PDA

View Full Version : Your experiences with FW v0.14.98.0 for 8000, 9000 and 21:9 series (2011 models)

Toengel
05-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Hi,

please post your user feedback about the new FW v0.14.98.0 here.

Changelog:
· Solution for audio mute when signal is dolby/AC3.
· Solution for video audio out of sync.
· Solution for UPC in Hungary resulting in no channels installed after installation.

Important: Please perform a COLD REBOOT after updating (when TV is running again) the firmware (goto standby, wait 2 minutes and plug out the power cord for 2-3 minutes)!

If you have problems that the ZIP archive contain the old version (but the webpage indicates the new one), just add a parameter to the link. This prevents for downloading from some cache or proxy. For example:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/5/5...12_fus_eng.zip (http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/5/58pfl9956h_12/58pfl9956h_12_fus_eng.zip)

add ?a=b at the end:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/5/5...us_eng.zip?a=b (http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/5/58pfl9956h_12/58pfl9956h_12_fus_eng.zip?a=b)

Toengel@Alex

mduran
05-08-2012, 05:44 AM
Comment Philips Thomas:
This is not the real Changelog!

Changelog v0.14.98.0

- Fixed issue with PNM always on
- Fixed backlight horizontal banding
- Added support for more MKV container formats
- Reduced input lag dramatically
- Fixed glitchy Dolby Digital audio
- Faster startup

Yeah we wish, will never happen.

kookaburra
05-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Unfortunately, the main problem of the image, local dimming bug is still there. This is like a continuous torture. When going to solve this serious problem?
I have not noticed any improvement from the previous 14.97 software.

(58pfl9956)

google translator

bluevoice
05-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Installed the fw 14.98 software on my Philips Cinema Gold TV last night. For me there's still one major Easylink bug, when I use this 2011 Philips TV with Philips HTS (tested with both HTS8652/12 I own and the HTS9140/12 provided by technical service). The TV reboots during the startup sequence of the HTS. I made this new video as I can 100% reproduce the reboots:

http://youtu.be/kB9v-F8A-fc

The HTS triggers a reboot of the TV in the following cases:

1) Press on the HTS-Radio Easylink activity icon in the TV menu (see video above)
2) While inserting a USB drive in the HTS and pressing play when I want to see a video
3) When changing sources on the HTS (to i.e. HDMI1 or HDMI2) by pressing the blue "Source" button on the HTS remote
4) While changing from "watch tv" to "HDMI1" on the TV menu, if you want to switch to the HTS (to watch i.e. a Bluray disc)
5) When starting the TV as the first device and the HTS as the second device, during HTS startup the TV almost always crashes.

Reboots happen 9/10 times, when the Easylink functionality is disabled, the TV does not reboot (crash) during HTS startup sequence.

I mentioned this problem 7 month ago (October 2011) right after I purchased the HTS and Philips keeps ignoring this problem saying investigating the issue is not a high priority.

I do not understand how Philips thinks to continue selling TV's and HTS's in the future if those are not compatible with each other???

@Philips - Thomas: can you please once again bring this issue into the attention of the TV software development team?

janvan
05-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Installed the fw 14.98 software on my Philips Cinema Gold TV last night. For me there's still one major Easylink bug, when I use this 2011 Philips TV with Philips HTS (tested with both HTS8652/12 I own and the HTS9140/12 provided by technical service). The TV reboots during the startup sequence of the HTS. I made this new video as I can 100% reproduce the reboots:

http://youtu.be/kB9v-F8A-fc

The HTS triggers a reboot of the TV in the following cases:

1) Press on the HTS-Radio Easylink activity icon in the TV menu (see video above)
2) While inserting a USB drive in the HTS and pressing play when I want to see a video
3) When changing sources on the HTS (to i.e. HDMI1 or HDMI2) by pressing the blue "Source" button on the HTS remote
4) While changing from "watch tv" to "HDMI1" on the TV menu, if you want to switch to the HTS (to watch i.e. a Bluray disc)
5) When starting the TV as the first device and the HTS as the second device, during HTS startup the TV almost always crashes.

Reboots happen 9/10 times, when the Easylink functionality is disabled, the TV does not reboot (crash) during HTS startup sequence.

I mentioned this problem 7 month ago (October 2011) right after I purchased the HTS and Philips keeps ignoring this problem saying investigating the issue is not a high priority.

I do not understand how Philips thinks to continue selling TV's and HTS's in the future if those are not compatible with each other???

@Philips - Thomas: can you please once again bring this issue into the attention of the TV software development team?

Are you saying everything else is fixed with the update?
In that case I don't hesitate to install.

Philips
05-08-2012, 11:21 AM
....@Philips: can you please once again bring this issue into the attention of the TV software development team?

Dear Bluevoice,

See also reply here (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?3762-PHILIPS-PLEASE-HELP-HTS8562-12-crashing-Philips-Cinema-Gold-TV-(50PFL7956H-12)&p=32373&viewfull=1#post32373).

Regards,
JuAn

bluevoice
05-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Are you saying everything else is fixed with the update?
In that case I don't hesitate to install.

No, I'm not sure what this update fixed, there's no changelog yet. For me the Easylink reboot issue is the most annoying preventing me from fully enjoying my devices.

bluevoice
05-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Dear Bluevoice,

See also reply here (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?3762-PHILIPS-PLEASE-HELP-HTS8562-12-crashing-Philips-Cinema-Gold-TV-(50PFL7956H-12)&p=32373&viewfull=1#post32373).

Regards,
JuAn

JuAn, thanks for your polite answer, but as I told you before, I brought this issue into your attention 7 months ago. Philips had 7 month to investigate and solve this issue and at this point we're still at the same point where we started and no progress has been done at all.

Now you're telling me to wait a few weeks more until you start the investigation, I heard this before, what does it make it different from all the promisses made during last 7 months? Also what guarantee I have you're going to find a solution? How can I trust this product or future product releases from Philips anymore?

It's a shame, it's such a beautifull screen (hardware), but so buggy software.

janvan
05-08-2012, 11:41 AM
No, I'm not sure what this update fixed, there's no changelog yet. For me the Easylink reboot issue is the most annoying preventing me from fully enjoying my devices.

