PDA

View Full Version : BDP9600 Latest Firmware Upgrade (1.62) has been released

Philips - Remko
02-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Version: 1.62 is only released to BDP9600/12, /51, /93, /98

Version: 1.62 includes the following changes:

• Fixes the stuttering playback issues found on the Blu-ray disc Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.

The former firmware version includes the following changes:
• Fixes the following issues: (1.61)
o Speaker settings were lost after player went to standby.
o Center speaker audio was missing when center speaker is set to OFF
• Fixes the issues found on the following Blu-ray discs: (1.60)
o HBO True Blood Season 3, unintended graphics in the Bonus feature menu Trueblood lines.
o Sherlock Holmes, intermittent narration in Live screening feature.
o Jumanji, unable to select subtitles from the Subtitle list.
• Add on-screen keyboard in NetTV for easier and better navigation. (1.60)
• Add Tuneln FM in NetTV. (1.60)
• Fixes the following issues: (V1.56)
o Volume setting for multi-channel analog audio output does not work (via Setup > Speaker Setup menu).
o Audio distortion issue found on the certain audio CD’s when played back with Neo6 mode.
o Not able to format 8GB SD cards for the Video-on-Demand feature.
o Stuttering video on certain AVCHD discs.
o Playback of Avatar 3D in 2D mode
• Catch-up TV (via NetTV feature) is enabled for Netherlands. (V1.53)
• Resolves an issue of video stuttering during disc playback while connected to a wireless network. (V1.53)
• Improves the playability of Avatar Extended Collector’s Edition discs. (V1.53)
• Minor corrections in Suomi menu language text.(V1.53)
• Resolves an issue where a hang-up is encountered sometimes after restoring to factory default settings.(V1.53)
• Resolves the following issues in the Video Store feature: (V1.48)
o Video Futur Playback.
o Error in Total Time calculation of the rented video file.

Kindly download the software at www.philips.com/support

kvic
02-26-2012, 04:51 PM
thanks

usman24
03-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Hi Remko,

I upgraded the firmware from v1.56 to v1.62 and the player was almost unusable. It crashed at least 10 times in 15 minutes during playback and menu options. I downgraded the firmware back to 1.56 and it started working again.

The v1.62 has serious problems which need sorting out as soon as possible. So far this player has been very unreliable requiring restarting at least once or twice during a film.

Please let me know what can be done about the firmware.

Pacman
03-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Hi I have upgraded this and did not see any problem yet wiht the latest FW. Did you try to reinstall it again to check if it did not wnet wrong the first time you tried?

Stormen
03-05-2012, 09:57 AM
1.61 and 1.62 works fine for me, no problem with crashes.
No solution to the LFE audiobug though :(

usman24
03-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Hi I have upgraded this and did not see any problem yet wiht the latest FW. Did you try to reinstall it again to check if it did not wnet wrong the first time you tried?

I re-installed it twice. Same result. I downgraded to 1.56 and it's working again. This is the most unstable BD player I have ever owned-terrible!

usman24
03-05-2012, 10:12 AM
have any of you tried playing back any MKV's with firmware 1.62 from a usb source?

mayama
03-18-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm also experiencing problems when playing files from an USB source, either mkv or mp4, they crash every few minutes. On the whole, it's very annoying. This happens since I installed the new firmware 1.62.
Before, I only had one firmware (1.61) since it's not much I've bought the player, and these problems never existed.

Unfortunately I've been careless and when I upgraded the player to 1.62 I deleted the old firmware (1.61) from my pc thinking I wouldn't need it anymore. If I could, now I would perform a downgrade.

Is there a way to get the firmware 1.61 (italian version, file name is "bdp9600_12_fus_ita")? It's not on the philips site, nor I could find it anywhere.

Philips - Remko
03-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Hi,

We cannot reproduce your issue at our set. Could you help giving us more information on the files played?

Please send over one of the problem files or post your media info for further investigation.

Kind regards,

21_9_78
03-19-2012, 04:27 PM
I have also experienced big big hangups with my bdp9600 after upgrading to 1.62. biggest problem is the player hanging up when trying to start movies. also have problems with the player being extremly slow to react to the remote control. but the biggest problem is the firmware crashing during install så i had to reinstall 1.61 and when 1.62 was released the install was ok. but the player made me have to restart the player maybe 10 times to play a movie. so i reinstalled the 1.61 firmware. i only wish philips made the old firmware available for everyone, looked all over the place to find the old working firmware.

Toengel
03-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Hi,

with which exact movie do you have problems, where you can reproduce the problems?

