PDA

View Full Version : viewing subtitle when watching mp4

zebul66
04-30-2012, 08:22 PM
hello,
I am using a 32PFL7864H philips hd tv. I am a quite satisfied customer.

However, what's bugging me, is that I have not found how to watch mp4 on the tv (mp4 being on usb key or usb disk) with subtitle.
srt subtitle seems not being recognized. and embeded subtitle in the mp4 does nto seem to work either.

Is it possible to get those subtitles ? or not ?
with a firmware upgrade ? given the release message of the firmware, I doubt that it will anything.

thanks

Toengel
04-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Hi,

the only option you have, is to reencode the movie and integrate the subtitle directly into the videostream. However, to "pimp" you 2009 TV, you can buy a Home Media Player (such as HMP3000, HMP5000 or HMP7001).

Toengel@Alex

zebul66
05-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Reencoding is the worst of the solution. degrading video quality just for subtitles...

Subtitle was not invented the other night. There were there in 2009. be it in srt format or inside mp4.
I guess it's even there, in the firmware, not enabled. It was just a matter of an option to be swtiched on in the firmware. Unless size contraint or cpu power (??) ruled out that feature, and forced it to be removed.

I am just happy you didn't tell me: You have to buy a brand new 2012 TV with 3D and stuff just to get subtitle ;-)

but thanks Toengel . I did not konw about those media player without hdd. there are a little less pricey than what I heard of previously.Will ask father christmas about one ;-)

zebul66
05-23-2012, 05:45 PM
well, if I get my hands on a rasberry pi it will be way more cheaper than any philips product for may be even more feature

or a new "apc" from via http://apc.io/product/ but that one is worse than the rasberry pi in price and feature