PDA

View Full Version : disable permanent timeshift

kaczy
02-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Hello,

how do I turn off the permanent time shift, so that it only started when I press pause and ended, when I press stop? I want to protect the hard drive. it should go into standby when I only watch live TV.

br
kaczy

Philips - Thomas
02-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Hi

what does Timeshift brings you if you have to wait for the Hard Drive to "wake" up and miss important Seconds?
Nothing
Thats why the Drive has to be always prepared.

Regards
Thomas

kaczy
02-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Hi,

is there no buffer to prefetch the seconds until the HDD ist spin up?
I heared that in TV's from other manufacturers, there is an option to disable permanent timeshift.

br
kaczy

Philips - Thomas
02-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Hi

if there would be the possibility to add such buffer or Cache, the external Discs would not be necessary anymore.
So no, there is no such Buffer inside.

Regards
Thomas

DerShortyy
02-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Hi

what does Timeshift brings you if you have to wait for the Hard Drive to "wake" up and miss important Seconds?
Nothing

Regards
Thomas

Would be nice if this option would work proper. i.e. when i switch to another channel the hard drive should record from the moment i have switched to this channel, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn´t work....

Perpetual Beta
02-22-2012, 09:56 PM
A 2,5" harddisk should be able to spin up in some 10 seconds. --> less than 64 MByte RAM, if you want to buffer a full satellite bouqet with 50Mbit/s. Very tiny, nowadays.

Generally time shift needs some additional system performance which seems to be a low resource here. On the other side background RAM buffering can lower the overall system load.

P.S.:
I hope Philips will support the power requirements of USB 3.0 hardware (0.9A) in 2012 TVs. Would omit some service demands.

PaulPanzer
02-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Hi

Nothing

Regards
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

that's not the answer of the question - why there isn't any switch in the menue to switch of the permanent Timeshift?
Its very painfull that the HDD is always on. For me it's no problem to wait 10s till the HDD is waked up

Please improve the whole implemantation of the HDD/Timeshift-Support !!!!

Thanks

Paul