Well..should be easy to find out about the main issues to be fixed or not with that update.
Not just talking about your particular prob..but in general.
Please let me know..I have the same T.V.

janvan
05-08-2012, 11:46 AM
JuAn, thanks for your polite answer, but as I told you before, I brought this issue into your attention 7 months ago. Philips had 7 month to investigate and solve this issue and at this point we're still at the same point where we started and no progress has been done at all.

Now you're telling me to wait a few weeks more until you start the investigation, I heard this before, what does it make it different from all the promisses made during last 7 months? Also what guarantee I have you're going to find a solution? How can I trust this product or future product releases from Philips anymore?

It's a shame, it's such a beautifull screen (hardware), but so buggy software.

Well said..+ 1...!!!!

Philips - Thomas
05-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Hi,

Changelog added.
@Bluevoice, please use the other Thread for discussions with JuAn.

Thomas

ezekuel
05-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Hi,

Changelog added.

Thomas

I have the 46PFL9706.
Now I am really getting frustrated and angry at Philips!
I thought that I bought a top of the line TV, but NO! This is my worst purchase ever.
I bought the TV when it came out and have the bugs with PNM always on and artifacts because of PNM.
And the local dimming backlight bug is A HUGE PROBLEM ON THE TV! Whats the point of local dimming when it is not working??

And what do Philips "fix" in their firmware releases....Small bugs that no one cares about! :mad:

Fix the local dimming problem and PNM bug!

Have to say...this is my last Philips product.

MilkyOne
05-08-2012, 01:48 PM
I did a quick test because was late in the night when i updated my 46pfl9706 and it looked like the PNM bug is fix, i turn the option off and turn off the TV and back on and it looked like it was off.

About the backlight horizontal banding i rarely saw it, what makes me think if it has something to do with the image settings that each person uses. What i notice is that during a dark scene the area where the subtitles appear get brighter than the rest of the picture, but i think its the local diming doing its work, because since the subtitles are white it makes that area brighter but mantains the rest of the picture with the same level of brightness.

What i'm starting to notice is that during movie scenes when for example a clear sky is shown or watching a football match, i have vertical darker stripes, i can reproduce this with a still white imagem, where i can also see the darker white stripes from top to bottom, about 6 of them, 3 on each side. One strange thing is that if you are watching the same image from a different angle the stripes are less visible, is it possible that this is caused by the mouth eye filter and its not a software bug?

I think i read somebody else talking about this problem. But i can find the thread. Anybody else has this problem?

kookaburra
05-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Unfortunately, the main problem of the image, local dimming bug is still there. This is like a continuous torture. When going to solve this serious problem?
I have not noticed any improvement from the previous 14.97 software.

(58pfl9956)

google translator

I'm tired of waiting for an official response from Philips about the problem of local-dimmind. It is unacceptable that since last October and Philips are requesting information remain silent. Someone on this board would be so kind to give me the address of Philips in Holland to send a copy of the complaint?

Thank you.

Google Translator.

inthehouse
05-08-2012, 03:21 PM
I'm tired of waiting for an official response from Philips about the problem of local-dimmind. It is unacceptable that since last October and Philips are requesting information remain silent. Someone on this board would be so kind to give me the address of Philips in Holland to send a copy of the complaint?

Thank you.

Google Translator.

Hi

Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V.
Groenewoudseweg 1
5621 BA, Eindhoven
the Netherlands

Good Luck !

kookaburra
05-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Hi

Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V.
Groenewoudseweg 1
5621 BA, Eindhoven
the Netherlands

Good Luck !

Thank you.

Cinema 21:9
05-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Here a point is reached where we let our customers no longer this ignorance on the part of Philips fallen!
For months, people post here again and again the same bug.
I've recreated with people from other forums, the error on tens of Cinema Platinum, we have sent you videos and test files, I have offered you after repeated contact with JuAn my help. We have all consistently shown patience and understanding! Here, just nothing happens and it seems that Philips has written off the 2011 models, there are indeed no money to earn more!
But you have apparently forgotten that a manufacturer here in debt is to the customer to provide a fault-free device available!
This is even after months of not happened so far!
But we have paid as a customer with the purchase of your equipment and your salary, from the cleaning lady to software engineers.
It seems you do not realize?

(Google Translator)

inthehouse
05-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Thank you.

No problem.

Also please look here http://www.philips.com/about/investor/contactus/index.page

Royal Philips Electronics

Amstelplein 2
Breitner Center
P.O. Box 77900
1070 MX Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Switch board, phone: +31 40 27 91111

inthehouse
05-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Here a point is reached where we let our customers no longer this ignorance on the part of Philips fallen!
For months, people post here again and again the same bug.
I've recreated with people from other forums, the error on tens of Cinema Platinum, we have sent you videos and test files, I have offered you after repeated contact with JuAn my help. We have all consistently shown patience and understanding! Here, just nothing happens and it seems that Philips has written off the 2011 models, there are indeed no money to earn more!
But you have apparently forgotten that a manufacturer here in debt is to the customer to provide a fault-free device available!
This is even after months of not happened so far!
But we have paid as a customer with the purchase of your equipment and your salary, from the cleaning lady to software engineers.
It seems you do not realize?

(Google Translator)

Hi Cinema 21:9,

I see that you are a "victim" from Germany, as I do.
I recommend a board complaint in writing by registered mail !

The Address...

Philips Deutschland GmbH
Unternehmenskommunikation
Postfach 100229
D-20001 Hamburg
Lübeckertordamm 5
D-20099 Hamburg

Geschäftsführung:

Andreas Wente (Vorsitzender), Jochen Franke, Henrik Köhler, Klaus Baumann, Roger Karner
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Hans-Joachim Kamp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Registergericht Hamburg, 66 HRB 74 560

Tel. +49 (0)40 - 28 99 0
Fax.+49 (0)40 - 28 99 28 29
Umsatzsteueridentifikations-Nummer: DE 812 927597

http://www.philips.de/siteowner

Google translation

kookaburra
05-08-2012, 03:50 PM
No problem.

Also please look here http://www.philips.com/about/investor/contactus/index.page

Royal Philips Electronics

Amstelplein 2
Breitner Center
P.O. Box 77900
1070 MX Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Switch board, phone: +31 40 27 91111

Brilliant.

dog soldier
05-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Hi Cinema 21:9,

I see that you are a "victim" from Germany, as I do.
I recommend a board complaint in writing by registered mail !

The Address...

Philips Deutschland GmbH
Unternehmenskommunikation
Postfach 100229
D-20001 Hamburg
Lübeckertordamm 5
D-20099 Hamburg

Geschäftsführung:

Andreas Wente (Vorsitzender), Jochen Franke, Henrik Köhler, Klaus Baumann, Roger Karner
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Hans-Joachim Kamp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Registergericht Hamburg, 66 HRB 74 560

Tel. +49 (0)40 - 28 99 0
Fax.+49 (0)40 - 28 99 28 29
Umsatzsteueridentifikations-Nummer: DE 812 927597

http://www.philips.de/siteowner

Google translation

hi...i wrote to the support and to the chairman Wente last friday...no reaction till yet...still waiting....but not much longer ....then i write to the "verbraucherschutz"..........

bluevoice
05-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Philips is running away from their responsibility. They now strongly concentrate on the release of the 2012 TV lineup as JuAn states here (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?3762-PHILIPS-PLEASE-HELP-HTS8562-12-crashing-Philips-Cinema-Gold-TV-(50PFL7956H-12)&p=32373&viewfull=1#post32373). The users of 2011 TV's are left out in the cold and their problems ignored. This is not as it should be, customers paid a lot of money to only have an unfinished, beta product.

I think we, the customers of Philips should make a strong stand and not let them continue their policy of pushing products on the market that are not finished (software wise) and hope they finish the software in the years after release. They are only eager to compete with other brands but in the process they will loose the most loyal base of customers. This happened before with the 2010 lineup, where problems like sound dropouts have been ignored or never solved properly. At that point they also focused on the new 2011 line.

Philips should solve the problems of the 2011 TV lineup first before moving to the 2012 lineup.

Philips should realize that even if their 2012 lineup comes on the market a few months later, after first solving the important software flaws of the 2011 lineup, they gain something far more important than the money, they regain the trust of loyal customers and that is more important for the continuity of the Philips brand on the TV business.

Philips you can not market a product you claim it has certain features and price those features accordingly, and in reality it turns out those feature are not working or not working properly. This is called deceiving your customers and we should begin an action law suit because of this.

I've been a loyal Philips customer for years but given my recent experiences with Philips, I will never buy another product from Philips again. Vizio also makes some nice 21:9 TV's and I'll take a look at one of these.

aso
05-08-2012, 09:10 PM
This firmware is no good !!!, bugs are still here !!!

- backlight dimming top and bottom lines !!!
- PNM bug

Philips is no good manufacturer, i must be reclaim my 46PFL9706, and this is my last Philips product !!!

I know why philips loses its position in TVs !!!

Philips is doomed television production ...

ali54
05-08-2012, 09:27 PM
its ok coming on this forum and saying this and that. it dont make any diffrence to philips becuse they still selling tvs and there are lot of daft pepole out there that will buy there poor product.at long as they selling they keep making

Fitness-Boy
05-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Philips will never fix this problems if they already started to sell new 2012 models.
We all should give our 2011 models with their incomplete firmware back to philips. We have a 2 years guarantee for our products! So let's do it until it's to late!

zlatko
05-08-2012, 11:29 PM
...What i'm starting to notice is that during movie scenes when for example a clear sky is shown or watching a football match, i have vertical darker stripes, i can reproduce this with a still white imagem, where i can also see the darker white stripes from top to bottom, about 6 of them, 3 on each side. One strange thing is that if you are watching the same image from a different angle the stripes are less visible, is it possible that this is caused by the mouth eye filter and its not a software bug?

I think i read somebody else talking about this problem. But i can find the thread. Anybody else has this problem?
What you are noticing is widely known as DSE - Dirty Screen Effect. You can notice it when camera panning horizontally over vast areas of uniform light color - blue sky, green grass on football games, white snow when alpine skiing shown. This is not connected to MothEye filter as DSE is present on 9606 sets without MothEye.
I am having the same issue on my 52PFL9606 and I have observed it on several other 9706&9606 sets in shops and and in Philips service. Actually I still have not seen a 2011 9th series TV without DSE!
You can read and leave a comment in following threads here:

http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?3794-52PFL9606-screen-inhomogeneity
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?3249-46pfl9706
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?4846-52pfl9606m-08

Please do comment on above threads, lets try to get Philips attention to DSE, although I am seriously starting to lose faith in this once reputable company.

kookaburra
05-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Ideally, a lawyer draft a letter to us, we shared the letter and that all us to send this letter to the central Netherlands.

Sad to see a lawyer to simply not confirm if they are working on a particular issue, in my case the local dimmin. Sad very sad.

Google translator.

janvan
05-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Philips is running away from their responsibility. They now strongly concentrate on the release of the 2012 TV lineup as JuAn states here (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?3762-PHILIPS-PLEASE-HELP-HTS8562-12-crashing-Philips-Cinema-Gold-TV-(50PFL7956H-12)&p=32373&viewfull=1#post32373). The users of 2011 TV's are left out in the cold and their problems ignored. This is not as it should be, customers paid a lot of money to only have an unfinished, beta product.

I think we, the customers of Philips should make a strong stand and not let them continue their policy of pushing products on the market that are not finished (software wise) and hope they finish the software in the years after release. They are only eager to compete with other brands but in the process they will loose the most loyal base of customers. This happened before with the 2010 lineup, where problems like sound dropouts have been ignored or never solved properly. At that point they also focused on the new 2011 line.

Philips should solve the problems of the 2011 TV lineup first before moving to the 2012 lineup.

Philips should realize that even if their 2012 lineup comes on the market a few months later, after first solving the important software flaws of the 2011 lineup, they gain something far more important than the money, they regain the trust of loyal customers and that is more important for the continuity of the Philips brand on the TV business.

Philips you can not market a product you claim it has certain features and price those features accordingly, and in reality it turns out those feature are not working or not working properly. This is called deceiving your customers and we should begin an action law suit because of this.

