PDA

View Full Version : WADM Software

cluey
05-06-2012, 06:13 PM
I have lost the disc and need to put the sotfware on to a new PC. Am I able to download this anywhere?

christopher
05-08-2012, 07:25 AM
try to download the device firmware manager in MCi500h page. it should be the same.

cluey
05-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Christopher, thanks for this but i am not particularly IT savvy so I am not sure how I would do this.

digigray
06-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Christopher, thanks for this but i am not particularly IT savvy so I am not sure how I would do this.

Hi Cluey, I own a couple of Philips Wireless Music systems, but to be honest, I haven't used them for a few years and when I went to install the software onto my PC the disc looked a bit scratched so I went to this page on Philips.co.uk's website;

https://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=GB&slg=ENG&sct=WIRELESS_MUSIC_SYSTEMS_SU&cat=AUDIO_PRODUCTS_CA&session=20120609230041_2.101.164.117&grp=SOUND_AND_VISION_GR&ctn=WAS7500/05&mid=Link_Software&hlt=Link_Software

and there is are links for the latest software, firmware and Gracenote, however, they haven't been updated for a few years. I installed the software and it seems to have installed okay but when I open it it starts searching for a music centre it stops working and closes itself, I'm using MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Be interested to know if you have any better luck.

Graeme.

Tias
07-19-2012, 03:10 AM
Hi !

You must make your WADM run in Win XP compatibility mode. It will run fine in Win 7 after that. (I'm on Win 7 x64 myself and WADM crashes if it's not executed in XP compatibility mode.)

Cheers !

Hherrmmann
08-01-2012, 11:41 AM
With WADM (in compatibility mode and run as admin) I had endless connection problems between PC and WAC4500; success chance of establishing the connection was about 2%.
As WAC Handler seems to rely on WADM, I had the same problem.
Yesterday I downloaded DMM, which seems to be older software than WADM, and that runs beautifully; the connection establishes each time.
But ... WAC Handler seems not to work with DMM ... does anybody have a clue on what could have caused this?

The problem I am trying to solve is, to upload M3U or PLS playlists to WAC.
When doing this with DMM, not only the playlist is uploaded but all the tracks as well, ending up with double tracks.
WAC Handler can solve this according to the specs - although I had the experience (running WAC Handler combined with WADM on the seldom occasions that the connection worked) that the playlists seemd to be uploaded but ended up as empty playlists on WAC.

Sorry for mixing up 2 problems, but decided to post both just in case of an interrelation.

Cheers,
Herman

Tias
08-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Hello Herman !

WACHandler is in no way depending on WADM and/or DMM. (All three softwares are using basically the same UPnP and Philips own discovery techniques, and additionally, WACHandler "caches" results between sessions to speed up discoveries too.)

Sometimes (!) the opposite can be true though; WADM/DMM finds WACS units faster if WACHandler runs at the same time due to the higher UPnP beacon frequency used in WACHandler.

Uploading a playlist with WACHandler works as follows, all supported formats (m3u, pls, iTunes etc) are handled the same way :
If the playlist contains URI's (i.e. pointing to resources on the WEB/LAN) they are skipped.
If the playlist points to an track that WACHandler finds in the local PC, the track tags are analyzed by WACHandler and used to see if the track must be uploaded to the WAC or not.
The most usual problem here is that the playlist doe snot contain the full path to each track, just a relative path that WACHandler cannot resolve if the playlist file has, for example, been moved form its original folder before being uploaded.
If you still have problems, please feel free to mail me a Playlist that causes you problem and I'll have a look at it.

Cheers !

Hherrmmann
08-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks a lot, Tias!

Your M3U explanation is very plausible. With a test-playlist it worked well for I while, so let's assume this can be solved.

But while playing around, I noticed that connectivity is the biggest problem. It looks like WACHandler and WADM are mutually consistent: if one is connected with WAC, the other is as well - unfortunately this is almost never.
In te meantime DMM always works OK. I assume DMM makes some kind of shortcut that WADM does not.

