PDA

View Full Version : YouTube leanback new user interface.

Philips - Mark
04-10-2012, 09:18 AM
As most of you already noticed, there is a new user interface for YouTube leanback. (At 2011 TV’s and beyond).

• The sign-in option is back. (You can link your device to your YouTube account).
• The start-up of non-selected videos is removed.

Compatibility with the smart phone Apps is not yet implemented.

Toengel
04-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Hi,

great - is this updated app also available on BDPs?

Toengel@Alex

Philips - Mark
04-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Hi Alex,

Yes, this update is also implemented on the Net TV compatible Philips BLu-Ray players.

Regards,
Mark.

Philips - Mark
04-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Select My YouTube

Enter the provided code on WWW.youtube.com/activate via a PC

The TV will confirm

Now you have access to your favorites and your uploads via the TV.

Take care, now the device will always be remembered by YouTube. Even a “clear Net TV memory” or a “clear Apps memory” will not undo the sign-in.
To Sign-out, scroll to the right and Sign-out.

Toengel
04-11-2012, 05:52 PM
or a “clear Apps memory”

Hi,

I never heard of that function? Is that different compared to "clear NetTV memory"? Where can I access this?

Toengel@Alex

rival82
04-11-2012, 07:46 PM
this new youtube is useless on my television. it can take me from 2 to 5 minutes to input my search terms as it autosearches every time i input a new character in the search box.

the auto search function should be disabled and have a search button added, or there should be a 1-1.5 second delay to the auto search from the last onscreen movement in the key entry area.

the xbox 360 has a well implemented youtube function and despite their more powerful hardware they have chosen to only have the app automatically enter the search terms after a short delay.

olaf-g
04-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Basically I like the new youtube app. I just find it a bit strange that there is no way to just enter a section. If I want to go into section 'My Youtube' the app always starts to play the first item of my favourits instantly. My workaround is that I navigate with the left/right arrows to the 'My Playlists' subsection, go into it and then I can navigate within the 'My Youtube' subsections.

Dear Philips: probably you are just one small step away to make the youtube app work together with the Android 'youtube remote' app. This would enable Android phone users to coveniently search and browse videos on their smartphone and then watch it on the TV. As the only thing what seems to be missing is that you would add the pairing which is in the normal desktop browser version of youtube lean back. The URL would be: http://www.youtube.com/leanback#pair

Fatmelter
04-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Not impressed.
Where is the Youtube external keyboard support that has been promoted by Philips in their own user manual and that made me invest in this keyboard (now catching dust) after RTFM?

This is the easy fix from Philips: a new Net TV usage policy. Never mind reading it if you are the person that generally agrees with everything: the scrolling is so slow that it takes at least 12 minutes to get through it.

Please, Mark:

increase the pressure on Youtube.
Ban the new versions until feature complete. Keyboard support is not too much to ask, especially with an already inconvenient interface.

Youtube gives priority to profiling its users and adding the sign in feature. Fine, great for whoever likes that.
Now with the commercial requirements fixed, on to the practical ergonomic side of the matter please.

tuby
04-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Even using a cable connection to the router, the autosearching feature of the Search screen makes things "very slow" (please read "not usable").
Video refresh is very often lost during autosearch. The keyboards becomes black and I can see single keys appear when I move the cursor.

The other menus seem to be better than in the previous version (its human / machine interface was simply a shame).
So, disabling the autosearching function or limiting it to display text instead of images could lead to a decent app.

By the way, a similar search function on Vimeo works very well.

Vic Vega
04-21-2012, 06:39 PM
1) How can i browse between my subscriptions?
2) How can i search videos inside selected subscription?

Vic Vega
04-21-2012, 07:16 PM
And i found another issue. Some videos from my playlist didn't play then i try to watch them appears message "this video unavailable". But they plays good on my PC.

Relevant
04-29-2012, 01:19 AM
I was happy to discover the ability to play my youtube playlist on my tv. But today it disappeared... I can still see my uploaded videos and new videos in my subscribed channels, but my playlist is gone... Anyone else experiencing it?