Toengel@Alex

21_9_78
03-19-2012, 09:25 PM
many times it is enough to just try turning on the player. the last movie i tried is "lost in translation" on BD. but the most recurring problem is that the player just hans i have to turn it on and off. i have also had problems trying when choosings the settings menu choice and the icons disappear and it never enters the settings.

Rhino
03-19-2012, 10:17 PM
I also have regularly problems with the BDP9600/12 especially just after switching it on.

The configuration I have is as follows: Philips 46PFL9704H/12 connected to a Onkyo TX-NR906 via HDMI cable (HDMI1 input on TV) to the HDMI main output of the receiver. The receiver is connected via HDMI tot the Philips BDP9600/12. HDMI of the receiver is configured as pass-thru. So the receiver does not/should not process/alter the HDMI data.
TV is running latest f/w published by Philips. The BDP9600/12 is running f/w rev 1.62.
Audio on the BDP9600 is set to bitstream. Video output as 1080p24 but I have tried many other options as well.

Currently HDMI-CEC is off on all 3 devices but is has been on in the past.
I use the Philips Prestigo SRT8215/10 to manage the 3 sets.

First of all it takes awfully long before the 9600 is fully operational and has checked if a disc is inside or not. Often after startup is completed I get a HDCP error. Sometimes I get a green image on the tv screen with vertical striping. Sometimes it just functions ok. It is not really predictable. If there is a HDCP error I most of the time have to switch off the receiver and have to cold start the BDP9600 before it functions as you would expect to.
What also often happens is stuttering image distorted sound (clicks in the sound, etc) or very hard clicks after resuming playing when you have paused. This can almost always be fixed by ejecting the disc and reloading it. Often it looks like the "software" of the movie on the BD was not correctly loaded ejecting and reloading seems to fix this. In the past (less often with 1.61 and 1.62) I also often noticed that for example background music was on normal playing sound level while the voice sound level of the actors was barely noticeable. Ejecting and reloading the disc always fixed this.

It also often happens that the bootscreen of the BDP9600/12 appears at start up but the icons with settings, Net TV, etc never appear because the player is hung up or whatever....

Since I have rev 1.61 and now 1.62 it takes much more time to start up reliably and I have to cold start much more than before. I have tried many different sequences of starting up / delays etc but it remains unpredictable if playback will function right away as it should.

Besides that I have to make the remark that a f/w upgrade via internet doesn't seem to work for the BDP9600/12. I always have to do it via the usb stick. Why is that?

Same seems to be true for my 37PFL9666H/12 in the bedroom. For that tv it only functioned once.
For the 46PFL9704H/12 it functioned ok until I installed the version with Joint Space but that was clearly stated by Philips that that version should be installed via usb stick.

Toengel
03-20-2012, 07:22 AM
Hi,

do your problems also occur if you connect the BDP directly to your TV?

Toengel@Alex

Rhino
03-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Hi,

do your problems also occur if you connect the BDP directly to your TV?

Toengel@Alex
Hi Toengel,

No, I did not check that. The whole purpose of having a AV receiver is of course to use it when you watch a film.

I did however discover that in order for a f/w upgrade to run successfully I need to connect the BDP9600/12 directly to the TV.

I also realised yesterday evening that it has been a while that I tested the start up sequence by starting with switching the AV receiver on, etc.

Yesterday evening I tested 3 different sequences:
1. Start with switching the TV on wait 22,5 secs, than switch on AV receiver, wait 5 secs and choose right input on AV receiver, than switch on BDP9600/12, switch TV sound on Mute, wait 1,5 secs and choose right HDMI input on TV --result after detecting no disc the BDP shows HDCP error, black screen on TV
2. Start with switching on TV & BDP9600/12, wait 22,5 secs and switch on AV receiver. After 5 secs choose right input on AV receiver, after 5 secs choose mute on TV and after 1,5 secs choose right HDMI input on TV --> HDCP error
3. Switch on AV receiver, after 1,5 sec choose right HDMI input for BDP. After 5 secs switch on BDP9600/12. Wait until No Disc is detected and display on BDP9600/12 shows Home. Switch on TV. After 22,5 secs choose Mute and after 1,5 secs choose right HDMI input --> no HDCP error and all icons of the BDP9600/12 are shown.

I am going to test if scenario 3 is a reliable one and not just a 1 shot success.

Anyway it is my experience that the HDMI protocol is very timing sensitive and as such error prone.
Also behaviour seems to differ per f/w revison level. Besides that there are simply too much variables/parameters you have to watch for to get things set up correctly.

