PDA

View Full Version : Your experiences with FW v0.87.0 for 4xx7 and 5xx7 series (2012 models)

Philips - Thomas
06-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Hi Guys

Please share your experiences with this new SW version here in this topic. Channeling your input will make it easier for users to search and find relevant info.

Remarks
- Due to our global IT structure, there might be a delay in the uploading/synchronising of new SW releases (and their release notes). Please, have a little patience if you cannot immediately see the new files on our web pages and try 1 or 2 days later.
- After upgrading your TV it is advised to perform a "cold start": unplug the TV from the mains for a few minutes before starting again.

Release Notes:
• TV switches to standby by itself after power on for few minutes.
• TV turns off and on by itself while watching satellite channels. (Only applicable to K-models)
• “The video format is not supported” message appears onscreen via HDMI connection.
• TV has no sound when you play a video from Smart TV applications.
• Intermittent picture freeze and sound loss during TV programme recording playback.
• Picture is stretched and distorted when you watch a video in [Auto zoom] picture format.
• Subtitle is not synchronized with the video.
• Subtitle menu cannot be opened anymore and P+/P- do not work anymore after you switch
between channels with HbbTV application switched on.
• Flickering lines appear after you select [2D to 3D conversion]. (Only applicable to 5000 series)
• Picture remains in 2D mode although [2D to 3D conversion] is selected. (Only applicable to 5000
series)

Regards
Thomas

johan81
06-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Well, installed it, though still no sound when using an MKV with DTS sound. I do not care about decoding it to anything else but to just have the internal speakers playing the sound. Are you really too cheap to license DTS or is it something technical, which I would highly doubt?

You advertise with media player integrated, though you do not deliver on that. Any media player supports DD/DTS/MP3 and some more basic codecs.

Toengel
06-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Hi,

I can understand you... however, nowhere is stated that DTS is supported...

Toengel@Alex

johan81
06-21-2012, 05:26 PM
And nowhere there is stated DTS is NOT supported. If it is advertised as a media player, then some things can be assumed and if not supported should be mentioned clearly.
I do not believe anyone here can admit it is a normal thing that DTS is not supported and not mentioned it is not.
It seems to be a pure financial (not technical) choice which is quite bad if you ask me.

Toengel
06-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Hi,

come on - which company wrote down what is not supported?

However, take a look at the Home Media Player HMP70001 - it supports many codecs. Or the new 2012 Blu-ray-Player - they even support H.264 High Profile @ Level 5.1

Toengel@Alex

johan81
06-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Hi,

come on - which company wrote down what is not supported?

However, take a look at the Home Media Player HMP70001 - it supports many codecs. Or the new 2012 Blu-ray-Player - they even support H.264 High Profile @ Level 5.1

Toengel@Alex

This is such a tool response.... All other TV manufacturers support DTS, why should I buy a media player if there is a media player in the TV. You are not really helpful and are not realistic. I guess that is the kind of response we can expect from a Philips employee....

I know other companies do not state what is not supported, that is because they support all mainstream codecs, the ones you would expect to be supported by a media player. Again, if they advertise with media player, DTS is to be assumed to be supported. So, in that case is should have been mentioned that DTS is not supported, as it takes a huge chunk out of the real media player functionality and you know it!

Toengel
06-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Hi,

name two TV manufactures... ;-) There is only 1 (from my knowledge) :D

Toengel@Alex

johan81
06-21-2012, 07:04 PM
OK, it seems that other TV brands might not support DTS that well too. Samsung does support it quite well, as does Panasonic, Sony and LG I could not find definitive answers for and cannot comment on the support (it might be good or bad, no clue on the latest models).
So, those are two brands that support it. Pana from the 30 series and Samsung I am not completely sure about, didn't feel like putting in too much time in that.

Still, I think the other brands not supporting it is not a good excuse, they are on the bad side of the media player functionality too, it is just bad practice!

rjbmoreira
06-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Hi Thomas and everyone,

I bought a 32pfl4007h/12 6days ago and i've already got a replacement. But the problem still exists, so I started searching the web and came here.
Problem: When in standby, power led is on! I turn on the tv, power led turns off, after 35seconds the TV goes off (but power led does NOT turn on). I try to power it on with both the remote and with the button in the TV but nothing works, even though the power led blinks when I press the buttons (as it is supposed to do, so the tv recognizes the button presses). 15seconds after the tv went off, it turns on by it self (not a reaction to button presses because it happens even when I don't press them).
After that time the TV comes on, the problem does NOT happen again (but I only had time to keep someone around the tv for about 5 or 6hours) until I turn it off. If I turn the TV off and again on, after 35secs the problem will happen.
This problem happened with the first equipment and with the replacement and happened with firmware versions v0.79.1.0, v0.79.4.0 and v0.87.0 .
Also, i should point out that I tried with both antena signal and HDMI connection. The problem happens always.