Relevant
05-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Never mind me, it works now, new option in the main menu (playlists) :)

CelticFC
05-07-2012, 05:45 PM
I generally like the new user interface, it's much better to use, even if the search is still very slow.

However, since the most recent update, I cannot access the "watch later" playlist on NetTV anymore. As long as the integration with the smartphone app is not implemented, this is the easiest way for me to add videos on my computer and watch it on my TV. Please restore access to the "watch later" playlist!

Edit: Never mind, after another update today, it works again. But is there any timeline for the implementation of the integration with the smartphone app?

necrocide
05-30-2012, 11:04 PM
the new interface is good but you can not type with your smartphone, to type a text, you need to type letter by letter with the remote control, and the three letter with the autosearch take 3 minutes .....

Toengel
05-31-2012, 08:20 AM
Hi,

did you installed the latest version of the App? And also the latest firmware of your Philips device?

Toengel@Alex (Toengel@Alex)

necrocide
06-01-2012, 04:17 PM
yes. i have the last app version and the firmware tv too. and i can't enter with the smartphone in the youtube app for smart tv...

necrocide
06-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Hi,

did you installed the latest version of the App? And also the latest firmware of your Philips device?

Toengel@Alex (Toengel@Alex)

you can type with the keyboard smartphone in search of the youtube app on the net tv? not in the browser..! here in search on 1154

kikonen
06-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Please provider keyboard support! Current youtube interface is really useless.

And yes, I also was mislead by marketing info, which was claiming keyboard support in youtube (perhaps it was in older version), and sad reality when I actually got tv and see that this sucking anti-keyboard, anti-usability interface.

DellUser
06-06-2012, 08:03 PM
YouTube leanback requires the YouTube Android App. You can find it here (http://goo.gl/yn0SQ).

kikonen
06-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Thx DellUser,
I had earlier tried only official Philips My Remote program, which didn't definitely convince me, and didn't fix at all this remote control issue with youtube. However, with this google's YouTube Remote, situation is totally different. With that usability is actually good.

Sidenote: Perhaps I just now need to buy some android tablet to be just dedicated to be remote to my TV... :D

necrocide
06-11-2012, 08:31 PM
ty for ur help, i make the download the app youtube myremote and now i can play the videos on tv with my smartphone very cool. ty for helping.

TVMechanic
06-28-2012, 07:53 PM
I just happened to find that there was this update, because the previous version was so lame that I used my Apple-TV for Youtube. The interface has improved, but like others mentioned, immediate search consumes too much time, and keyboard support is a 'must'.
I use a small Wii keyboard (by Logitech) which works fine on the internet app, but alsno not on the Youtube app.
I think the letters in the search area may be brighter, or is it just my eyes getting older?:cool:

Rui
07-17-2012, 09:53 AM
I agree with many of the comments here:

The Youtube app is (almost) UNUSABLE :) if you're using the TV's remote.

Typing letter by letter and the auto-search "feature" makes this app a tragedy.
Using the "Youtube Remote" is not an option: I shouldn't have to own a smartphone/pc in order to operate my tv!

_Stephan
08-09-2012, 10:48 AM
This leanback interface is the one and only true option to use the Youtube App on any television. I think it works perfect. Also as Youtube is usually at better source then some catch-up TV apps as Youtube has full HD content in most 'professional' channels.

kober
08-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Would it be at least possible that when I press "2" twice on the remote I get "B" instead of "22"? It works in the web browser, why not in the Youtube app?

Bulion
09-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Hi

Please, fix keyboard typing problem or get the HTML 5 or Flash support to browser. That is unacceptable to app works so much slow! The videos are buffering slow too, even in SD!

usabilist
09-17-2012, 09:43 AM
"fast forward" does not work in youtube app! Pressing on-screen [>>] button skips the current time counter for 10 seconds, but the video continues to play from the very beginning!

usabilist
09-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Another issue: using "Myremote" App on iPad it is not possible to enter the search item in youtube app search using iPad keyboard!

fnaguiar02
09-23-2012, 08:24 PM
In my television, youtube always prompt for activation when I try to sign in. Why this happens? Every time I turn on my tv and go into youtube I also have turn on my computer to do this activation? My tv is not "aways being remembered by youtube".