PDA

View Full Version : HDMI ARC not workign for digital

Rvonk
03-04-2012, 01:05 PM
I've been trying to connect an Sharp HT SL-50 Home Theatre System. Since the my 32PFL6606 TV does support HDMI ARC, this should not pose any problemes. However, only analog stations work with the soundbar. All digital stations are scrambled.
I can control the volume of the scrambled signal, CEC/Easylink works fine (recognizes the soundbar; but with scrambled sound the thing is unusable unless you have a DAC converter in your ears.

I'm using a Ziggo CI+ module. To me, this seems to be a problem with the Philips hardware/software.

Anybody any ideas on how to solve this?

Firmware: Q5551-0.14.93.0

petasis
03-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Maybe the TV outputs the sound as received from the digital channel, and your home theater cannot decode what it receives as input?

What does the TV display as audio in the status page, when you have tuned a digital channel? Is the format displayed there supported by the home theater system?

Rvonk
03-06-2012, 07:16 AM
I think you are right. The Sharp soundbar SL-50 manual says I have to ensure that the audio output is PCM, and not Dolby, DTS and so on. The status info for the digital channels says the output is Dolby.

Is it possible to change the audio output type of the TV (throught HDMI) to PCM?

petasis
03-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Unfortunately no...
You have to find another sound-bar.
Perhaps is there an option to switch audio in the channel itself? (Although it is rare that channels broadcast more than one channel of audio...)

Toengel
03-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Hi,

one can setup the audio to PCM in the channel setup of your TV: Advanced (DD 5.1) and Standard (PCM)

Toengel@Alex

Rvonk
03-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Hi,

one can setup the audio to PCM in the channel setup of your TV: Advanced (DD 5.1) and Standard (PCM)

Toengel@Alex

Hi Alex,

Unfortunately this does not seem to be the case. I've discussed this with Philips and they confirm there is no way to do this (strange as it sounds to me). Or maybe their service departments isn't really knowledgeable, the guy I spoke with only consulted the user manual and concluded there is no solution.

However, If you know how to do this or possibly a workaround I would be most grateful.

Toengel
03-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Hi,

did you try to find the option in the channel setup menu?

Toengel@Alex

Rvonk
03-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Hi,

did you try to find the option in the channel setup menu?

Toengel@Alex
Hello Alex, I don't have access to my TV currently (am at work); I'll try to find the option this evening. Regards Roland

Rvonk
03-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Hi Alex, I have found the option. Very strange that the Philips helpdesk had no clue about this.
Thank you! Regards, Roland

petasis
03-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Why is it strange? Owners (who use the products) usually know better than employees who just read instructions... :)

I am glad you found a solution, so as not to change the sound-bar...