In the past I had a 32PFL9830 (HDMI v1.1) in my living room with the same Onkyo TX-NR906 and a Onkyo DV-BDF507. At that time I also regularly had green screens and vertical striping etc. Less than now but they were there. When I replaced the 32PFL9830 by the 46PFL9704H/12 I really had much less problems compared to now.
But the thing is that when everything is functioning as it should the image & sound quality using the BDP9600/12 is simply much better. The sound is really more 3D like and better defined and the picture quality is also quite a bit better!

Toengel
03-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Hi,

please try again with BDP connected directly to the TV. Only to check if the HDCP error also occurs in that combination. If not, your receiver might influence your problems.

Maybe your receiver also needs an update...

Toengel@Alex

Rhino
03-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Hi,

please try again with BDP connected directly to the TV. Only to check if the HDCP error also occurs in that combination. If not, your receiver might influence your problems.

Maybe your receiver also needs an update...

Toengel@Alex
Hi Toengel,

Although I certainly agree with you I am unfortunately not able to do an upgrade of the AV receiver f/w as the Onkyo TX-NR906 does not have the possibility to upgrade it via internet nor via usb stick. It can only be done at the repair shop via a serial connection.

Oscar
03-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Hi Rhino,

But did you try it directly to the TV, do you still have problems then?

Bye

Rhino
03-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Hi Rhino,

But did you try it directly to the TV, do you still have problems then?

Bye

Hi Oscar,

No haven't done it yet.

As soon as I have tested it I will post my findings.

Best regards

Rhino
03-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Hi Toengel/Oscar,

I have tested it since I also wanted to upgrade the f/w of the BDP9600/12.
First of all I seemed to have found a reproducable working start up sequence with the Onkyo TX-NR906 but since I promised you to test a direct connection as well here are the results:
Connected the BDP9600/12 directly via HDMI cable to my 46PFL9704H/12 and it was no success at all. Tried it several times at HDMI input 4 on the TV and I also tried HDMI input 1 on my TV and I got no image. Several times at bootup of the BDP9600/12 the TV displayed "This video format is not supported" and then the BDP9600/12 would display "HDCP error". Note the BDP9600/12 was configured for 1080p24 output and this format should be supported by the 46PFL9704H/12.

Since it didn't work I just connected it again like it was with the Onkyo TX-NR906 in between. Tried to get that working again but now the configuration that used to work didn't work reliably. The HDCP handshake took awfully long to complete and often it didn't work ending with "HDCP error"on the BDP9600/12 and sometimes accompanied by an earlier message on the TV "This video format is not supported". In cases it did complete I often had a snowy screen displaying the standard screen of the BDP9600/12 when no disc is loaded with lots of horizontal striping.
When at last I was fumbling around at the connector at the Onkyo side I got a nice and clean display again.

It seems I have a hardware problem and to be honest I am suspecting the connector at the end that is either connected to the TV or receiver and is connected at the other to the BDP9600/12.

I have no time now to go on (have to go to bed :( )

So testing is to be continued....

N.B. v1.63 is installed and working. At least "The Tourist" was loaded right away and the image was looking good the 5 minutes I watched it.

mayama
03-28-2012, 08:25 AM
I've upgraded my player with new firmware 1.63 but the problem started when I installed 1.62 still remains. This problem did not exist with firmware 1.61.

Basically any video, mp4 or mkv, I play from the USB source (a 32 GB USB key, but I've also tried a 16 GB and a 8 GB one for that matter) crashes after a few minutes and the screen goes back at Home. Crashes usually do come after the 5-6 minutes mark so chances are that if you play a 2 minutes video, you won't see the issue. So try a file that is at least 30 minutes long (the problem should occur from minute 5 to 15 approximately, or slightly later from my experience).
You've asked me which videos I do play to reproduce the issue on your set. I'd say it's not very important since there aren't videos that don't crash, it's a common problem. Anyway I mostly watch anime episodes encoded in mp4 1280x720 or mkv 1920x1080 (my tv supports Full HD), file lenght is around 25 mins, and encoding usually comes with aac audio and 8bit x264 video.

What's odd? With the 1.61 version of the software no clip has ever crashed. In addition, just for the recording, I also have a multimedial player (WDTV live gen. 3.0) and the same files play just fine. So it's not a problem on the files, but definitely on the device, with 1.62/1.63 software.

Last thing to note, the dvd or blu-ray reproduction doesn't seem to be affected (still not tested with 1.63, but with 1.62 I could play full lenght movies either in dvd or br and nothing odd happened).

So I don't know what to do. It's a month that I'm unable to play videos from the USB port my bdp9600. And I don't know why the problem doesn't show on your set as well (perhaps it's the language? Perhaps in some languages the fw version is bugged?)
I'd really like to perform a downgrade and go back to the 1.61 version. I've asked last time and I ask again, can you provide a version of the 1.61 firmware? Why do I have to endure such annoyances when the solution on your end would be so simple?

