PDA

View Full Version : New on Net TV: E-mail!

Philips - Mark
05-22-2012, 06:53 PM
We have built a new E-mail App.

Available for all devices and all countries.

You are invited to test this new App.
It supports E-mail reading and E-mail writing.
Simple HTML messages are displayed.
Color buttons provide options, shown on the bottom of the screen.
You can add multiple accounts.
IMAP & POP3 is supported.

At start only your e-mail address and password are requested.
Settings are detected automatically.

If the automatic configuration fails, manual configuration is possible.
(Especially in that respect you can help each other on this forum).

Looking forward to receive your feedback.

Adamo
05-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Great idea! :)

I've just tried an account "@tin.it" but I can't connect. :confused:

The error message says: "Connection to mail server failed, please check settings"

I used the same mail server that I use for PC client, it is "box.clubnet.tin.it" (POP3)

Regards,
Adamo

Nettle
05-23-2012, 08:24 AM
With Gmail it works.

Regards

Philips - Mark
05-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Important: If you want to use the E-mail App on your TV, the E-mail program you are using must support the POP or IMAP (http://www1.umn.edu/adcs/guides/email/imapvspop.html) protocol.
In some mail programs these protocols can be turned on or off.
If it does not work, please check the settings of the E-mail program and turn them on.

Adamo
05-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Hail Mark,

thank for your answer.

I've checked the program configuration on my PC (it is Windows Mail), it is actually configured for using POP3 server (box.clubnet.tin.it) and it works.
I've also checked the email configuration parameters provided by the provider.

Here they are (Mine is the Free option):

----------------------
Parametri di configurazione caselle di posta con dominio @tin.it

Server di posta in arrivo POP3 (o IMAP) : box.tin.it ( oppure box.clubnet.tin.it per gli abbonamenti Free )
Server di posta in uscita SMTP : mail.tin.it ( oppure mail.clubnet.tin.it per gli abbonamenti Free )
Porta di comunicazione POP3 : 110 (impostazione di default)
Porta di comunicazione SMTP : 587 (in sostituzione del valore 25 predefinito)
Nome utente : inserire il proprio indirizzo di posta completo del dominio ( nome@tin.it )
Password : inserire la password associata alla casella di posta
----------------------

Adamo

Philips - Mark
05-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Dear Adamo,

If you Google on: tin.it “[AUTH] POP3 access not allowed” you will find many complaints about this. It seems that tin.it does not allow it.

Adamo
05-23-2012, 04:05 PM
I see, I understand.

Thanks a lot Mark.

Regards,
Adamo

matthias
05-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Just tried it - very nice app. It works pretty fast, looks nice and is easy to handle! I like it!

At first, the autoconfiguration failed, and the manual settings didn't work unfortunately.
Then, after removing and adding the account a few more times, it suddenly worked automatically (after the 4th time of adding).

There just are two things on my mind:

1) Could you add a PIN-Code for each account that must be entered before it is opened from the main page?
Because if there are multiple users of the TV-email (family, friends), I wouldn't want them reading my emails

2) In general - how is it done, i.e. where is the password stored (on TV or at Philips)?
And I assume, each eMail has to go through the Philips server, but is it encrypted end-to-end (between TV&eMailProvider), or just between TV&Philips and Philips&eMailProvier, so could Philips potentially read the eMails I'm opening on my TV?

Thanks for the information - and again - cool app!

Matthias

3) oh, and: I have to move close to the TV to read it comfortably. So, like with EPG, a setting to configure the font size would be great ;-)

smart
05-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Hello,

I also tried it and the UI and the usage with the remote works really good. I like it! I was quite impressed by the usability of it. I thought it might be a little difficult with the remote, but it works fine.

When poking arround, I got some ui errors. I will look again on how to reproduce it, if possible. I also wish a larger font.

For future releases, I would like to follow links in mails, if possible.

Greets

smart

Freddy
05-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Hello all, :)

I too tried it yesterday evening, with two e-mail accounts @chello.nl and it worked perfectly! It looks good, in line with the rest of the SmartTV UI, navigating is easy and quick and mails look as they should.
Just one request, the same as matthias: a PIN for each account would be very useful. The best way would be not to save the actual Password with the account, but ask for it each time an account is accessed.

But for now: great work! Thanks! :)

Freddy

matthias
05-24-2012, 01:19 PM
The best way would be not to save the actual Password with the account, but ask for it each time an account is accessed.

Actually, I think it's good the password is saved, because it took a while until I entered it through the remote control :-)
Just not sure if the password-cookie can be read by other webpages, then it would be a security risk, but otherwise, I'd say that's fine.

bta
05-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Hi together,

a nice app, but I'm not so enthusiastic about it.

1st: I agree to matthias and smart. font is to small (same in IP-EPG; we are not so close to the TV than you assume at philips, please consider that!)

2nd: where can I initiate a "update" of the mails. As an idea yellow or blue are still free

3rd: the idea of a pin is really good, but please leave it up the user to activate it or not!

4th: where can I change the signature?

5th: the most likely usage is to read some mail (and not to write answers because of the missing keyboard) . There for a kind of preview will be nice

6th: what is about PiP? E.G. I want shortly to check my mails while my broadcast is interrupted by some commercials.

Enjoy your TV, it's fun!
bta

BTW: The possibility to sort Apps at SmartTV home is Scrap!

matthias
05-24-2012, 06:57 PM
5th: the most likely usage is to read some mail (and not to write answers because of the missing keyboard) . There for a kind of preview will be nice
6th: what is about PiP? E.G. I want shortly to check my mails while my broadcast is interrupted by some commercials.

