PDA

View Full Version : 32PFL3517H/12 video aspect ratio

stardust74
05-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Hi there,
my brand new 32PFL3517H/12 have the same issue of many other older models I have read in this forum: wrogn aspect ratio when playing videos from usb!!!:(
There are only 2 viewing video formats to choose from, witch are the original size and the 16:9 full screen streched size. When using this last one the video becomes deformed if is not in 16:9 format:confused:
Plase correct the full screen mode to match the original aspect ratio (or just add a third choice i.e. "full screen with original aspect ratio").
Thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english:o

Philips - Thomas
05-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Hi

indeed there are only 2 Formats besides that, the TV displays the Videos as they are. The TV uses the Video internal Information.
Just analyze your File with "mediainfo" to see the Video internal aspect Ratio Informations.

Thomas

stardust74
05-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Those are the informations from mediainfo.
The aspect ratio is 2.35:1, resulting from 1280/542.
This can help?

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 1h 30mn
Bit rate : 2 561 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 542 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.154
Stream size : 1.58 GiB (72%)

Thanks!

Philips - Thomas
05-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Hi

if you now can Upload a Photo of the Screen, how it looks like on your Side, that would be great.

Thomas

stardust74
05-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Hi

if you now can Upload a Photo of the Screen, how it looks like on your Side, that would be great.

Thomas

Thanks for your reply.

I've put in pause a video and took the following photos.

Original size (note the cirche below the moon, it's almost round):

Full screen size (the circle below the moon and the moon itself it's deformed vertically becoming an ellipse):

Thank you :)

Philips - Thomas
05-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Hi

okay so what you see is normal behavior.
1st Screen shows the Video as it is, Resolution and Aspect Ratio
2nd Screen, the TV tries to fit the Video meaterial to the TV native Resolution.

Your Video has an Aspect Ration of 21:9. TV is 16:9 so to fit to the whole screen, the TV has to stretch.

Thomas

Toengel
05-10-2012, 07:03 AM
Hi,

@Thomas

is it not possible to keep aspect ratio and only zoom the content to the borders on the left/right? In this case there should be black bars on the top/bottom. Keeping not the aspect ratio is from my point of view a huge weakness.

Toengel@Alex

stardust74
05-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Yeah, as Toengel said, I was expecting to see the video as large as the screen and black bars on top and bottom.
So, if this is considered normal behavior, the only solution is to process the video with some video utility to add black bars on top and bottom:(

desertsun
06-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Hi there,

My first post, but have been keeping an eye on this forum for several months as I have the same problem with my 32PFL5606H. As such, would like to add my voice to what Toengel and stardust74 have already said and really hope Philips are doing their best to find a solution ASAP.

Cheers :)

stardust74
06-09-2012, 09:52 PM
really hope Philips are doing their best to find a solution ASAP.

In Italy we have a saying: "la speranza l'ultima a morire", that means something like "the hope is the last to die" ;)

As said by Thomas, the moderator, this is "normal behavior": I don't think guys at Philips are spending some time to fix this :(

desertsun
06-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Let's see how Thomas responds then. Hopefully with good news, as to me it's a serious design fault that the other major brands don't seem to have. As things stand, I certainly won't be buying another Philips TV if the problem isn't solved. Come on Philips, keep your customers happy!