PDA

View Full Version : EPG and recording => unusable

AndreasEK
02-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Hi,

I bought a USB drive today to start using my TV as recorder. What a failure. The EPG is already unusable as a tv program guide, but trying to program it to record some shows is just close to impossible. I am close to returning my tv because of the state of the software.

Normally, in these kind of posts, I list the things I noticed, but I don't even know where to start. As soon as you would do some exploratory testing on this feature, it is becoming obvious that this feature is unusable.

Andreas

Philips - Thomas
03-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Hi

Normally, in these kind of posts, I list the things I noticed, but I don't even know where to start

What do you expect then from your Posting in this Forum?
If you want some help or explanations, please share your Questions/experiences.

Regards
Thomas

smart
03-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Maybe he does not have a Philips TV ;)

There is really nearly no information in this post regarding what os going wrong. Except, that "is unusable".

AndreasEK
03-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Maybe he does not have a Philips TV ;)

I do :) It's a 55PFL7606K/02. As for what this post is meant for (other than some "venting"), first check if there are others out there, who share the same experience. As I said, I am normally quite willing to list things in detail, but in this case, I think I might just record a video to show how bad it is :)

So, question: are you happy with the usb recording capabilities? have you tried to record a program that is broadcasted in a few days? I don't even imagine that I might want to program a few things for a three week holiday ...

To start the list
* screen menus sometimes don't fully load
* it's not clear, where the focus is, in the EPG
* the EPG's layout is a joke
* it's not possible to filter the senders the same way as in the sender list
* the senders icon's load slowly, if they load at all
* half of the screen is wasted for app advertisments

Mariop
03-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Bought a 46PFL9706 last weekend and I must admit that I am disappointed as well with the USB recording functionality as well. Tried the Internet EPG but this was not full functional, so I switched over to EPG provided via my cable tv provider.
May I suggest that the developper/designer take a look to current cable Settopboxes in te market?
For example: A simple thing like single key press to jump 5 minutes (configurable value) to skip commercials during playback

Just wondering, I cannot find this in the configuration options, when I pause TV (or schedule a recording) I am expecting the screen/display to go into a "screensaver" mode after a (configurable) time..

Feedback is appreciated..

Thank you

smart
03-02-2012, 07:42 AM
So, question: are you happy with the usb recording capabilities?
It's a pity, I own a 2010 TV and usb recording was enabled on 2011 models the first time. So I can't use recording. But I was interested in the feature and how it is working, so I was reading your post.

To start the list
* screen menus sometimes don't fully load
* it's not clear, where the focus is, in the EPG
Maybe you can retry, since there were issues and Philips did some maintenance. I just used it today in the early morning and it was working fine.

* the EPG's layout is a joke
I don't think it is bad. What do you dislike? I prefer the new SmartTV portal style, but this is some kind of everybodys taste.

* it's not possible to filter the senders the same way as in the sender list
I have heard of the filter and sender list thing, but I don't use the lists myself.

* the senders icon's load slowly, if they load at all
Maybe the load speed is fixed now, it was very speedy on my side today.

* half of the screen is wasted for app advertisments
Yes, for sure there is an ad, but this is not related to software quality or usability of EPG.

A video is good, it says more than many words. Seems, that I could not help much on that things.

kaczy
03-03-2012, 07:15 AM
Hello,

I have an 42PDL7906K/02 (with the latest FW) and the behavior of the navigation in the EPG Menu is very slow.
I miss the Function to Record a TV Serie eg. daily at 18:00 or weekly, because I'm not at home during the week.

br
Kaczy

AndreasEK
03-13-2012, 10:05 PM
As I said, I am normally quite willing to list things in detail, but in this case, I think I might just record a video to show how bad it is :)

So, here's my video. At least the menues now load fully, and the focus is also a little improved, but all in all, I still stand by my opinion that it's largly unusable. I might cope with it, but I know for sure that my wife will never use it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCgqcywhNuI