PDA

View Full Version : screen format settings - no auto setting?

MCCM
06-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Recently I bought a Philips 32PFL3517H.
A few days later also an inexpensive Salora 22LED7000T for in my bedroom.
Both are HD TV's and I hooked them up to my HD satellite receiver with HDMI cables.
By now I'm getting more familiar with the settings of both devices, but I have a question about the Philips TV settings.
When I use the Salora I have the screen aspect ratio set to "auto". This works very well and the screen switches apropriately from 4:3 to 16:9 and vice versa to ensure the correct aspect ratio.
I dont want pictures with distorted aspect ratio.
It seems on the Philips 32PFL3517H I can only change the aspect ratio manually?

regards,

suntattood
06-14-2012, 05:07 AM
That depends on the whole TV resolution options. For such size, it usually have either 4:3 or 16:9. I don't know why. http://imagicon.info/cat/12-19/vbulletin-cool.gif

Philips - Benedickte
06-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Recently I bought a Philips 32PFL3517H.
A few days later also an inexpensive Salora 22LED7000T for in my bedroom.
Both are HD TV's and I hooked them up to my HD satellite receiver with HDMI cables.
By now I'm getting more familiar with the settings of both devices, but I have a question about the Philips TV settings.
When I use the Salora I have the screen aspect ratio set to "auto". This works very well and the screen switches apropriately from 4:3 to 16:9 and vice versa to ensure the correct aspect ratio.
I dont want pictures with distorted aspect ratio.
It seems on the Philips 32PFL3517H I can only change the aspect ratio manually?

regards,

Hi MCCM

You can change the format by pressing the format button on your remote control.
There is several options you can choose between. Some of them are:

‘Auto Fill’ if the you want to fill up the screen.
‘Auto Zoom’ if you want to follow the broadcaster format in example if broadcaster transmit a 4: 3 signal you will see a 4: 3 picture (in example black bars at the side).
‘Wide Screen’ if you want the format to stay put at 16:9.

I would advise you to try the different formats to test out what you prefer and like best.

Benedickte

MCCM
06-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Hi MCCM

You can change the format by pressing the format button on your remote control.
There is several options you can choose between. Some of them are:

‘Auto Fill’ if the you want to fill up the screen.
‘Auto Zoom’ if you want to follow the broadcaster format in example if broadcaster transmit a 4: 3 signal you will see a 4: 3 picture (in example black bars at the side).
‘Wide Screen’ if you want the format to stay put at 16:9.

I would advise you to try the different formats to test out what you prefer and like best.

Benedickte

The behaviour you describe as 'autozoom' is exactly what I would want. Only: it doesn't work! I get no black bars for a 4:3 transmission and the aspect ratio is distorted. (People seem fat).
At this moment I'm testing the same station / programme, where my Salora TV gives the correct picture in 4:3 with the black bars as you describe.
testing channel (CBS drama 13:30)

On my Philips I can only achieve this by choosing the manual setting 4:3

regards,
Mark Vos

L1Zeeman
06-23-2012, 05:02 PM
The behaviour you describe as 'autozoom' is exactly what I would want. Only: it doesn't work! I get no black bars for a 4:3 transmission and the aspect ratio is distorted. (People seem fat).
At this moment I'm testing the same station / programme, where my Salora TV gives the correct picture in 4:3 with the black bars as you describe.
testing channel (CBS drama 13:30)

On my Philips I can only achieve this by choosing the manual setting 4:3

regards,
Mark Vos

Hi Mark,

Have you tried to set the picture format to "unscaled"?

regards,
Leen

MCCM
06-23-2012, 08:29 PM
hi Leen,

Yes, I tried ALL settings and no,
it's no good. With 'unscaled' I get black bars all around, so the picture is smaller plus the fact that it is no good for 4:3 type aspect ratio.
As I wrote, I can only achieve the right aspect with manual setting to 4:3.

Switching automatically to the right aspect ratio can only be done on cheap TV's so it seems... :-((

Mark Vos

Philips - Benedickte
06-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Hi Mark.

If you haven't updated to latest software version (http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=32PFL3517H/12&scy=FR&slg=en) (2.07) yet, I would advice you to do this, if the problem is still there I would recommend you to contact your local customer support (http://www.support.philips.com/support/catalog_selector.jsp?COOKIE=off).

Benedickte

MCCM
06-26-2012, 07:16 PM
To make things even more complicated I noticed the following today.