One more piece of info: I disconnected the TV from the plug and waited 1minute and reconnected to the plug. Turned it on, waited for 2 and a half minutes and the problem did not happen. Turn off the TV to standby mode with the button on the tv, waited some time, turned it on and after 35seconds BAM, problem came back.

Please, can you help?

Regards,
Ricardo

johan81
06-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Heya Ricardo,

I have experienced the same thing. Was just about to write up about it and saw your post. I have an external HDD connected to my TV as well, a 2.5" drive. Haven't tried it without as I do not feel too much like troubleshooting this problem myself. The problem is a bit annoying, but not that much of a problem yet. I think it is a software problem and it will be solved soon, I even think Philips knows about this problem, if not, we have certainly rang their bell about it.

Do you have an external HDD connected to it as well?

rjbmoreira
06-24-2012, 01:19 AM
Do you have an external HDD connected to it as well?

Hi johan, no, i do not have any usb device connected to the TV..

johan81
06-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Well, that makes it clear, the USB HDD is not an issue in this case. Do you have a CI+ module installed? I do, that is the only thing, other than my USB HDD, that is connected to my TV. This should make it easier for them to fix, this kind of info.

rjbmoreira
06-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Well, that makes it clear, the USB HDD is not an issue in this case. Do you have a CI+ module installed? I do, that is the only thing, other than my USB HDD, that is connected to my TV. This should make it easier for them to fix, this kind of info.

I don't have a CI+ module. In fact, the only thing connected to my TV is the power cord, the antenna cable and a HDMI cable from a box. other than that, nothing more. Since the issue has a fixed timming and only happens if the tv was previously in standby (and not disconnected from the plug), I think it should be a firmware problem and that Philips can search deep into the firmware and "easily" find the problem.

johan81
06-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Agreed then, the fact that this isn't solved yet, puzzles me and makes my doubt the professionalism of Philips FW team to be honest (even though the problem isn't that much of a problem, it still is a big "in your face" thing and hasn't been solved in the last two updates).

rjbmoreira
06-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Release Notes:
• TV turns off and on by itself while watching satellite channels. (Only applicable to K-models)

johan, the issue seems like this one, being the only difference the fact that it happens with whatever we're watching and the tv is an H-model. Probably our issue is solved in a similar way they solved this one of the K-models.
I don't doubt they will take our feedback and discription of the issue and try to solve it, otherwise they wouldn't have this threads to get our feedback and improve the firmware :)

johan81
06-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Ahhh, yeah, that is true, maybe I am a bit negative about this because lately more and more of these issues seem to rise on different kind of electronics and not get solved and that is in no sense isolated to Philips. So, you might say my believe in good support on electronics has disappeared.
All the other functionalities I am quite happy about, except for the lack of DTS support (yes, I am mentioning this again ;) , I just cannot believe why this is not there).

AdrianWNS
06-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Hi all!
A week ago I bought 42PFL4307H. Since yesterday I have uploaded the new software on my TV. Since then I have a problem with the 3D image in SBS format. On the screen appeared white dots - only when watching 3D movies. Do you have the same problem like this? Also, have you noticed the gap between frame and screen?

johan81
06-25-2012, 07:04 AM
This morning I woke up and saw that the TV had turned itself on, the weirdest was that I got some screen without any content, just a black screen, but it clearly was on....
Haven't seen this before, though only have the TV since last tuesday, so, that doesn't say much.

corvo67
06-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Hi all!
A week ago I bought 42PFL4307H. Since yesterday I have uploaded the new software on my TV. Since then I have a problem with the 3D image in SBS format. On the screen appeared white dots - only when watching 3D movies. Do you have the same problem like this? Also, have you noticed the gap between frame and screen?

I'm in the same condition too.
I have 2 workaround to resolve this problem, but I hope Philips will resolve this issue as soon as possible!
- If you send a 720p signal dots disappear
- if you select PC MODE ON the problem disappear also with 1080i signals

I cant' try 1080p beacause (at the moment) I have not a bluray 3d player

I want also try to downgrade firmware, but unfortunately I can't find old firmware file on philips site.

mmajis
06-25-2012, 09:58 AM
This morning I woke up and saw that the TV had turned itself on, the weirdest was that I got some screen without any content, just a black screen, but it clearly was on....
Haven't seen this before, though only have the TV since last tuesday, so, that doesn't say much.

