PDA

View Full Version : Media Server

momijigari
05-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Hello guys!
I've been trying to make my TV (Philips 46PFL9706T) stream content from my PC.
I tried two different media-servers, and I failed. So it's not that user-friendly as it might seem.
In this thread I would like to collect all knowledge and adviсes that anyone could give (I would also appreciate the help of Philips officials).
So, here are the main questions:

1. What MediaServer Software is the best one for Philips TV? (depending on OS)
2. What is the actual MediaServer Philips can officially recommend (I don't believe that thay made the DLNA option in TV without worriyng if their customers could make it work with anything. They should have made tests with specific servers).
3. What are the Firewall settings which should be applied on PC?
4. What are the network/routing settings that should be applied?

I would appreciate any help.
Thank you.

Niels
05-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Hi,

My experience with a 32PFL7605C12 with PTA01 is the following:
- Wifi Media Connect provided with the TV does not work. It is to slow
- Browsing via DLNA through PC and network HDD works OK for music/pictures/video
I did not need to setup or modify any SW or firewall

Did you already succeed to connect your TV to your home network?
Are your media files on the PC in shared directories?
When you use the option "Open PC" do you get a DLNA connection and see folders on your PC?
If you see media files, try to play them

Niels

a_Tom
05-22-2012, 05:41 PM
hey momijigari; i dont know if there is "best" server but "twonky" or if you are more in settings "tversity" would be good servers, but there are indeed others, all with different option, tversity f.e. offers live transcoding so you can make sure the TV will be able to display every movie from your pc.

i dont know if philips recommend something but 2012 they work together with twonkly
for the software mentioned you will get a pop (if WIndows Firewall is active) if you want to allow the communication. for 3rd Party Firewalls, just kick them out, they are useless

upnp should be allowed in the network as dlna is based on upnp, some routers can disallow that

momijigari
05-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Hi,

My experience with a 32PFL7605C12 with PTA01 is the following:
- Wifi Media Connect provided with the TV does not work. It is to slow
- Browsing via DLNA through PC and network HDD works OK for music/pictures/video
I did not need to setup or modify any SW or firewall

Did you already succeed to connect your TV to your home network?
Are your media files on the PC in shared directories?
When you use the option "Open PC" do you get a DLNA connection and see folders on your PC?
If you see media files, try to play them

Niels
Thanks for reply and hint.

I just tried to just make one folder shared in Windows (I've got Win7). But it didn't work for me.

I have this kind of a network
Internet --> Router
/ \
PC(via Ethernet) TV (via Wi-Fi)

Are you sure no network/firewall settings are required?
May be I should need to open some ports, or route them.

Cheese
05-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Hi Guys,
Question as I'm having troubles to access the content in my computer (windows Vista) all songs and pictures are visible, but i'm just not able to find the movies which I saved in the Video folder..

Is there a option to let the TV dig deeper in the computer files?

Btw, Today I will upgrade to Windows 7 and i'll expect to have a NAS with twonky within 3 weeks, I hope this makes it easier..

betipet
08-08-2012, 07:47 PM
upnp should be allowed in the network as dlna is based on upnp, some routers can disallow that

How do you check if upnp is allowed please?
thanks

user0815
08-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Look at the system setup of your router for UPNP
Should be Set to enabled.
Which router do you use ?

betipet
08-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Look at the system setup of your router for UPNP
Should be Set to enabled.
Which router do you use ?

I have Gamebird NSW R3
http://icecat.lv/en/p/gembird/nsw-r3/routers-8716309057080-nsw-r3-4723820.html

I dont have access to the router settings page since my network provider doesnt allow that, they set the router for the customers, so if I have to look there I cant see.
Thank you for your response

user0815
08-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Oppps, that's beyond my limited skills. Apology.

Anyone ?

Daniel75
04-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Hello, I have change my PC with Window 8, and Philips Media Server can not run!!! PLEASE upload a new release for Windows 8 (and upgrade with mvk code and subs!)

MidnightManiac
07-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Bump.

So what media servers do you recommend for the best DLNA experience with Philips renders?

Philips - Ina
07-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Hello, I have change my PC with Window 8, and Philips Media Server can not run!!! PLEASE upload a new release for Windows 8 (and upgrade with mvk code and subs!)

Hi Daniel,

Please confirm your full TV model and name of the media server software you are trying to use.

Bump.

So what media servers do you recommend for the best DLNA experience with Philips renders?

Hi MidnightManiac,

Could you also please state your TV model?

You can refer to the user manual for your TV for a list of supported media servers for your specific TV model.