I've been a loyal Philips customer for years but given my recent experiences with Philips, I will never buy another product from Philips again. Vizio also makes some nice 21:9 TV's and I'll take a look at one of these.

visio might be a good alternative if you want that 21:9 screen format indeed.
so far..it all depends upon price ...tests and reliability.
so..people cinema freaks..if you're not aware yet just google visio 21:9 cinema screen.
for me..if it's good and for the right price it's goodbey to philips forever.

bluevoice
05-09-2012, 08:58 AM
visio might be a good alternative if you want that 21:9 screen format indeed.
so far..it all depends upon price ...tests and reliability.
so..people cinema freaks..if you're not aware yet just google visio 21:9 cinema screen.
for me..if it's good and for the right price it's goodbey to philips forever.

@janvan: It's Vizio (with a z). This is the link to the 21:9 tv's. They also feature passive 3D:

http://www.vizio.com/cinemawide/overview

janvan
05-09-2012, 09:26 AM
@janvan: It's Vizio (with a z). This is the link to the 21:9 tv's. They also feature passive 3D:

http://www.vizio.com/cinemawide/overview

hey blue..are you going to lecture me for missing some letter? lol.
the link was yours from the beginning...thank you!
i did'nt knew about the existence of uhhh..visio...ha!
again..thx for the info.

christian
05-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Changelog:
· Solution for audio mute when signal is dolby/AC3.
· Solution for video audio out of sync.
· Solution for UPC in Hungary resulting in no channels installed after installation.

Are they joking?
What about serious problems people are complaining about?

PNM Bug?
Intermittent Flashlights?
Problems with Local Dimming?

No answers here, no answers from telephone support. Just wasted time.

Every update served that does not solve any of these fatal problems gets me more and more angry. Do you believe that anybody under my influence will buy a Philips TV while you constantly dismiss the problems your customers are complaining about?

Best Regards,
Christian

58PFL9956

janvan
05-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Are they joking?
What about serious problems people are complaining about?

PNM Bug?
Intermittent Flashlights?
Problems with Local Dimming?

No answers here, no answers from telephone support. Just wasted time.

Every update served that does not solve any of these fatal problems gets me more and more angry. Do you believe that anybody under my influence will buy a Philips TV while you constantly dismiss the problems your customers are complaining about?

Best Regards,
Christian

58PFL9956

christian...
according to toengels reponse on a p.m i send him..this board is for customer posts only.
just to interact with eachother about the product we paid for.
in other words..no one here can help solve our probs .
all posts here are useless...nobody cares about anything here.
best thing is to just ban this board by not posting anymore.
it's useless...just forget about this board.
and bring your malfunctioning device back to the shop.
forget about anything philips..it's over.

Toengel
05-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Hi,

that's not true. Primariliy, this board is for user-to-user interaction. So that we can help each other. Second, of course this board is monitored by Philips and issues are reported to the development...

Toengel@Alex

janvan
05-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Hi,

that's not true. Primariliy, this board is for user-to-user interaction. So that we can help each other. Second, of course this board is monitored by Philips and issues are reported to the development...

Toengel@Alex

with all respect toengel..i just don't believe that bark anymore.
and again..if this board is actually monitored by philips..they just make it a joke.
nothing personal..i know you do your best.
but i wonder why?
what's in it for you..eh?
i fail to understand.

janvan
05-10-2012, 10:45 AM
with all respect toengel..i just don't believe that bark anymore.
and again..if this board is actually monitored by philips..they just make it a joke.
nothing personal..i know you do your best.
but i wonder why?
what's in it for you..eh?
i fail to understand.

but people here can't help eachother..only philips softie devs can.for god sake..what will it take you to understand?
conversation here is useless per defenition.
we need help..help...for our devices..expensive devices....help..help..help!

21_9_78
05-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Hey everyone

I have ranted many time about philips lack of solution to the big issue or bugs in the firmware. is there anyone else who communicated with support where they have asked you as a customer to return a mail with photos of the problem? i own a 55PFL9956 and have 14.0.97 firmware installed.

the other day i was lucky with my other problem product which is a philips bdp9600 that crashed all the time. so i have done a deal with the shops where they bought it so i waiting for a Oppo BDP93 which is twice the price but it works and i can shift the subtitles. if i only could return my TV hehe i would just go for normal 55" Plasma og projector. :)

janvan
05-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Hey everyone

I have ranted many time about philips lack of solution to the big issue or bugs in the firmware. is there anyone else who communicated with support where they have asked you as a customer to return a mail with photos of the problem? i own a 55PFL9956 and have 14.0.97 firmware installed.

the other day i was lucky with my other problem product which is a philips bdp9600 that crashed all the time. so i have done a deal with the shops where they bought it so i waiting for a Oppo BDP93 which is twice the price but it works and i can shift the subtitles. if i only could return my TV hehe i would just go for normal 55" Plasma og projector. :)

buy..samsung..panasonic..whatever jap...ditch philips while you can.
philips is history now.
period.

hippie67
05-10-2012, 01:39 PM
christian...
according to toengels reponse on a p.m i send him..this board is for customer posts only.
just to interact with eachother about the product we paid for.
in other words..no one here can help solve our probs .
all posts here are useless...nobody cares about anything here.
best thing is to just ban this board by not posting anymore.
it's useless...just forget about this board.
and bring your malfunctioning device back to the shop.
forget about anything philips..it's over.

Dear Janvan,

Why so negative? Let's keep this forum respectfull and constructive!
Philips interaction with this forum is, I think, quite good. But, as it is mentioned on the home page before you login, it is set up as a user-to-user forum.
When I look at the number of posts (so replies) from Philips mods it is quite impressive (Philips-Thomas: 1180+, Philips: 660+, Philips-Remko: 320+, etc.), so your remark that "they don't care" is absolutely not true!
If you use some of your time to surf through the forum, you see a lot of positive reactions from customers that were actually helped, either by another user or by Philips. Of course there will always be issues that are not solved satisfactory, but bashing Philips will not help for sure!

Peace!

mduran
05-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Yeah 1180+ post, Please read his posts, 1179 are, please contact philips support and we have never heard it before.

raziel89i
05-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Sorry If I don't read all previous posts but I have a simple question...
In my Philips 46pfl8606m there is an awful clouding on the edges that are a lot brighter... Is this only a problem of mine ?
Please give me an answer if you can, I would understand if I have to fight with the assistance or is a general problem of philips tv
Thanks in advance

DerShortyy
05-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Sorry If I don't read all previous posts but I have a simple question...
In my Philips 46pfl8606m there is an awful clouding on the edges that are a lot brighter... Is this only a problem of mine ?
Please give me an answer if you can, I would understand if I have to fight with the assistance or is a general problem of philips tv
Thanks in advance

It´s not a bug, it´s a feature...

jowile
05-13-2012, 11:21 AM
I have the 37pfl9606/h12.

