PDA

View Full Version : I cant record TV to USB without an internet connection! Why not?

mike tv
04-23-2012, 12:01 PM
I've a 2011 32PFL7606H/12. One of the reasons I bought it was I was under the impression it could record broadcast TV to an attached USB Hard Drive - no strings attached.

Well it can't not unless the TV is connected to the internet. :eek: That came as a big surprise and disappointment.

After getting over my shock and disappointment, I've managed to pull myself together to ask why? Why does my TV have to connected to the internet to record TV to a USB drive?

I can pause live TV without the internet connection, why do I need one to record? The pause and record function are technically identical.

Could some one please tell me:

Does it have to be connected all the time or is it a one off thing?
How does the the internet requirement work? What information is uploaded and downloaded?
Is it high bandwidth?

I have to say I feel really cheated by this "feature" and the way it wasn't made abundantly clear that an internet connection is rerquired for it. When I was buying the TV It was not obvious at all that I needed to connect my TV to the internet to record broadcast TV.
It wasn't part of my plan to connect my tv to the internet. It's in a very difficult location and access to the internet where it is is out of the question.

Philips - Thomas
04-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Hi

Does it have to be connected all the time or is it a one off thing?

Internet Connection has to be established all the Time

How does the the internet requirement work? What information is uploaded and downloaded?

TV has to get Informations via IP-EPG also Informations regarding, which Shows are recorded have to be send. Regulations are the same as for NetTV content.

Is it high bandwidth?

No, we are talking about requirements, like DSL 2-6000. (higher is of course better, updates like pictures in IP-EPG will be faster)

Regards
Thomas

mike tv
04-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the reply Thomas.

Could you explain why record only works with the IP-EPG and not the "broadcast" EPG? All the necessary info is there in the broadcast EPG, day, time etc.

Also why isn't there a simple manual timer setup menu where the user could manually enter a time and date [regardless of any EPG] to set the TV to record?