PDA

View Full Version : Can I record to USB and watch a different program?

djwim
05-17-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm about to buy the 40PFL5507H television with the USB recording option, and at the same time I'm switching over to another cable provider. This provider offers either a CI+CAM card or a HD-Receiver with built-in recorder (HD-PVR).

Since the Philips TV has the USB recording option, I reckoned that I don't need a HD-PVR. But I wonder if the USB recording option allows me to record programs as I'm used to: that is watch one program live, and record another. Or even switch over to the program being recorded after for instance an hour, and while still recording, start watching the program from the beginning (FlexTime). All features that are offered in my (old) HDRW720 harddisk recorder from Philips.
Am I better off choosing for the HD-PVR from the cable company, and don't use the CI+ slot? Or is it an option to have both? Anybody care to comment?

DJF3
05-17-2012, 05:20 PM
I don't have this TV or USB recording.
If the CI+ slot uses a different tuner you might be able to record on CI+ and view an analog program. Don't expect anything here. For 'real' recording you better get a separate box.
With my Humax 5200 I can record 2 programs and in some cases watch another! I use the CI+ now to view a program if the Humax is recording 2 programs.

djwim
05-17-2012, 05:39 PM
If the CI+ slot uses a different tuner you might be able to record on CI+ and view an analog program. Don't expect anything here. For 'real' recording you better get a separate box.
With my Humax 5200 I can record 2 programs and in some cases watch another! I use the CI+ now to view a program if the Humax is recording 2 programs.
I get the impresseion that indeed I'm better of getting the HD-PVR (which will be a Humax iHDR-5050C). All that USB recording with the Philips TV, seems to me to have quite some disadvantages...!
Question: Are you saying that you have both the HD-PVR *AND* a CI+ card for your TV? Or are you receiving all the channels through the HD_PVR?