Last week i updated to 14.98 and it appeared to be that the text functionality was lost.

Surprise: The functionality of the lower right button of the remote control has been changed.
It now shows the previous chanel/programm instead of (tele)text. Result is that i can't get acccess to tele text!!

Is this a known 'feature' of the the new firm ware.
Please help....

KInd regards
Johan

BjornRuud
05-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Firmware 14.98 has the same problems as before on my 46PFL9706T.

- Optical out emits occasional crackle (all my sources output plain digital stereo over HDMI).

Local dimming problems (setting = best):
- Dirty screen effect (vertical banding) on uniformly colored areas.
- Discoloring when transitioning quickly from very dark image to very bright. Seems like a bloom or brightness gain effect?
- Darker stripe at top and bottom (rare). Can happen more often if there are subtitles.
- LED zones sometimes seem to fluctuate when image changes in that zone are very subtle.

Please give us some feedback on these issues.

@raziel89i
I had edge clouding before calibration on my 9706. After calibration it's usually not visible. Try it, it might help. Of course, there shouldn't be any edge clouding in the first place.

DerShortyy
05-14-2012, 06:50 AM
I have the 37pfl9606/h12.

Last week i updated to 14.98 and it appeared to be that the text functionality was lost.

Surprise: The functionality of the lower right button of the remote control has been changed.
It now shows the previous chanel/programm instead of (tele)text. Result is that i can't get acccess to tele text!!

Is this a known 'feature' of the the new firm ware.
Please help....

KInd regards
Johan

I can not confirm, yet, maybe it will occur... there are a lot of strange things happen with 14.98. Sometimes my HTS is called DVP in the Home Menu... WTF is a DVP???

bluevoice
05-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Guys,

One piece of advice. Philips set up this forum so that users can help each other i.e. if one user is looking for specific settings that another user already uses. This way users can help each other and Philips gets less support.

The forum is moderated by people from Philips that can pass the feedback you, users, give here (like firmware related feedback) to the development teams. Please realise that this only happens if there are a lot of complaints about a certain feature / functionality. See the moderation level as a "filter" of what goes to the development teams and what doesn't.

If you have problems with your TV like local dimming, PNM always on, Net TV connectivity, IP-EPG not working correctly, reboots because of network connected NAS (QNAP), please contact Philips Support directly by sending an email:

http://www.support.philips.com/support/contact/contact_us.jsp?mode=start&formid=CONSUMER&param1=SOUND_AND_VISION_GR&param2=TELEVISIONS_CA&param3=&param4=&modelCategory=Philips%20TV&userCountry=nl&userLanguage=nl&weekDay1=Maandag%20t/m%20Vrijdag%2008:00%20-%2020:00&weekEnd1=Zaterdag%2009:00%20-%2018:00&_dyncharset=UTF-8

If you do so, you will get beyond the support forum "filter" and get directly to Philips support. Your email will be given a unique support number that Philips has to address one way or the other. The current way for Philips to prioritize issues that will be addressed in the feature is by the amount of official support cases they receive on a certain issue.

So please take your time and file an official support request by using the link above and don't just let it be a disscusion on a forum. Get your issue addressed by Philips or at least let Philips agnowledge it. Remember, the more official support requests about a certain issue, the higher the chance Philips will address the issue quicker.

DerShortyy
05-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Guys,

One piece of advice. Philips set up this forum so that users can help each other i.e. if one user is looking for specific settings that another user already uses. This way users can help each other and Philips gets less support.

The forum is moderated by people from Philips that can pass the feedback you, users, give here (like firmware related feedback) to the development teams. Please realise that this only happens if there are a lot of complaints about a certain feature / functionality. See the moderation level as a "filter" of what goes to the development teams and what doesn't.

If you have problems with your TV like local dimming, PNM always on, Net TV connectivity, IP-EPG not working correctly, reboots because of network connected NAS (QNAP), please contact Philips Support directly by sending an email:

http://www.support.philips.com/support/contact/contact_us.jsp?mode=start&formid=CONSUMER¶m1=SOUND_AND_VISION_GR¶m2=TELEVISI ONS_CA¶m3=¶m4=&modelCategory=Philips%20TV&userCountry=nl&userLanguage=nl&weekDay1=Maandag%20t/m%20Vrijdag%2008:00%20-%2020:00&weekEnd1=Zaterdag%2009:00%20-%2018:00&_dyncharset=UTF-8

If you do so, you will get beyond the support forum "filter" and get directly to Philips support. Your email will be given a unique support number that Philips has to address one way or the other. The current way for Philips to prioritize issues that will be addressed in the feature is by the amount of official support cases they receive on a certain issue.

So please take your time and file an official support request by using the link above and don't just let it be a disscusion on a forum. Get your issue addressed by Philips or at least let Philips agnowledge it. Remember, the more official support requests about a certain issue, the higher the chance Philips will address the issue quicker.

+1 for that... you should write this down as an extra thread or special announcement so every newbie gets disaffected from its expectations about this forum

bluevoice
05-14-2012, 08:31 AM
+1 for that... you should write this down as an extra thread or special announcement so every newbie gets disaffected from its expectations about his forum

Done: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?5850-Sticky-Support-Forum-function&p=32775#post32775.

I hope forum mods make it sticky.

Espen000
05-14-2012, 07:33 PM
So today I escelated this case for the third or fourth time (losing track).

The support center would look into the issue again and escelate the issue to the SW developers.

But why do I get the feeling that noting will happenn..:confused:

jowile
05-14-2012, 08:28 PM
I can not confirm, yet, maybe it will occur... there are a lot of strange things happen with 14.98. Sometimes my HTS is called DVP in the Home Menu... WTF is a DVP???

What functionality does the lower right button of your remote control normally have? In my country it shows text.

rgds
Johan

DerShortyy
05-14-2012, 09:41 PM
What functionality does the lower right button of your remote control normally have? In my country it shows text.

rgds
Johan

In Germany its also Teletext

Philips - Thomas
05-15-2012, 06:23 AM
Hi DerShortyy

"DVP" means "DVD Player"

Regards
Thomas

Eliot
05-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Thomas,

Good to see you're still viewing these forums.