Best regards,
Ina

MidnightManiac
07-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Hi MidnightManiac,

Could you also please state your TV model?

You can refer to the user manual for your TV for a list of supported media servers for your specific TV model.

Best regards,
Ina

I use a BDP5600/12 Blu-ray player as render.

All the manual says is:

"On your PC, install a DLNA-compliant media server application (such as Windows Media Player 11 or higher)."

I would greatly appreciate a list of supported media servers for my specific model. :)

Philips - Ina
07-24-2013, 10:23 AM
I use a BDP5600/12 Blu-ray player as render.

All the manual says is:

"On your PC, install a DLNA-compliant media server application (such as Windows Media Player 11 or higher)."

I would greatly appreciate a list of supported media servers for my specific model. :)

Hi MidnightManiac,

For Blu-ray related enquiries, please use the Blu-ray forum.

However, if your BDP manual does not state any specific media servers, then we do not have a list of supported media servers for this product. The best thing to do is try a few different ones to find one that suits your needs.

Best regards,
Ina

PFLBDP
07-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Try Serviio works very good

flangewick
08-21-2013, 01:00 PM
I have read through this topic but it hasn't helped me at all.
I can connect my TV to my network ( a Vista PC an XP laptop and a windows 7 pc )
I have used Serviio and Tversity with no success.
I have a TP-Link router with UPNP enabled and everything appears to be in order so what am I missing ?
Regards

MidnightManiac
08-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Try Serviio works very good

Yes, it works. Not very well, but it works.

Oh, and you have to select Serviio's "default" DLNA profile. NOT the Philips profile, which it will automatically select for you.

flangewick
08-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Fine, but it doesn't work for me !
Where and how do I select the DLNA profile ?
Regards

m_stanchev
08-22-2013, 01:08 PM
Hi guys,

I have Philips 32PFL3807H/12. I use PS3 Media server to stream media from my PC and it works perfectly. It is absolutely free. Check out the topic in the forum especially for Philips TVs http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12368.

Does anyone of you knows a good android media server which I can use to stream from my phone to my Philips TV?

PFLBDP
08-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Fine, but it doesn't work for me !
Where and how do I select the DLNA profile ?
Regards

Open the serviio console (icon in the taskbar)
Choose Status-tab
In the line with NMR click in the profile cell and select the type of device you have...

m_stanchev
08-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Hi guys,

I have Philips 32PFL3807H/12. I use PS3 Media server to stream media from my PC and it works perfectly. It is absolutely free. Check out the topic in the forum especially for Philips TVs http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12368.

flangewick
08-24-2013, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the replies.
However PS3 Media Server does not find any renderers, which means I am really confused.
My TV says it is connected to my network but it is not highlighted on my network map and it does not find a media server.
If I use Serviio it shows two unrecognised devices with generic DLNA profiles.
If I use Windows Media Player 11 and hit PLAY TO it says no media devices found.
Clearly I am missing something although I have checked my set up.
I am using a TP-Link router.
Any guidance you can offer will be gratefully received.
Regards

m_stanchev
08-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the replies.
However PS3 Media Server does not find any renderers, which means I am really confused.
My TV says it is connected to my network but it is not highlighted on my network map and it does not find a media server.

Hi, did you read the thread that I pasted above? You have to paste the renders for Philips TVs in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\renderers". Look for more info in the thread above. I'm almost 100% sure that it will work. Even from Philips Bulgaria support have advised me to used :)

flangewick
08-25-2013, 07:55 AM
Hello,
Thanks for the reply and yes I did look at the link you supplied.
I have looked again and, unfortunately, I really do not understand exactly what I should add to my programme library.
Would you please do a little 'hand holding ' here as I need some precise guidance.
Sorry to be such a nuisance.
I have a 5000 series 46PFL5007H / 12
Thanks in advance

m_stanchev
08-25-2013, 08:10 AM
Okay, try this one first.

Download the .rar file from this link -> http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/download/file.php?id=2286

Unzip it and paste it in "C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\renderers" and see if the media server can detect your TV now.

Philips - Ina
08-26-2013, 08:15 AM
Hi all,

Looking throught he posts I can see some of you are having trouble finding the TVs are renderers.

Please check to see if the TV has DMR enabled:

HOME > [Setup] > [Network settings] > Digital Media Renderer (DMR)] > On

Best regards,
Ina

flangewick
08-26-2013, 08:58 AM
I had already done that much from your previous reply but it had no effect.
Regards

flangewick
08-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Thank you for that - DMR is on so that is not the problem.
Regards