PDA

View Full Version : 42PFL4307 - USB multimedia support

Monty02
06-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Hi community,
Sorry, if the topic is in wrong section :(
Im newbie to this forum, so first I introduce myself (why I like Philips) :)
Several years ago I worked in one company as a firmware tester for Philips VHS recorders, Combi TVs, DVD recorders and multifunctional fax devices. During that period I equipped complete environment with Philips appliances. Later on, I moved to other company, havent been investing in new devices and went out of bussines for 6-7 years - regarding new technologies in the field of TV, DVD, BluRay, etc.

Last month I decided to buy new LED TV. There was only one limitation: width of space where TV should be placed: 100cm. So, the choices went to 40 or 42” TVs.
Second most important thing what I want: excellent support of video and audio format playback from USB.

After reading many forums around net, I found out that Philips slept a bit with multimedia support and all the choices went to competitor Samsung. Everyone talked how superb is their multimedia playback support, many containers, video and audio codecs which were not supported by Philips (we talk about 2011 range). No DTS sound support in MKV container :confused: Common, thats ridiculous I said !
I was not satisfied with this, thus continued to search around until I found two bright points in dark tunnel of decision: Philips 42PFL4307H and this great forum.
And after that bright point, many, many questions came. So, lets start with some.
1. Is this only model from 4th series which support 3D ?
2. USB external devices support.
I have 3,5” Samsung 2TB HDD with external power adapter. It is formatted in NTFS. Will 42PFL4307H recognize it ?
3. Multimedia playback support from USB.
There is no codec table for 2012 models in TV part of forum. But I found this table in other part:
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?6093-Generic-codec-table-for-BDP-HTS
Is this table applicable for 2012 LED TVs too ? Thus, for mentioned model ? It will mean that mov container and DTS sound are finally supported !
I need confirmation, because I have no chance to try this model in classic shop, they offer it only on internet.
4. Connectivity.
I have older HTS: LX3900SA. Is there any chance to connect it with 42PFL4307H and to have DTS or AC-3 sound transferred to HTS ?
Picture of 42PFL4307H with its connectors in attachment.
Picture of LX3900SA inputs in attchment.
5. In specification is states: “USB recording”. Can I record on mentioned HDD with NTFS partition ? I read here on forum that it need formatting process done by TV itself. Afterwards, HDD is not recognized by PC. Clarify please.
6. What kind of 3D has this model (passive/active). Which glasses should I buy ?

Answer to any point would be appreciated :D

Thank you

Philips forever ! (maybe) :o

Monty.

Philips - Marco
06-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Hi Monty,

Welcome to the Philips Forum.

1. Is this only model from 4th series which support 3D ?

Yes.

2. USB external devices support.
I have 3,5” Samsung 2TB HDD with external power adapter. It is formatted in NTFS. Will 42PFL4307H recognize it ?

Your HDD shoud work as it meets the minimum requirements and the television support up to 2TB.

3. Multimedia playback support from USB.
There is no codec table for 2012 models in TV part of forum. But I found this table in other part:
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...le-for-BDP-HTS
Is this table applicable for 2012 LED TVs too ? Thus, for mentioned model ? It will mean that mov container and DTS sound are finally supported !
I need confirmation, because I have no chance to try this model in classic shop, they offer it only on internet.

We don't have yet a codec table for 2012, as soon as it will be available a copy will be posted on the forum.

4. Connectivity.
I have older HTS: LX3900SA. Is there any chance to connect it with 42PFL4307H and to have DTS or AC-3 sound transferred to HTS ?
Picture of 42PFL4307H with its connectors in attachment.
Picture of LX3900SA inputs in attchment.

Unfortunately there's no way of connecting the HTS.

5. In specification is states: “USB recording”. Can I record on mentioned HDD with NTFS partition ? I read here on forum that it need formatting process done by TV itself. Afterwards, HDD is not recognized by PC. Clarify please.

It's not possible to use a partition, the HHD is formatted by the TV and after it's not recognized by the PC.

6. What kind of 3D has this model (passive/active). Which glasses should I buy ?

This TV has easy 3D so that means Passive. The glasses you should buy are PTA416.

In the future please post every question in the appropriate section, in order to share it with the other users.

Regards,
Marco

Monty02
06-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Thank you Marco,

Just in addition to point 3. Multimedia playback support from USB.

"We don't have yet a codec table for 2012, as soon as it will be available a copy will be posted on the forum"

If we rely on IFU coming with 4th series 2012 range, then DTS is still not supported. Info taken from 42PFL4007H/12.
See picture.

What a pitty :(
Is it a big problem to buy licence for DTS integration ?

Monty

Manuel
06-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Try this Link (user manual, 42pfl4307h/12l), its in Portuguese, but you can see de codec table ( pag 70)

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl4307h_12/42pfl4307h_12_dfu_por.pdf

Monty02
06-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Thanks Manuel, it looks exactly the same as table posted above.
Not even DTS core (1500 kbps) is supported !
Half an MKV files (read: movies) downloded from web has DTS sound.

I have no option, just to let Philips go ........ :( with broken heart.

At the moment, only advantege over competitor (in same range) is 3D support and screen size (42"), for same price.

Monty

Toengel
06-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Hi,

I you really want DTS, take a look at the Home Media Player HMP7001

Toengel@Alex