Can you please comment on the local diming issue that everyone on this forum is suffering from?

Thanks,
Eliot

EdgarPrao
05-17-2012, 03:06 PM
I am back to 14.84. No PNM bug, no CI+ encryption error!

jowile
05-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Am i the only one who lost teletext by upgrading to 14.98?
My tv is an 37PFL9606/h12
Its gone with 14.98 !!

rgds

DJF3
05-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Don't want to be negative here, but with every SW release it appears that nothing is fixed that I see people complaining about all the time ;-)

Do I see that correctly?

DJF3
05-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Changelog v0.14.98.0

- Fixed issue with PNM always on
- Fixed backlight horizontal banding
- Added support for more MKV container formats
- Reduced input lag dramatically
- Fixed glitchy Dolby Digital audio
- Faster startup

I was not reading this post correctly and got ALL excited. :)

We're talking about consumer products that have a limited lifespan. Every development effort put in the 2011 models SW is not generating extra revenue, especially with the 2012 models coming up.

Personally I don't think that any of the things in your list is ever going to be fixed, but I do hope so :)

erje
05-25-2012, 05:50 PM
I have posted this problem in a previous mail and on Thomas advice I contacted the Philips service team.
Philips has outsourced the technical assistance here in Norway to a different company and the service technician arrived with a USB stick and a remote control.
He tried to update the firmware, but could not do this because I already had this done :confused: (Philips was informed on this by phone)
Then he surfed through the menues without really having a clue what to do. Eventually he called some guy at Philips and set the TV into "virgin mode" which seems to be a sort of factory reset and left. I then had to do the TV-installations again.

Did it help? Absolutely not. The set sometimes switches off after approx 120 minutes (2 hours) when started from standby. So today I switched the set off with the mains switch in order to get a cold start. Unfortunately there was no image at all only sound...:confused: Another restart and it finally got working.

Conclusion: The SW seem to be unstable and it will probably stay like this in the future also.

Should I contact Philips again..... not sure really what they can do :(

mk81
05-26-2012, 06:15 PM
And again flashing ambilight in wrong colours in a certain area of the TV while watching 2D DVB-C using a Ci-Module and 2D DVD using HDMI - 58pfl9956

Since the problem increased within the last three days from once a month to daily, I'm not sure if this issue might solve from a hardware reason:
perhaps Thomas from Philips could give me further information !?
Thanx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Db4eQPDdc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EmT47FvCok

erje
05-27-2012, 04:32 PM
I have posted this problem in a previous mail and on Thomas advice I contacted the Philips service team.
Philips has outsourced the technical assistance here in Norway to a different company and the service technician arrived with a USB stick and a remote control.
He tried to update the firmware, but could not do this because I already had this done :confused: (Philips was informed on this by phone)
Then he surfed through the menues without really having a clue what to do. Eventually he called some guy at Philips and set the TV into "virgin mode" which seems to be a sort of factory reset and left. I then had to do the TV-installations again.

Did it help? Absolutely not. The set sometimes switches off after approx 120 minutes (2 hours) when started from standby. So today I switched the set off with the mains switch in order to get a cold start. Unfortunately there was no image at all only sound...:confused: Another restart and it finally got working.

Conclusion: The SW seem to be unstable and it will probably stay like this in the future also.

Should I contact Philips again..... not sure really what they can do :(

Just some additional information. I have a collegue with the same model and he just experienced the same 120 minutes (2 hour) switch off as well. Conclusion: It is a system error with this model. Strange Philips can not fix such an easy SW bug.
Tip to Philips: Why not release HW and SW information for us to fix the problems ourselves?

nnay07
06-01-2012, 09:47 PM
I have the feeling to suffer much more PNM artifacts with this release... (9706)

Espen000
06-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Yesterday I sent an email to the Norwegian Consumer Counsil asking about my rights in this case.

I have logged the case at Philips in january and now 6 months later I have asked Philips for an update. They have promised me an asnwer and escalation but then they have gone quiet. I think I have approached the support center 4-5 times during this period in addition to this forum. My patience is about to end soon.

BjornRuud
06-02-2012, 04:27 PM
I have the exact same problem with Philips Norway. The TV was bought in january and I've had an ongoing dialogue with Philips since then. My case has now been escalated but there has been no response so far. I recommend all TV owners with problems to contact Philips directly and keep on nagging until we get an official response.

I think I also will check with the store if they are willing to take the TV back. The optical audio crackle issue alone is enough to consider the TV defect. With all the problems this TV has it will be very difficult to sell it, and Philips refuses to fix it or take it back, so at the moment I'm stuck with it.

Philips
06-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Good news for those who have been complaining about the "PNM always ON" bug: we found the cause and a solution. After all tests have been finalised positively, we will implement it in a next SW release! Thanks all for your valuable feedback.

Regards,
JuAn

PNM= Perfect Natural Motion.

bluevoice
06-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Good news for those who have been complaining about the "PNM always ON" bug: we found the cause and a solution. After all tests have been finalised positively, we will implement it in a next SW release! Thanks all for your valuable feedback.

Regards,
JuAn

@JuAn: This is great news, keep up the good work!

Kalle73
06-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Sweeeet!

inthehouse
06-11-2012, 10:12 AM

Regards,
JuAn

very very nice :cool:

please also fix the Backlight Dimming then the Philips is perfekt for me :)

Bluestraw
06-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Do other people still experience the random picture 'blanking' for a few seconds, every few hours? This is one other thing that bugs me....

bluevoice
06-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Do other people still experience the random picture 'blanking' for a few seconds, every few hours? This is one other thing that bugs me....

What is the random picture 'blanking'? What does it look like?

Bluestraw
06-11-2012, 10:30 AM
What is the random picture 'blanking'? What does it look like?It's as if the TV is resetting. It did seem to get better (very infrequent) with certain firmwares (TV is a 46PFL9706), but I noticed in the latest one that it's happening a more often again. Typically the picture goes blank for just 2-3 seconds and comes back. Only once did it stay 'off' and need to be power cycled.

bluevoice
06-11-2012, 10:46 AM
It's as if the TV is resetting. It did seem to get better (very infrequent) with certain firmwares (TV is a 46PFL9706), but I noticed in the latest one that it's happening a more often again. Typically the picture goes blank for just 2-3 seconds and comes back. Only once did it stay 'off' and need to be power cycled.