A strange thing: while DMM is playing music from WAC over the computer, I can fiddle with the connection settings of WADM (whereby WADM switches the wireless adapter on and off); still the music continues playing. Unless it has a large buffer, I must assume that WADM commands another wireless adapter than DMM does.

Maybe my wireless config is too odd for WADM: I connect the PC with WAC via a wifi-USB-stick; after keying in the network key the windows network panel says the connection is excellent.
IP = 169.254.118.152; subnet = 255.255.0.0 (factory settings of WAC). I submit these values into the "custom" mode of WADM, which almost never works (just like the auto-mode en the express-mode).

Any idea on what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Herman

Tias
08-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Hello Herman !

Well, DMM is the application that usually has the most troubles connecting to a WAC/WAS. But it might of course differ depending on the exact configuration where it's executed.
Anyway, WADM & DMM are almost identical when it comes to connection methodology, while WACHandler uses the same method and some additional enhancements / tweaks too.

Now, if you see an IP address starting with 169.254... it means one thing = Error.
Technically, it means that your NIC adapter (your USB-WiFi-stick) is configured to get an IP address automatically (via a DCHP server) and it fails then according to Ethernet standard,s it falls back to an address starting with 169.254... continuing then random numbers and it is not useable for everything, unless you gave a very abnormal network setup.

And now I see why you have connection problems, your USB-WiFi stick is not properly connected to your WLAN. Make sure you troubleshooted it so it connects to your WiFi router properly before you try to connect to any WACS device (using WADM/WACHandler). I can't explain why it seems o work with DMM at all in this case though, unless your in Ad-Hoc mode ( = no WiFi router involved) ?
About your buffering question, yes, an MP3 track is normally only a few megabytes in size, so it's quickly copied into a RAM-buffer in your PC during the first seconds of playback.

Cheers !

Hherrmmann
08-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Hi Tias,

Thanks for your incredibly fast answer!

Most of the time I don't use my WLAN router; this is why, just for the connection with WAC, I use the Wifi-USB-stick (this was recommended to me by a system guy).

Another peculiar thing: via WADM it always possible to see the WAS, but almost never the WAS.

Does this give a clue?

Thanks & cheers,
Herman

Hherrmmann
08-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Oops, while I was typing my message, windos came with an error-message: IP address-conflict detected.
The IP address of WAC is 169.254.118.152 (auto-IP), which is the same I give in when trying to connect with WADM.
WAS has he address 169.254.118.130.
The wireless modus is ad-hoc.

Hopes this adds some clues ....

Tias
08-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Hmm, you will be a much happier person if you set up all your WAC/WAS devices to be a part of your WLAN...
Actually, I have never heard of anyone trying to connect form a PC in Ad-Hoc mode before and I am not sure it will work at all with WADM/WACHandler.
Actually, WACHandler will not work in Ad-Hoc mode, at least not if you have more than one WiFi NIC.

WADM can only see "manageable" WAS-devices, like WAS6050, WAS7000 and WAS7500. Older WAS devices can't be configured using WADM or the webinterface in the WAS itself.

Cheers !

Hherrmmann
08-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Hi Tias,

Yes, my experiences so far seems to confirm your conclusion.

I'll give it some more tries and will report back if I found a slution or workaround.

Cheers, Herman

Tias
08-04-2012, 12:23 AM
Hi again !

Using "broken "IP's (those starting with 169.254...) will just give you headaches and will practically impossible to use. Go for an Infrastructure setup and all will be fine, or actually better, for example longer range for your WACS units ;).

Cheers !

Hherrmmann
08-08-2012, 09:09 PM
I managed to get a wireless connection between PC and WAC by setting the fixed network to a static IP address. Then I start DMM, and when DMM runs I start WACHandler and it works great. In the coming days I'll be fiddling a bit more with this, in order to find out how stable it is, if it can work without openening DMM etc....

Hherrmmann
08-08-2012, 09:26 PM
The playlist problem was mainly a virtual problem.

When uploading a playlist, it looks like the individual tracks also appear twice. But that is only appearance, as I discovered when I saw that they appear under the same filename as the original.
So they look like they are double, but in reality there is only one instance.

Cheers,
Herman