PDA

View Full Version : 42PFL3007 FW upgraded to v2.08: now blank screen (with sound).

-B-
06-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Hi All,
I upgraded the software on my 42PFL3007H/12 from T911E 2.02 to T911E 2.08 today.
Most settings were still intact but I had to re-adjust the picture settings.

Annoyingly, the HDMI-CEC (remote control pass-through) has stopped working to my Philips BDP2800/12. The player does not automatically switch on amd the TV remote does not control the menus.
Disabling then re-enabling the RC-pass-through has not worked.

Also, The 'Puase TV' function has disappeared. Ironically, I was updating the software to try and get this feature to work.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Will Philips address these problems in the next update?

I am hoping a new version will be available soon, they have issued a new update every month since the initial production version.

-B-

suntattood
06-14-2012, 04:02 AM
I am sure they will do some update for this model since it has just been released this year. Let's just have to be patient about it. http://imagicon.info/cat/12-19/vbulletin-cool.gif

Toengel
06-14-2012, 06:36 AM
Hi,

please remove the power plug from both devices for 2-3 minutes and start over again - this helps a lot...

Toengel@Alex

-B-
06-14-2012, 05:13 PM
*** UPDATE ***
I tried removing power for a while to both devices as suggested by @Toengel but there is no change.
In fact, it has developed another fault. About 2 minutes after power on, the screen goes off and doesn't come back on no matter which buttons I press on the remote. The only thing I can do is switch it off and back on again.

The colours are all wrong, skin tones are green, blues are red, then the screen goes off.

I think my new TV is slowly dying.

I tried a "Factory Reset" and "Reinstall TV" but the screen doesn't stay on long enough to see if it has completed.

Does anyone have an older version of the firmware so I can try downgrading it. I might be able to start the downgrade before the screen goes off.

Failing that, I'll have to send it back.

Help Philips please!!!!

-B-

alabala
06-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Same here.

Today I upgraded my one week old 32PFL3017H/12 with this same firmware T911E 2.08 and guess what, the screen is totally blank now.

I also tried "Factory Reset" and "Reinstall TV" with no luck.

What a frustration to brick my TV with a firmware upgrade which I didn't needed but applied anyway .Tomorrow I am calling the local support.

Btw., -B- on the firmware upgrade instructions page there is a paragraph saying NOT to downgrade the firmware if anything goes wrong so maybe there is a good reason for this.

Philips
06-15-2012, 08:11 AM
Same here. Today I upgraded my one week old 32PFL3017H/12 with this same firmware T911E 2.08 and guess what, the screen is totally blank now.......

Dear Alabala,

Can you please indicate from which SW version you have upgraded? Can you still remember?
This information would be very welcome to investigate the issue.

Kind regards,
JuAn

alabala
06-15-2012, 08:38 AM
2.03 but I am not 100% sure.

Dimined
06-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Hi, All
I am switching from another thread, as I see this one is currently in "discussion" mode and it was suggested by Toengel@Alex. Here is what I wrote just a few moments ago:

I got my new 32PFL3017H/12 - FZ1A1214006973 a couple of days ago. Going through the manual, I read that it is strongly recommended to update the software. Since the original software was 2.03 (or 2.02 - don't remember) and on the Philips site the newest version was 2.08 I tried an update. I followed the instruction and reached to the "restart" stage. Pressed "OK" and the result was exactly what you describe. The PHILIPS logo flashes, then I get a blink of a TV program, and then everything goes black. Although I can still hear sound from the channel and change the channels as well (this I understand by hearing). The remote works, I guess. As it switches the TV on and off.

I have sent an e-mail to my Philips support in Bulgaria, but have no answer for now.

Thanks for any answer.

Philips
06-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Dear Alabala, -B-, and Dimined,

Please read your PM.

Regards,
JuAn

podpredsednik
06-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Dear Philips,

I have the same problem as Alababa. Would you be so kind to help me as you helped Alababa.
Thanks you in advance.

alabala
06-15-2012, 01:40 PM
An update for everyone watching this:

I did tried the fix proposed by Philips which is actually a firmware update and it DID fixed the issue so my TV is back operational.

