When I'm using a SPDIF digital audio coax cable from TV to receiver the audio is put through but then I get the infamous audio drop outs.

Many thanks for your input so far!

ch_harald
02-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Sounds weird :-(, especially with the TV error message it seems to be a CEC problem

Did you try the sequence regarding HDMI control described in the RX-V671 under chapter 3 (page 22 in the German manual)?

Is for sure no other device phsically connected with AV4 on your receiver?

Do you have the latest FW on your Philips TV?

Sure that you are using the right cable?

Any chance to check with another AV Receiver to verify who is the "guilty" one?

All signals to the TV (HDMI 1) are fine. I just don't get audio return.
TV reports: "Connecting to amplifier failed - activating TV speakers"'

When I'm using a SPDIF digital audio coax cable from TV to receiver the audio is put through but then I get the infamous audio drop outs.

Many thanks for your input so far!

Lassy
02-21-2012, 02:40 PM
All the answers on the questions can be found in my first post but I'll answer them anyway ;)

Sounds weird :-(, especially with the TV error message it seems to be a CEC problem

Did you try the sequence regarding HDMI control described in the RX-V671 under chapter 3 (page 22 in the German manual)?
Yes

Is for sure no other device phsically connected with AV4 on your receiver?
No other device is connected on AV4

Do you have the latest FW on your Philips TV?
Yes, as well as on the receiver

Sure that you are using the right cable?
I am using a brand new HDMI 1.4 High Speed cable (but according to HDMI.org ARC should work as well with 1.3

Any chance to check with another AV Receiver to verify who is the "guilty" one?
No

I've seen several people on various fora (AVS forum (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1327107&page=36), Tweakers.net and here (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?4676-HDMI-ARC-only-working-sporadic-with-40pfl6606t)) with similar problems with ARC. So I am not sure if it is the TV, the receiver or the combination of them two not working properly.

Philips - Thomas
02-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Hi Lassy

the TV will not add the Receiver to its home menu as this is only an A/V Receiver.
What does the Yamaha Menu say ab out connected CEC Devices?

Regards
Thomas

Lassy
02-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Hi Lassy

the TV will not add the Receiver to its home menu as this is only an A/V Receiver.
What does the Yamaha Menu say ab out connected CEC Devices?

Regards
Thomas

In case you mean HDMI-Control with CEC the Yamaha does not say anything about connected devices. HDMI Control + ARC is switched on though.

Philips - Thomas
02-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Hi

okay then it is the Question if the TV does not detect the Yamaha or vice versa.
The only thing left is to check another TV on that Receiver or another Receiver on that TV...

Regards
Thomas

Lassy
02-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Hi

okay then it is the Question if the TV does not detect the Yamaha or vice versa.
The only thing left is to check another TV on that Receiver or another Receiver on that TV...

Regards
Thomas

Shouldn't Philips test these things? I guess calling the tech support would be the best thing to do as I am experiencing audio drop outs via SPDIF Coax.

Philips - Thomas
02-29-2012, 07:32 AM
Hi

well, we can test this for sure, but what if we can not see this kind of behavior?
Does that help you? I Guess no.
I can tell you that i already asked someone here to test that with different kind of Receivers and we don't saw that behavior.

So to understand whats happening with Your Devices you need to test it.

What do you expect the Support to tell you? Why not asking Yamaha for Help?

You need to understand that without testing no one will be able to help you.
Sure this takes Time and efforts but when done you can say for sure where the Issues comes from and then, if the TV is the Source, we can act.

Regards
Thomas

Lassy
02-29-2012, 08:23 AM
The reason why I suspect it to be the TV is the fact that other people experiencing problems with this TV. Especially the audio department is known to be faulty (like the drop-out problems). ARC is not working with other receivers as well as you can read on this forum.