PDA

View Full Version : HDMI connection: Vertical line on the right

tuby
03-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Hello,

I've connected a Humax 5600 HD satellite receiver to my 32PFL7486M/8 TV.
Receiver is set to 1080i.

I see a vertical band on the right (a few pixel columns wide) at the end of the program image.
It is visible in the black part of an unscaled SD image (from top to bottom of the tv screen).
When the image is scaled to fullscreen, it is present or not, depending on the image contents.
It may suddenly appear and disappear. It has an aspect that may be similar to the image currently displayed (a sort of "negative" effect applyed to the last colums of the program image).

It is very disturbing.
Any solution?

Tuby

petasis
03-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Is there an option to move the picture in the menus?
If you try moving the image towards the right edge, so as the line disappears, do you get a line on the other side?

I remember old Philips models displayed a green (or purple) line in this case.

Also, you can try setting an overscan > 0, but you will loose 1:1 pixel mapping in this case...

Toengel
03-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Hi,

right - you can change the borders in the video settings...

Teongel@Alex

tuby
03-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Hi Toengel,

thank you for the message.

I've seen that setting on the manual.
I'll try it at home and I'll let you know.

Regards

Tuby

Toengel
03-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Hi,

see manual page 32: [Screen edges]: Change the picture size.

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/3/32pfl7486k_02/32pfl7486k_02_dfu_eng.pdf

Toengel@Alex

tuby
03-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Than you Toengel,

After playing with tv controls, the problem is still present.

I add some interesting info.
Watching an SD transmission without upscaling, I see:

- a big vertical black band before the image
- the image at the center of the screen
- a small vertical stripe (a few pixels) that is usually black but seems to be the negative of the last pixel columns of the image.
- another small (a few pixels) and bright (white) vertical stripe
- a second big black band after the image.

TV controls seem to affect the borders of the entire tv screen, not the sampling of the HDMI source (where the problem is located).

In case I set the Humax for a grey pillarbox background instead of the default black one, the problem seems to disappear. The big grey bars on the left and on the right are now separated from the image by a narrow stripe that is always black (and not changing!).
Unfortunately, auto zoom is no longer possible (grey seems part of a good image for the scaler!), and the grey bars are very bad to my eyes!

Tuby

tuby
03-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Hello,

any idea?
Any hint from Philips?

Tuby

Philips - Thomas
03-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Hi

in this Case please get in contact with your local Call Center:
www.philips.com/contact

Regards
Thomas

tuby
03-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Hi Thomas and all the other friends,

I've partially solved the problem.

- In case the source is SD 16:9 (scaled to full screen), setting the borders from the default of 4 to the maximum value (10) can make the "unstable" vertical bar on the right of the tv screen disappear.

- This is not possible in case the source is SD 4:3. The HDMI input lines sampled by the TV have a few front and back samples that are not part of the source image and are not stable. These are causing a sort of "instable" vertical line, at the right of the 4:3 image. Due to a "pillarbox" image centering, the line is unfortunally not on the border of the tv screen. So, increasing the screen borders does not help.

I'm blaming the Humax receiver for adding those wrong samples to each line.
Philips TV scaler is just detecting and treating them as part of the image.

Best Regards

Tuby