PDA

View Full Version : TV Reminder while watching video doesn't seem to be working

bfroehler
03-12-2012, 11:43 AM
I really like the TV station reminder functionality (which would remind you when a certain program starts at a certain station - and it gives you the option to switch to that channel).
In my first experiments with my 37PFL7676K/02, I did however find out that it only worked while watching TV; when I switched to an external video source, the reminder didn't work anymore; at the appointed time I was not reminded that the configured program was about to start.
Now my question would be why that is so? Can't be that hard to show the reminder even if currently not watching TV? That would really be a great feature then!

Philips - Thomas
03-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Hi

the TV is not able to handle 2 Streams the same time. So if you watch an external Source the Tuner does not run in Backround.
Thats why you don't get the Reminder

Regards
Thomas

bfroehler
03-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Why would the TV need to handle two streams for a simple reminder functionality?

The only things it needs to be able to do far as I can see, is keep track of the current time, and remember the time it needs to notify at... that doesn't change at all, whether currently TV is running or a video is played...

Philips - Thomas
03-26-2012, 06:45 AM
Hi

the TV needs to feed the EPG Informations and has to handle a second Stream to be able to do that.

Regards
Thomas

bfroehler
06-12-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm sorry, but in my humble opinion this sounds like the TV is doing this the wrong way then.

Once the reminder is set, the EPG information has already been read; the only thing the TV would have to do while a reminder is active, is hold on to the time the reminder was set to; then periodically, it should check whether the time of that reminder is there or near, and if it is, initiate the switch/show the reminder message to the user!

I really don't see the need to continuosly feed EPG information; I'm not sure I understand what is actually exactly meant by "second stream", a second video stream? Doesn't sound logical that this would be required to me... but maybe someone can enlighten me why this would be necessary?