It could be related to the network connection, check:

TV hangs when its connected to the lan (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?4393-TV-hangs-when-its-connected-to-the-lan)
DLNA relation with TV autoresets? (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?4304-DLNA-relation-with-TV-autoresets/page2)

Does your TV have the same simptoms as described in those threads?

kookaburra
06-11-2012, 11:19 AM

Regards,
JuAn

I'm glad this good news. They are investigating the problems of local dimming?

Thank you.

Google translator

stefanox
06-11-2012, 01:56 PM
hello fellow users. I have a 46PFL9706, whenever we use the program guide, this keeps coming back after the TV channel, without what I do. Also I still have problems with that TV reboots.

advice pls

bluevoice
06-11-2012, 01:59 PM
hello fellow users. I have a 46PFL9706, whenever we use the program guide, this keeps coming back after the TV channel, without what I do. Also I still have problems with that TV reboots.

advice pls
What do you mean by saying 'this keeps coming back after the TV channel'?

Regarding the reboots, is your TV updated to the latest firmware version 14.98?

stefanox
06-11-2012, 02:08 PM
@bluevoice.

yes it is on 14.98.
when enter program guide, before i can look at the page, it goes back to the tv channel example rtl 4

bluevoice
06-11-2012, 02:15 PM
@bluevoice.

yes it is on 14.98.
when enter program guide, before i can look at the page, it goes back to the tv channel example rtl 4

Regarding the IP-EPG (program guide): what happens if you wait a little (30 seconds to 1 minute)? Sometimes it takes a while for the IP-EPG to charge and come up. Otherwise you could try to re-install the channels and clear NetTV memory, this should also reset the IP-EPG.

Regarding to the resets: what is your current setup, do you use your tv toghether with other devices (i.e. Philips HTS), is it connected to a (wireless) network (where also a QNAP NAS is connected), do you use a CI+ module, etc. ?

stefanox
06-11-2012, 02:17 PM
@ bluevoice

- connect to internet with a network cable.
- HTS 9140 connected true hdmi cable. (standby)
- No CI+ module (we have caiway digital signal)

bluevoice
06-11-2012, 02:21 PM
@ bluevoice

- connect to internet with a network cable.
- HTS 9140 connected true hdmi cable. (standby)
- No CI+ module (we have caiway digital signal)

Do you have Easylink enabled on the TV and HTS? Do you have the TV speakers set to 'Easylink' in the Easylink menu?

stefanox
06-11-2012, 02:22 PM
yes, easy link is enabled.
no speakers are set on tv

bluevoice
06-11-2012, 02:27 PM
yes, easy link is enabled.
no speakers are set on tv

Could be because of the HTS, could be same problem as I described here: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?3762-PHILIPS-PLEASE-HELP-HTS8562-12-crashing-Philips-Cinema-Gold-TV-(50PFL7956H-12)

Could also be related to the automatic channel update. You can set the "automatic channel update" pop-up on to be able to choose if you want to update the channels at a certain point or not.

Do the resets have any pattern? Is there a certain point when resets occur? Is there something you notice before the resets occur?

Bluestraw
06-11-2012, 03:13 PM
It could be related to the network connection, check:

TV hangs when its connected to the lan (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?4393-TV-hangs-when-its-connected-to-the-lan)
DLNA relation with TV autoresets? (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?4304-DLNA-relation-with-TV-autoresets/page2)

Does your TV have the same simptoms as described in those threads?Yes, thank you! Looks like it's exactly this issue. Probably it was never 'fixed', but appeared so when I had home wireless network issues and hence the TV was totally disconnected from the network for a while! I will try again to disconnect and confirm if this is the root cause.

mduran
06-24-2012, 07:45 AM
Still have issue's with AC3 sound coming from my STB. Specifically on Nederland 1, 2 and 3 with AC3 Sound. There are minimal glitches, or sounddrops or something like that. Not having this issue with my external receiver.

kookaburra
06-25-2012, 03:19 PM
INCREDIBLE, EVERY TIME A DIFFERENT ANSWER. He copied MY LAST RESPONSE VERBATIM CONSULTATION ON PROBLEMS LOCALDIMMING.

GOOGLE TRANSLATOR

Hi Alfonso,

I learned from development that this "DSE" effect, as some call it, is related to the LCD display manufacturing process, and normally is within our specifications. There is a special video file (called "Scoobi-Doo", refer to Symptom/Cure document SCC_66716) available at the workshops for judgement if it's within or outside spec. So if you want to make that judgement, please contact your local workshop. If found outside spec, then there maybe must be looked for a commercial solution.

Regards,
JuAn

nnay07
06-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Where can we find this video?

zlatko
06-25-2012, 09:07 PM
@nnay07
It can be found only in Philips care work shops. It is only up to Philips reps to find if your screen's DSE is within specs. So basically Philips is rejecting DSE(found on all 9xx6 screens) as an issue.

kookaburra
06-26-2012, 07:00 AM
@nnay07
It can be found only in Philips care work shops. It is only up to Philips reps to find if your screen's DSE is within specs. So basically Philips is rejecting DSE(found on all 9xx6 screens) as an issue.

but that is DSE, I think we're different problems. Quepresenta my TV problems are with the local attenuation, not working properly and I have to disable it.

google translator

nnay07
06-26-2012, 08:06 PM
but that is DSE, I think we're different problems. Quepresenta my TV problems are with the local attenuation, not working properly and I have to disable it.

google translator
And what is DSE according to you? ¿En tu caso, a qué llamas DSE?

hardsoft
06-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Interesting behaviour. As I found the latest fw from Philips site I went to my 58PFL9956T/12 GUI to update set from Q555x_x.14.93.0 to Q555x_x.14.98.0. The TV is connected to LAN via cable at 1 Gig speed and all the network services work. However the TV stated that there was no new update available! So I downloaded update to PC and then used USB-stick to update.

The question is - why doesn't the set found out the latest firmware from the net?

