PDA

View Full Version : BDP5200/05 problems - Media Server & WiFi

Valkrider
06-18-2012, 11:03 AM
I have a BDP 5200/05 that I recently purchased. I have updated it to the latest v1.55 firmware.

I have 2 issues with it.

1: It cannot see my media server. I have a Zxyel NAS310 on my network that is configured as a dlna media server. My iPad and various PC's can see it fine. My BDP cannot. I then enabled Windows media server and it cannot see that either.

The above problem may be linked to problem 2.

2: The wifi connection is lousy to say the least. My iPad and laptop work fine all over the house even right next to the BDP which is only 5 meters from the router in a separate room. Sometimes the BDP sees the wifi and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it stays connected for a couple of hours but usually it drops the wifi connection after a couple of minutes.

Do I have a faulty unit? Is this normal? Is ther any way to improve the wifi performance / reliability as I cannot run an ethernet cable to the BDP? Any other thoughts?

TIA

Colin

Valkrider
06-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Doesn't any one from Philips monitor this forum any more? No reply from anyone in 2 days is pretty poor.:(

Schlacke
06-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Did you test the media server and the wifi connection BEFORE updating to latest firmware ?
If so, are the problems the same with the older fw ?
Could be a problem with your BDP 5200 or maybe just with the 1.55 fw (other peoples have also problems with this fw too; f.e. with hdd via usb).
So if you could get an older fw (1.52) for your 5200, you could downgrade and test again.
I would try (just for testing) the ethernet cable, to make sure your problem with the media server isn´t based on the ´lousy´wifi connection.
Here an upload of my 5200/12 1.52 fw: http://ul.to/td89il4f
Don´t know what´s the differents between the /12 (germany) and the /05 (uk), but maybe the fw is the same. Your own risk if you wanna try.
Btw.: After a downgrade or upgrade you should do a factory reset of your BDP.

Valkrider
06-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks very much for answering. It didn't work before and that was why I took the chance on the firmware upgrade. IIRC it was something like 1.16 on my BDP before I did the upgrade. I will buy a long ethernet cable tomorrow and give it a try.

How do you do a factory reset?

kwinnie
06-21-2012, 02:19 AM
this varies from a device to another.
can u see if u can do:
main menu > advanced > restore factory default?

Valkrider
06-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks I will try that.

neilski
06-24-2012, 12:14 PM
If that doesn't help, it could be you have a flaky unit (within the hardware) or just some incompatibility between your boxes. Mine (also 5200/05) works fine over WiFi and sees multiple media servers in the house.

It's possible to buy (I've done it with my Humax for under twenty quid) a little WiFI box you can plug into the Ethernet port on the back of your BDP... (But if your box has flaky hardware, better to get it replaced.)

Btw, I suspect this forum probably isn't the best way to get the attention of Philips. They do respond to some threads but it's intermittent at best.

Valkrider
06-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the reply Neilski. I will have a look at one of those wifi things that you mentioned.;)

It makes you wonder why Philips have a forum if they don't monitor it.:mad:

kwinnie
06-25-2012, 08:46 AM
It makes you wonder why Philips have a forum if they don't monitor it.:mad:

this is a philips platform, but at the same time a community forum. community here helps a lot as far as i can see:) that is why.