Conclusions:
1. If it's working - don't touch it.
2. Excellent customer support from Philips.

p.s. maybe the bad firmware should be removed from the support web site until it's fixed.

Thanks Philips!

Victorio71
06-15-2012, 02:13 PM
An update for everyone watching this:

I did tried the fix proposed by Philips which is actually a firmware update and it DID fixed the issue so my TV is back operational.

Conclusions:
1. If it's working - don't touch it.
2. Excellent customer support from Philips.

p.s. maybe the bad firmware should be removed from the support web site until it's fixed.

Thanks Philips!

Hi to all people in this thread. Same problem here. I upgraded my 32PFL3017H/12 to the latest firmware 2.08 as soon as I put it out of the box, but the screen after restarting became black. I could only see the Philips logo while turning on and nothing else. I tried to take off the power cable for some minutes but it was not useful. How can you update again the firmware if you cannot see anything on the screen?
Thanks in advance for your help.

alabala
06-15-2012, 02:35 PM
It's a different kind of update.

I believe Philips can provide instructions and link for everyone needing this fix.

Philips
06-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Dear customer,

Thanks all for your feedback. This gave us the possibility to handle with speed.....

In order to solve the "Blank screen (with sound) after SW upgrade to v2.08" issue with your Philips xxPFL3xx7 TV, download the file here (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39302754/PS_2K12_3K_DL.zip). Be sure you have the correct model number and this particular issue!

After downloading the file, please follow these instructions:
1. Extract the “PS_2k12_3K_DL.pkg” file into the root directory of an empty USB-stick (FAT formatted).
3. Switch OFF the TV through the AC power (mains).
4. Please insert the USB-stick into the USB port of the TV.
5. Switch ON the TV through the AC power.
6. Upon toggle ON the AC power, it will auto-force the SW upgrade.
7. TV will start to upgrade the firmware: “Software upgrade” window is displayed.
8. Software upgrade is finished. Window is gone and TV switches to Standby status.
9. Unplug USB-stick from the USB port.
10. Power OFF the TV set.
11. Power ON the TV set. TV starts up in Standby status.
12. Use the remote control to switch ON the TV set.
13. Remove the PKG file from the USB-stick after the upgrade has been executed.

If, after the upgrade, your screen has strange colour effects (f.e. greenish) do the following: press Home > Setup > TV settings > Factory settings > Reset and press OK on the remote control.

If the issue is not solved after this upgrade, the TV needs a Service intervention. To arrange that, you must contact your local call center (check here: http://www.support.philips.com/support/catalog_selector.jsp).

Also note that in the mean time a new improved version (v2.09) is uploaded to the Philips support website.

Best regards, JuAn
The Philips forum moderator.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Victorio71
06-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the precious help. The fix seemed initially to work, because, after inserting the USB drive and turning on the set, "magically" the screen switched on and first setup, that I had not done yet, started (no window with "software upgrade" message appeared). BUT, while searching tv channels, after a couple of minutes the screen got again black and the issue came back once more. Do you have any other suggestions or should I take my Philips tv to the nearest Service point?
Thanks again in advance for your kind answer.

-B-
06-15-2012, 04:22 PM
@Philips - I downloaded the file and unpaked it to an empty USB stick.
The TV recognises that the USB stick is there by showing the USB screen (Icons for folders, pictures, music, video) but nothing else happens.
Should the file be renamed to something the TV will automatically recgnise?

Thanks for your continued help.

-B-

podpredsednik
06-15-2012, 05:32 PM
@Philips - I did everything according to your instructions. The TV is working perfectly now. Thank you for the help.

Cookie
06-15-2012, 05:33 PM
@Victorio, did you do a cold reset after the upgrade? Remove power plug for some minutes? That might help....

Victorio71
06-15-2012, 05:53 PM
@Victorio, did you do a cold reset after the upgrade? Remove power plug for some minutes? That might help....