Also there were really interesting times when I tried to download the update via browser. Every time I started download my hardware D-Link DFL160 firewall crashed and rebooted !! I tried to download with 3 different PC:s and the result was always same. Finally I managed to get the update via 3G network USB-modem...

bluevoice
06-28-2012, 02:27 PM
The question is - why doesn't the set found out the latest firmware from the net?

Philips doesn't provide all updates via internet.

hardsoft
06-28-2012, 07:49 PM
^ Are You kidding??

You should familiarize Yourself to these top of line models and maybe even read a usermanuals page 46 section "Update from Internet" from http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/5/50pfl7956t_12/50pfl7956t_12_dfu_eng.pdf

bluevoice
06-28-2012, 07:59 PM
^ Are You kidding??

You should familiarize Yourself to these top of line models and maybe even read a usermanuals page 46 section "Update from Internet" from http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/5/50pfl7956t_12/50pfl7956t_12_dfu_eng.pdf

No, no kidding, Philips does not provide ALL updates through internet. The currently available update from internet is 14.93 if I'm not mistaken. The other updates are only available by downloading the provided file on the product support page and updating manually through USB.

So if you have 14.96 the TV will check: is 14.96 < 14.93? Will give you a NO and tell you there's no newer update available for your TV.

hardsoft
06-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Ok - misunderstood You. Sorry for that.

So Philips provides updates via internet, but not latest ones - clever...doh

Any idea (or guess) why they don't want to give their customers first class service?

Espen000
07-01-2012, 05:39 PM
I understand from previous communications that Philips' software engineer are busy with the new (2012) models, but now two months have passed since the last update and still we have no indications on PNM bug and dynamic contrast issues.

I have several times approached the local support centre. Everytime they have said that they will ask the local product manager (?) to find more information about these issues. Everytime they have said to give me feedback when talking to the engineers. But everytime nothing happens until the next time I contact them. Then i get the same answer as last

As my support case was originally logged in january we are getting close to 7 months lead time fixing the issue. I think Philips should implement to measure the employees/engineers on time to fix issues. Maybe then they would start getting things done!

kookaburra
07-02-2012, 10:03 AM
We are still awaiting a solution to the problems of local dimming. How long we have to keep waiting. I've been waiting for a solution since 8 October. when completed this tedious wait?

Google translator

Eliot
07-02-2012, 04:57 PM

Regards,
JuAn

This was post #63 in this thread, so looks like a fix for this problem should be released soon.

Like many on here I just wish they would release a fix for the Local Dimming issues, then the TV would be spot on and as advertised! :rolleyes:

Espen000
07-03-2012, 04:16 PM
I got some good news today. Philips called me and said that the engineers have found a way to solve the issue with local dimming. They will include this in the next firmware update.

Kudos to Philips for following up on the issue :) Now let us hope that update is not far away!

kookaburra
07-03-2012, 05:08 PM
I got some good news today. Philips called me and said that the engineers have found a way to solve the issue with local dimming. They will include this in the next firmware update.

Kudos to Philips for following up on the issue :) Now let us hope that update is not far away!

Very good news. Thanks for the info. This gives me hope.

Google Translator

Eliot
07-04-2012, 01:21 AM

Having had rather protracted dealings with Philips technical support which resulted in a lot of false information being given to me, all I can say is I'll believe it when I see it!

Thanks for sharing that though. I do hope they're correct this time.

Espen000
07-05-2012, 09:13 PM
hmm. now i have ordered the movides "pitch black" and "riddic chronicles". I guess i am just excited to test the dimming when it is ready :rolleyes:

zlatko
07-06-2012, 04:55 AM
@Espen000
As Eliot said - don't believe until you see it with your eyes. :)
It will be great if Philips is paying attentions to such bugs, but every FW version so far have not addressed any PQ issues, only some minor glitches in channel ordering, scanning or work with CAMs.
And I suppose now TPV will put all effort on making good market impression with 2012 line up, leaving 2011 models as it is.

kookaburra
07-12-2012, 12:25 PM

I'm afraid the information you have provided the phone is not true. I made ​​a private consultation to Juan (Philips). Not aware of such a solution, and has asked me to post the data you have posted, I understand that with the intent to contact you to ask who has called you with that statement.
Regards

Google translator

Bert
07-12-2012, 12:42 PM

Regards,
JuAn

When may we expect a new SW release for 8000, 9000 and 21:9 series ?

Regards

Espen000
07-13-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm afraid the information you have provided the phone is not true. I made ​​a private consultation to Juan (Philips). Not aware of such a solution, and has asked me to post the data you have posted, I understand that with the intent to contact you to ask who has called you with that statement.
Regards

Google translator

Oh dear. That is not very uplifting to hear. I got a phone from the Norwegian support center telling me this. Now i am getting worried since i do not have this statement in writing..

I wish someone from Philips could confirm to me whether this statement is true or not..

BjornRuud
07-13-2012, 05:42 PM
The store manager where I bought the TV (Soundgarden) told me the same thing. He had spoken with Philips Norway and they said a fix was coming for the local dimming issues. They couldn't give a date or timeframe though, so we'll see.

Unfortunately they had nothing to say about the audio crackling I've been experiencing on the optical out port. It's rare, only a couple of times per hour or less, but very annoying. I know there has been a similar issue with Dolby Digital audio before, but I'm outputting PCM stereo from all sources connected to the TV (using HDMI).

zlatko
07-13-2012, 06:25 PM
@BjornRuud
I highly doubt we will see any PQ improvements a year after model announce date. And official Philips mods here know nothing about such releases.
But I really hope time will prove me wrong! :)

Philips - Thomas
07-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi @ all

14.99 is on its way. (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?6621-Your-experiences-with-FW-v0-14-99-0-for-8000-9000-and-21-9-series-(2011-models)) :)

Thomas

zlatko
07-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Judging by 14.99 changelog - no PQ improvement/tweaks. Pity...

EDIT: On the official 14.99 FW thread many users are reporting PQ improvements in regards to local dimming performance, so I might be wrong with the above statement.
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?6621-Your-experiences-with-FW-v0-14-99-0-for-8000-9000-and-21-9-series

Karl Ranseier
07-18-2012, 01:05 AM
Judging by 14.99 changelog - no PQ improvement/tweaks. Pity...

With the plethora of major bugs that changelog of minor fixes is more like a really bad joke anyway.