PDA

View Full Version : The Tv won't recognize HDD as valid for formatting

Jakob
05-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Hi,
I have a 46PFL6626T Tv which Works great, it has softwarepack: 000.014.098.000
My issue is that the tv doesn't accept the HDD I attempt to use as USB recording devices.

I've used IDE drives with adapter using separate power supply. They Work fine playing back files, but the TV refuses to format them for use of recording.
I've tried a Maxtor 320GB ATA/HDD. I've formatted it to FAT32 and tried both master and slave jumping, but I always get the message that the hard disk can't be used when it's about to be formatted by the TV.
I also tried a Maxtor 160GB PATA133HDD, a Maxtor 300GB PATA133 HDD, and a 16GB USB stick but none work.
Can anyone please help me?

Btw the exact message is Formatting failed. This type of hard drive cannot be used. Use another type of
USB hard drive

Best regards Jakob

a_Tom
05-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Hey Jakob; you need more! than 32GB of free space to be able to record (no matter if timeshift or "normal" record) so you need at least a 64GB stick or HDD but also you need more than 30MBits of writing speed.
Some users in this forum got it working with USB 3.0 USB Sticks (64GB Versions)

Jakob
05-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Thanks Tom, as you can see on the HDD specs, the harddisks have more than 300GB free memory and the write speed exeeds by far the requirements (133MBits), but still they are not accepted by the tv, which asks for a different type of HDD

Philips - Benedickte
06-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks Tom, as you can see on the HDD specs, the harddisks have more than 300GB free memory and the write speed exeeds by far the requirements (133MBits), but still they are not accepted by the tv, which asks for a different type of HDD

Hi Jakob.

I would advice you to contact your local costumer care support.

contact Page Denmark (http://www.support.philips.com/support/contact/contact_page.jsp?userLanguage=da&userCountry=dk)

Best regards Benedickte

Jakob
06-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Hi Jakob.

I would advice you to contact your local costumer care support.

contact Page Denmark (http://www.support.philips.com/support/contact/contact_page.jsp?userLanguage=da&userCountry=dk)

Best regards Benedickte

Hi Benedickte,
I already contacted them. They were unfortunately a bit inknowledgable in this area and couldn't help me. Perhaps only the firmware programmer has the neccesary know how :confused:

Philips - Benedickte
06-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Hi Benedickte,
I already contacted them. They were unfortunately a bit inknowledgable in this area and couldn't help me. Perhaps only the firmware programmer has the neccesary know how :confused:

Hi Jakob.

I can see you have formatted the HDD's with FAT32, have you tried with NTFS?

Also is these HDD's internal or external HDD's?

Benedickte

Jakob
06-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks for responding,
yes, I tried both FAT, exFAT and NTFS with the same result. The disks can easily be used to Watch Pictures or movies with, but not as recording devices.

They are disks originally used inside pc's but put in an external HDD box and Thus connected.

Philips - Benedickte
06-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks for responding,
yes, I tried both FAT, exFAT and NTFS with the same result. The disks can easily be used to Watch Pictures or movies with, but not as recording devices.

They are disks originally used inside pc's but put in an external HDD box and Thus connected.

Afternoon Jakob.

Thank you for the quick answer and the information.

What type of external cases are you using (type, model) and what HDD do you have (type/model) in each case?

Benedickte

Jakob
06-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Hi again, you can see the HDD models in the original post, the case is a mobile disk external data storage, model no. : HD-337-U2 (it also says Chronos on the box)

Jakob

Philips - Benedickte
06-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Hi again, you can see the HDD models in the original post, the case is a mobile disk external data storage, model no. : HD-337-U2 (it also says Chronos on the box)

Jakob

Good afternoon Jakob.

Not sure if this case has USB 2.0 or better and if the case is capable to do the reading spead of 30MBps. This is all up to the chip in the case and not the HDD inside the case itself.

edit: I found this on the specsifications on this case: Supports transfer rate of High speed 480mbps (USB 2.0) full speed, 12 mbps(USB 1.1)or low speed mode
This means that if it's set on low speed mode or using an 1.1 usb it will not be able to hit the requirements for the TV. This can support up to 480MBps, but doesn't mean it is set to do high speed USB 2.0.

Benedickte

Jakob
06-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Hi Benedickte,
Super job you did, you were absolutely right. I changed the external box and voila it worked like a charm :D I noticed that the connection cables in the two boxes were different.

Thanks a lot for your effort its lovely to get competent help!

Cheers
Jakob