PDA

View Full Version : 42PFL4606H - TV Volume keeps rising to the maximum value on its own

Guysta
03-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Hi,
I've bought the 42PFL4606H 6 months ago, after about a month, the TV started intermittently rising the volume on its own to the maximum value (40), the red LED that signals that the TV is receiving signals from the remote keeps blinking.
This continues for several minutes, when powering off the TV, it turns itself back on and continues with the erratic behavior.
I've tried blocking the IR receiver to eliminate any cross talk with other devices' IR, but this does not help.
Israel's Philips service center don't know how to solve this, they did not see the issue when it was in the lab, and apparently made some preventive fix in the SSB card along with a firmware update, but still this happens (lower frequency, but still does).

As this is a new TV(6 months) and has already needed 6 visits by technicians due to this issue, is there anything else I can do or guide the guys at the lab what to do with this, because I think they are clueless.

I'll appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks

petasis
03-07-2012, 07:59 PM
I would start testing by removing the batteries from the TV remote. Does it happen if the remote has no batteries? If not, just ask for a remote replacement.

Guysta
03-08-2012, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the reply, but that was one of the first things I tried, along with removing the batteries from any other remote in the house and as I said, blocking the Infra Red receiver, which does the same and more.

Any other suggestions?

petasis
03-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Blocking the IR receiver will work only if the block is not transparent to IR (which is not the same as normal light).

Since you see the led lightining, for sure the TV either receives an IR signal, or the IR receiver is broken. Can Philips replace the small board the IR receiver is?

What material have you used to block the IR sensor during your tests?

Manuel
03-08-2012, 09:20 AM
In the past some models have keyboard problems with that issue, maybe you have a Sw(vol+) problem, not a remote control problem, if you press a sw red led will flash.

Guysta
03-08-2012, 10:12 AM
petasis, I've used back side painted black thick aluminum foil.

What they suggested is some electronic noise on some of the lines, but they don't really know how to debug this as they did not succeed last time.

If the IR sensor was indeed broken, odds are it would not receive they "right" signals, which are sent by the remote.

Manuel,
I thought about this too, I'm not sure if I tried this before, but Vol+ is not supposed to power up the TV (but I'll repeat this again tonight).

Thanks

petasis
03-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Aluminum foil will block IR, so the testing was ok.

Are the TV controls (on the TV) normal push buttons, or "touch" buttons?

Guysta
03-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Touch buttons

petasis
03-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Maybe there is problem in the buttons board, and the touch buttons self-activate?

Guysta
03-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Perhaps, I will see now, the lab replaced the "main" board.

Hope this solves it this time