EDIT: after performing the downgrade to 1.61 thanks to a kind member here, I must say that unfortunately the problem is still there. The clips (played through USB stick) keep crashing just like before. As I previously said, I've watched several videos with the firmware 1.61 and they were all fine. After upgrading to 1.62 my player has never been the same anymore. Upgrading to 1.63 didn't change the situation, and downgrading to 1.61 didn't sort any effect either.

Rhino
03-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Have you tried resetting the BDP9600 to factory defaults and the reconfiguring it to the settings you need?
Have you tried disconnecting the AC power and then waiting for a few minutes and reconnected it again?

mayama
03-30-2012, 06:58 AM
Have you tried resetting the BDP9600 to factory defaults and the reconfiguring it to the settings you need?
Have you tried disconnecting the AC power and then waiting for a few minutes and reconnected it again?
Yeah, already tried both with no avail. I wish I'd never installed this 1.62 fw. But since a firmware caused this problem, I certainly expect Philips being able to solve it through another firmware.

Stormen
03-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Hi

I made a litte discovery that was to our benefit in this test of reproducing the hickup your player has about the specific mp4 file.
I actually havent upgraded my player it was still 1.61 - but even better :-)
So I downloaded the movie file and putted it on a USB stick. I played it for 20 minutes without any problems of freezing.
Then uppgrade to 1.63
Played för 15 minutes and still going without problems.

The only theory left is if there is some sort of clusterproblems with your file/hardware that ex makes the BDP9600 gets hickups but another player doesnt takes notice about.

I' comparing for ex with scratched DVD's
When I playback from my old DVDplayer Sony 757 (from -1998) I can still skip top next chapter if theres is some scratches or the pictures start to hangs or get stutter.
On my other old DVD player Samsung 725, (2005) if there is a scratch there is a complete blockout in the player and it totally hangs, can't do shit and have to turn it of.
I have experienced the same with this Philips bdp 9600 when streaming from network with a file with some missing blocks or incorruppt data. It hang's and stalls, and there isnt much to do then just pull the plugg.

So nontheless I dont think it got anything to do with the firmware verions otherwise that the player doesnt like when there is corrupt data.
When you tried to play it from different devices, (32, 8, 16GB USB Key) was it the same copy from your harddrive in your computer ? Perhaps there is an error on that one ? It's a longshot I know. :rolleyes:
But try to download it again and see what happens.
Cheers

(really strange I couldnt reproduce it)

mayama
03-31-2012, 05:05 PM
So I downloaded the movie file and putted it on a USB stick. I played it for 20 minutes without any problems of freezing.
Then uppgrade to 1.63
Played för 15 minutes and still going without problems.
Today I played it again on a different usb key and it crashed at 23:49 mark (file lenght is 24:30). Then I played a different file and it crashed in the first 5 minutes. There isn't a rule set to when a file crashes, it's just usually unable to play until the end.
While mp4s are most affected, mkvs are too. I played a mkv file that surprising went without crashes, but then to be sure I tried it again and it crashed immediately. I've also changed the usb keys used to reproduce, but nothing different.

On the whole, I don't think it's a matter of files. I may try to re-download them, but the point is: there are just too much of them which crash. If I play 50 different clips and at least 49 do crash, the faults can't be of the files. All of this while remembering that until I had the fw 1.61 these crashes had never happened, not even once.

Toengel
03-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Hi,

can you post a link to a file, which crashed...

Toengel@Alex

mayama
03-31-2012, 05:39 PM
Sure. Here's one, the same tested by Stormen. Also the one I tried before and crashed at 23:49 (of 24:30)

This is episode "25" of the series, but of course I had crashes also with episodes 24-23-22... and so forth.

Rhino
04-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Hi Toengel/Oscar,

It seems I have a hardware problem and to be honest I am suspecting the connector at the end that is either connected to the TV or receiver and is connected at the other to the BDP9600/12.

So testing is to be continued....

I got some strange problems again. Decided to remove the Vivanco HDMI cable connecting the BDP9600 with my Onkyo TX-NR906 and to test it on my 37PFL7666H/12 and Onkyo BDP506 in the bedroom and... no image at all on screen. So now it was 100% sure: most of the problems were caused by the HDMI cable. I quickly went to the "Ik ben toch niet gek"/ "Ich bin doch nicht blöd" shop in Breda and bought a cheap HDMI cable which worked right away instead of the expensive but defective one :) :(