On NL1 I watched a series in 4:3 but this was broadcast as 16:9 complete with the black bars on the left & right. So actually the TV is fooled as it thinks it is displaying 16:9 and the picture's aspect ratio is still correct. I believe this is called 'letterboxed'. This way the 4:3 picture is maintained and the TV doesn't have to switch to another mode.

I do want to point out though that many stations (BBC, CBS etc.) do not work this way but send a real switching signal for changing the screen format. In that case the Philips has to be adjusted manually whereas the Salora has the option to do this automatically. This can be observed when the commercials start (16:9) and when the series continues (4:3).

I have FW 2.07

Philips - Benedickte
06-27-2012, 09:29 AM
To make things even more complicated I noticed the following today.

On NL1 I watched a series in 4:3 but this was broadcast as 16:9 complete with the black bars on the left & right. So actually the TV is fooled as it thinks it is displaying 16:9 and the picture's aspect ratio is still correct. I believe this is called 'letterboxed'. This way the 4:3 picture is maintained and the TV doesn't have to switch to another mode.

I do want to point out though that many stations (BBC, CBS etc.) do not work this way but send a real switching signal for changing the screen format. In that case the Philips has to be adjusted manually whereas the Salora has the option to do this automatically. This can be observed when the commercials start (16:9) and when the series continues (4:3).

I have FW 2.07

Hi Mark.

Thank you for this information.
Have you checked on your HD satellite receiver what settings it is set on when it comes to picture? ( 4:3/16:9/auto). I would advice you to put this on auto (auto zoom) and the same on the TV so they got the same settings.

Benedickte

MCCM
06-27-2012, 03:08 PM
hi Benedickte,

I hadn't mentioned yet: the sat receiver I use is Philips DSR 7141. It is set to auto update.

Today I removed the hdmi cables and looked in the (receiver) menu video settings, because I get a different menu when I use scart cables. The choices I now have is 4:3 or 16:9. It was on 4:3 and I changed this to 16:9. I have no idea wether this has any effect when using hdmi cables. But it had to be changed anyway because I don't have any 4:3 TV's anymore.

After this I removed the scart connection and made connection with hdmi cables (of course with devices switched off first!). When I now look in the menu of the receiver the video settings option is changed in 'HD-formaat'. I have the following choices: 1080i, 720p, 576p, and automatic. The setting was automatic and I left it that way.

Testing again with CBS reality with a 4:3 broadcast: the Salora switches correctly to 4:3. The Philips (with setting 'autozoom' does not... Again: the only way to achieve the correct aspect ratio is setting the TV to 4:3 manually.

One other thing: both TV's are connected to the receiver with a hdmi splitter (Konig KN-HDMISPL10)
http://www.konigelectronic.com/de_de/1095290

regards,
Mark Vos

MCCM
06-27-2012, 10:00 PM
A similar problem exists when playing .avi files from Philips MediaManager.
When the file is in 16:9 the picture looks OK.
However, when the file has aspect ratio 4:3, the picture is stretched in width and looks distorted. No black bars on the left and on the right.
Pressing the screen format button on the remote toggles between large and (very) small picture.
Only the miniscule picture has the correct aspect ratio.
Toggling to the full screen mode stretches the picture incorrectly.
There is no way to get the picture in full height with the correct aspect ratio of 4:3

I trust these issues will be resolved in future firmwares!

Mark Vos

Philips - Benedickte
06-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Hi Mark.

I would advice you to contact your local customer service to help you further with this.

Best regards
Benedickte

MartiniB
07-03-2012, 01:25 PM
@MCCM
what aspectratio is send by your box trough HDMI, most of external devices can send only 16:9

there are long story how i get able 4:3 flag on Dreambox's HDMI(DVI)
http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/board/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=12731

Philip's AutoZoom option also works different over years

2005y(??, first with Ambilight and just single HDMI input) models
_ AutoZoom works correct for all kind of signals, no matter 16:9 or 4:3

2006y(**pf**31*) models
_ AutoZoom works correct for all kind of signals, no matter 16:9 or 4:3

2007y(**pfl**32*) models
_ dont know ..

2008y(**pfl***3*) models_
_ AutoZoom works correct when received 4:3, BUT inactive for any 16:9 signal

2009/2010y(**pfl***4*; **pfl***5*) models
_ AutoZoom works oposite way, it zooms verticaly 16:9 signals to fullscreen instead it must zoom out horisontal blackbars in 4:3 sources
_ this bug is only for HDMI, on SCART and Terrestial works correct when received 4:3

2011(**pfl***6*) models
_ dont know ..

2012(**pfl***7*) models
_ dont know ..

AutoZoom is one of importan features why i prefere Philips and not Samshit