Thank you for the hint. The TV is now unplugged. Tomorrow I will check if what you suggest helps.

Dimined
06-16-2012, 01:52 PM
My TV now works fine. Thanks to JuAn and the Philips support.
Great work.

Victorio71
06-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Mine after cold reset is still not working. :-(

Cookie
06-17-2012, 11:40 AM

Hey Vicotrio71, that's too bad.
- What exactly was your symptom after the "normal" upgrade to v2.08? Blank screen but still sound?
- Did you repeat the upgrade with the PKG file given in this thread by Philips? Does that go smoothly? No errors during that process? What happens after that, I mean what is the exact symptom?
- Which earlier SW version did you have installed before the upgrade to v2.08? That seems to be important somehow.....

-B-
06-17-2012, 06:22 PM

Same here :(

TV just goes to USB screen and does nothing with the .pkg file.
I upgraded from v2.02.

Symptoms: TV screen goes off after a short while. Colours are all wrong.
Interestingly, The USB screen stays on. When the tuner is accessed, the screen does not stay on.

This is Portugal v Netherlands - Grass is red!!!

Victorio71
06-18-2012, 06:15 AM
@Cookie
I upgraded when I put the set out of the box, before tuning channels, so I do not have channels to hear and therefore no sound.
I tried to repeat the upgrade with the file uploaded to tyhis forum, but nothing else happened. I had no screen messages and I could just see Philips logo and then black screen.
I did not check the previous software version, but it could certainly not be the latest one as 2.08 was released six days ago.
Today I'm going to bring my Philips to a Sevice center and I will ask them.

Philips
06-18-2012, 07:03 AM
Same here :(

TV just goes to USB screen and does nothing with the .pkg file.
I upgraded from v2.02.

Symptoms: TV screen goes off after a short while. Colours are all wrong.
Interestingly, The USB screen stays on. When the tuner is accessed, the screen does not stay on.

This is Portugal v Netherlands - Grass is red!!!

Dear -B-,

1. Please activate CSM menu (push 123654 on your remote control), and report us the panel code number (go to CSM page 2 via arrow down). For his TV set, the panel code should read "152".
2. In addition, please inform us about the other info in CSM2.
3. Please try to upgrade to SW v2.06 (currently on the website) and update us on the status especially on the colour portion.

Regards,
JuAn

-B-
06-18-2012, 10:33 AM
@Philips JuAn,
I am at work at the moment so I will try to retrieve the CSM info tonight.
I see that V2.08 has now been removed from the support web site, is this in response to the problems people are reporting since installing it?

Also, I have called the company from whom I bought the TV and they are arranging an engineer visit. If this works, I may not need the service visit.
Fingers crossed.

-B-

-B-
06-18-2012, 06:17 PM
@Philips JuAn,
I retrieved the CSM data and then tried the upgrade (downgrade) to v2.06.

The TV is now working perfectly and the colours are back to normal.
I will test it for the rest of the day and post the CSM data if it fails again.

Many thanks for all the help.

-B-

Philips
06-19-2012, 07:47 AM
All,

If, after the PKG upgrade (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?6181-42PFL3007-FW-upgraded-to-v2-08-now-blank-screen-(with-sound)&p=34855&viewfull=1#post34855), your screen has some strange colours (f.e. greenish) do the following: press Home > Setup > TV settings > Factory settings > Reset and press OK on the remote control.

Regards,
JuAn

Toengel
06-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Hi,

new Firmware 2.09 has been uploaded for T911E TVs:

- 3007H/12 (32, 37, 42, 47)
- 3017H/12 (32)

Toengel@Alex

Philips
06-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Dear all,

Please upgrade your TV with the latest version v2.09 (or higher) from now on. Only when you encounter this "Blank screen (with sound)" issue, please use the given PKG upgrade (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?6181-42PFL3007-FW-upgraded-to-v2-08-now-blank-screen-(with-sound)&p=34855&viewfull=1#post34855) method to recover your TV, and after that, upgrade to v2.09 (or higher).

Regards,
JuAn