- 5th: I actually think it's good there is no preview, as a preview would most probably slow down scrolling through the emails quite a lot. And as it is already possible to go to the previous and next email during viewing the emails with the cursor keys, this imho fully replaces the preview function.

- 6th: very good idea! A PIP (or a semi-transparent background, or at least sound of the current program), would be really nice! (actually, it would be with most of the apps ;-) )

Great app, otherwise

smart
05-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Hello,

first of all, it works really good with my provider gmx.de. I agree with the small font especially for the mail text.

As already told, when I open it, select my account, open the first mail, press right to read the next one and then go back (with the back key to the account list). Then I open the settings by pressing green button. Now the box for the settings is missing, the font is directly on top of the account list and I can't close the settings any more.

I can reproduce this on my 42PFL7695K/02.

Is it the same for others?

Seems, there is a small bug...

Greets

Stefan

Freddy
05-25-2012, 12:30 PM
- 6th: very good idea! A PIP (or a semi-transparent background, or at least sound of the current program), would be really nice! (actually, it would be with most of the apps ;-) )
I missed the PiP as well, but the regular PiP would make the e-mails too small, I guess. The semi-transparent background option (as long as the level of transparency can be configured) would be a good alternative!

Freddy
06-02-2012, 03:12 PM
When the SmartTV UI was first announced:

the E-mail App was also shown already. Notice the icon?... But that icon also showed the number of unread E-mails. I think it would be great if that could be implemented for real! :)

Thanks in advance!

smart
06-03-2012, 10:23 AM
When the SmartTV UI was first announced:

the E-mail App was also shown already. Notice the icon?... But that icon also showed the number of unread E-mails. I think it would be great if that could be implemented for real! :)

Thanks in advance!

Right, I fully agree!

In general, showing some information in the SmartTV home screen on the icons would be a good feature. For the app gallery, one could show, how many new apps were added, since the last visit...

matthias
06-03-2012, 10:44 AM
that icon also showed the number of unread E-mails. I think it would be great if that could be implemented
That's a good idea!
Though I'm a little worried it will slow down the startup of SmartTV considerably, when each time I start SmartTV, emails have to be checked. So, if this is introduced, please make this configurable ;)
Thanks

Toengel
06-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi,

@Mark

this app isn't available on 2012 BDPs... special reason?

Toengel@Alex

xavierc03
06-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Hello everybody.
I tried it with my gmail account and it works, both reading and writng (I am using a TRUST "compact" wireless keyboard and although sometimes it seems it looses the connection it works pretty well).
As said, PiP would be quite interesting, but not only video, audio wouls be a must.
Also, I agree that the default fonts are too small, and when I zoom it if I try to move the screen rigth or left , instead it move to the prvious or next e-mail.
One last thing: I cannot see the several floders I have. Is ther any way to access them?
In summary it is a great app, although it can be improved.
Thanks and regards.
Xavier

Thorsten
06-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Hello !

One question to the users that already use the app:
Will the emails be deleted on the server when you read them on the TV?
I have one notebook configured not to delete the emails on the server and the main-PC will delete them. How about the TV? I don't want to loose some emails on the server before reading (or saving) them on the main-PC.

Thanks

JustMe
06-13-2012, 11:54 AM
I have tried it and they are not deleted. You can still view them on your PC or other device afterwards.

smart
06-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Hello,

first of all, it works really good with my provider gmx.de. I agree with the small font especially for the mail text.

As already told, when I open it, select my account, open the first mail, press right to read the next one and then go back (with the back key to the account list). Then I open the settings by pressing green button. Now the box for the settings is missing, the font is directly on top of the account list and I can't close the settings any more.

I can reproduce this on my 42PFL7695K/02.

Is it the same for others?

Seems, there is a small bug...

Greets

Stefan

I tried to reproduce it today, but was not able to do so. Might be fixed or just a very rare combination of circumstances...

Works fine and speedy!

smart
06-14-2012, 12:35 PM
It configured automatically the IMAP account for GMX so it did not delete anything on my side...

yossinir
06-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Hi,
How can I open attachments like pictures or pdf?
Thanks
Jiseph

matthias
06-26-2012, 05:35 PM
The eMail reader can display images if they are embedded in an HTML mail, but as far as I know, it cannot open attachments.

There is no Acrobat PDF reader on your TV, so even if attachments would work, you wouldn't be able to render PDFs

yossinir
06-26-2012, 06:43 PM
The eMail reader can display images if they are embedded in an HTML mail, but as far as I know, it cannot open attachments.

There is no Acrobat PDF reader on your TV, so even if attachments would work, you wouldn't be able to render PDFs

Thanks for prompt answer
Anyway this is like a gadget and you want to read mails on your computer

Eazzy
07-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Hi,

@Mark

Toengel@Alex

I noticed it too on my BDP5500. Which is a shame because NetTV is amazingly fast and it has keyboard support.

Maybe someone from Philips can tell us more? Will it become available for BDP's too? It will be so nice if it would!

Kind regards, Ed

Eazzy
07-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Hi,

@Mark

Toengel@Alex

Yesterday I checked the apps on my BDP5500 again and there it was... the new E-mail App!
It works even better on the BDP of course because it allows you to make use of a keyboard. The keyboard lay-out takes some time to get used to.

I did a test yesterday with a Windows Live Mail account. For some reason when I send a new mail or reply, the e-mail goes into my Inbox instead of my Outbox. While it is addressed to the corrected repicient. I haven't tried this with other mail services yet.

But apart from that, I like the app very much! So thank you Philips for making it available on BDP's too.

Ed