PDA

View Full Version : Hts9520/12

vgerwen
09-20-2010, 10:54 AM
I want to buy the Philips HTS9520 home cinema set. This device has a DNLA media browser which is capable of decoding Divx and MKV files. I have a question.
Does it also support external subtitle files like srt and ssa?

Philips
09-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Hi,

The HTS9520/12 supports the following subtitle formats (via USB only):

MicroDVD.sub,
Subrip.srt,
SubstationAlpha.ssa,
SubstationAlpha.ass,
*.txt (from MicroDVD)

vgerwen
09-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Thx!

This is good news as my TV set 37plf7605 does not support subtitles at all.

lebeno
09-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Why does the 37pfl7605 not support subtitle files while the hts9520 does? I doubt that this is a hardware issue.

vgerwen
09-30-2010, 07:20 AM
These subtitle formats are fully implemented in software. Competitors like Samsung support subtitles. In my opinion this is a must have requirement

pistoiaa
09-30-2010, 08:53 AM
These subtitle formats are fully implemented in software. Competitors like Samsung support subtitles. In my opinion this is a must have requirement

I fully agree with you: I really can't understand why a TV as good as Philips ones does not support subtitles! Probably it is for marketing reasons, because from a technical point of view it should be very easy to implement this via firmware.

Below, you can find a list of other firmware upgrades I would appreciate so much if they were implemented on my 37PFL7605:

automatic scaling of mkv video with aspect ratio different from 16:9 (now it is not available manual scaling either, so the movie is shown with distortion)
EPG from channel does not work at all here in Italy (probably it depends on a different italian standard)
re-introduction (as on 2009 TV sets) of the small channel info bar for 3-4 seconds when I change channel
GoTo functionality during movie playing from USB
better management of mkv video playing. Currently when I play a big mkv file, the TV freezes if I use fast forward or rewind functionalities
FlashPlayer support in NetTV (WII and PS3 have got it)
auto-completion during typing in NetTV
USB keyboard support

Kind regards

Philips
10-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Dear Pistoiaa,

For your information:
Philips 2009 (xxpFLxxx4x) and 2010 (xxPFLxxx5x) TV models do NOT support any separate subtitle formats (such as .srt, .smi, .sub, or .ssa) via DLNA or USB.

With regard to your 'wish list', this will be forwarded to development. We appreciate your input.

daL
10-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Dear Philips moderator,

I'd like to make a small correction on your text:

Philips 2009 (xxpFLxxx4x) and 2010 (xxPFLxxx5x) TV models do NOT support any separate subtitle formats (such as .srt, .smi, .sub, or .ssa) via DLNA or USB.

If the DLNA sender is capable of merging video and an external subtitle file, it's very well possible that a DLNA certified product like the 2010 TV model displays subtitles. I have tried several applications. Best in my humble opinion are TVersity (free and paid) and Wild Media Server (paid and expensive). The advantage of WMS is that it is capable of merging subtitles for .MKV movies as well. And no, I don't have any financial interests in mentioning this product.

Although your policy probably disallow sharing firmware's roadmap with consumers, can you please tell me if there are any plans to support subtitles (eg .srt) on 2009/2010 model televisions in the near future?

Kind regards,
daL

Cookie
10-07-2010, 07:48 PM
The fact remains that the TV by itself cannot play separate subtitle files, so statement is correct :D

Only with the help of some SW applications on the server side as you mention.
I have a Synlogy DS109j NAS, on which I cannot (as far as I know) install and run any of these applications, or can I???? Would be nice if I could.... Maybe someone can exlplain?

lebeno
10-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Does this mean that the philips TVs should play subtitles that are in the MKV container? Because my 37plf7605 does not.

Moderator, please answer the question: is this really a hardware issue, or only software? If it is software (I guess it is), why not put subtitle support on the roadmap? A lot of Philips TV users would be very happy.

I will not recommend Philips TVs to any friend as long as they lack subtitle support.

daL
10-08-2010, 01:50 PM
@Cookie

You're right. External subtitles can't be shown by Philips TV's yet. I agree with other customers that this is a must-have and not a nice-to-have.

Cheers,
daL

tarakbumba
10-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Hi from Turkiye. I have newly bought a 32pfl6605h/12 tv. On Turkish forums dedicated to electronics and computers, nearly all users told me to not buy a Philips lcd/led tv because of this subtitle issue. Everyone recommends LG, Samsung or Sony tvs. Because other than other technologies those brand's products actually play external subtitles well. Philips developers should know that they' re loosing potential customers because of this problem. People are buying other brands tvs but not Philips in Turkiye. I'm waiting a software update to solve this issue.

tarakbumba
10-17-2010, 07:10 PM
I have noticed latest driver removed from support site. Now, latest one seen as 000.075.060.001 version and release date 2010-09-16. Why 14.10.2010 dated version removed and should we downgrade?

vgerwen
10-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Just contacted Philips support

The HTS9520 does not support external subtitle files using DNLA It only supports external subtitles using USB the DNLA interface has a limitation that it can only access one file at the tiime. Due to this limitation external subs are not possible
Intenal subs (eg embedded in an mkv) are supported

Aad

ruloso
10-20-2010, 03:39 PM
@Cookie

You're right. External subtitles can't be shown by Philips TV's yet. I agree with other customers that this is a must-have and not a nice-to-have.

Cheers,
daL

That's not 100% true. I've bought a 32PFL5604/77 4 and it support srt as ssa external subtitle, but the font size is too tiny that it's useless.
I can't beleave that Philips include external subtitle file support on TVs and nobody notice the tiny font size. You need to be really close to the TV to see them, something like 2 foot close to it. So if it supports srt and ssa why them can't fix it??
My TV firmware is 0.62, on support site the newest is 0.57....
I've bought and paid 15% more than the other model because USB-MPEG4 and subtitle support, but I can't use it.
Please release a new firmware version with increase-decrease subtitle font size or full ssa compatibility.

george
10-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Others also mentioned this problem[/i][/u][/u].i just strongly have the need to post for this because one of the main reasons i bought my phillips is the brandname and the other that has internal media player(thought that would support external subs)