This happens for me too. Every morning around 5:30 - 6:10 the TV will turn on for a random number of seconds (maybe 5-60 seconds) with a black screen. Sound from a radio channel is played during this time (or maybe it's some TV channel that plays radio during the night).

Tried to find a way to turn this wake up alarm off but it's not there :)

I'm still running the earlier firmware, but clearly no fix for this with the new one then.

johan81
06-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Wow, yeah, that seems to be something in there for a while then. Lots of things to do for the FW engineers it seems, though, this is one hell of an annoying problem since it is in our bedroom....

user0815
06-25-2012, 10:11 AM
@ mmajis, @ corvo67 and other first time poster to this forum.
Your complaints may be interesting for all, but woun't help you getting the problems fixed with your new bought devices.

You need to complain at your sales instead.

This Forum has nothing to do with Philips support. Your sales is in charge for complaints, repairs, warranty and probable rejection of your TV.
Just FYI :eek:

AdrianWNS
06-25-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm in the same condition too.
I have 2 workaround to resolve this problem, but I hope Philips will resolve this issue as soon as possible!
- If you send a 720p signal dots disappear
- if you select PC MODE ON the problem disappear also with 1080i signals

I cant' try 1080p beacause (at the moment) I have not a bluray 3d player

I want also try to downgrade firmware, but unfortunately I can't find old firmware file on philips site.

Thanks for reply. With 1080p, there is no problem.

corvo67
06-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks for reply. With 1080p, there is no problem.

It's like a can imagine. The problem is with interlaced signals. I can't understand why Philips engineers have modified things that run well before. (sorry for my poor english).

@ user0815 , I alredy have contacted italian support and i'm waiting for a reply, but I find a good things also an excange of information by user with same problem and sometimes solution for all.

Philips - Benedickte
06-27-2012, 01:27 PM
This happens for me too. Every morning around 5:30 - 6:10 the TV will turn on for a random number of seconds (maybe 5-60 seconds) with a black screen. Sound from a radio channel is played during this time (or maybe it's some TV channel that plays radio during the night).

I'm still running the earlier firmware, but clearly no fix for this with the new one then.

Hi mmajis and johan81.

I have had a little look into this. I would advice you to check if channel update is on or off on your sets.

This is how you turn it off :
1. Press menu button ( house)
2. Select [Setup] > [Channel settings] or [Satellite settings].
3. In the [Channel installation] menu select [Automatic channel update] > [Off].

You can find this in the manual (http://www.philips.co.uk/c/televisions/4000-series-107-cm-42-inch-full-hd-1080p-dvb-t2-c-42pfl4007t_12/prd/;jsessionid=1E9D1839B25D608317022B64256465BA.app10 2-drp1?t=support) at page 35-36.

Please update me on status after this is done.

Benedickte.

Philips - Benedickte
06-27-2012, 01:59 PM
johan, the issue seems like this one, being the only difference the fact that it happens with whatever we're watching and the tv is an H-model. Probably our issue is solved in a similar way they solved this one of the K-models.
I don't doubt they will take our feedback and discription of the issue and try to solve it, otherwise they wouldn't have this threads to get our feedback and improve the firmware :)

Hi Ricardo and Johan

I would advice you to contact your local customer support (http://www.support.philips.com/support/catalog_selector.jsp?COOKIE=off) for this issue you are experiencing.

Benedickte

johan81
06-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Hi mmajis and johan81.

I have had a little look into this. I would advice you to check if channel update is on or off on your sets.

This is how you turn it off :
1. Press menu button ( house)
2. Select [Setup] > [Channel settings] or [Satellite settings].
3. In the [Channel installation] menu select [Automatic channel update] > [Off].

You can find this in the manual (http://www.philips.co.uk/c/televisions/4000-series-107-cm-42-inch-full-hd-1080p-dvb-t2-c-42pfl4007t_12/prd/;jsessionid=1E9D1839B25D608317022B64256465BA.app10 2-drp1?t=support) at page 35-36.

Please update me on status after this is done.

Benedickte.

Thanks for your help, though in my case I cannot turn it off, maybe it is due to my CI+ module?

And in your next post you tell us to contact our local support, does that mean you suspect a hardware failure? Judging what Ricardo said is that it probably is a FW issue, though you might have different information on it.

Philips - Benedickte
06-28-2012, 10:40 AM

Good afternoon mmajis.

Can you please confirm what software you have? and if not the latest, please update by USB.

Benedickte

Philips - Benedickte
06-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Hi Thomas and everyone,

I bought a 32pfl4007h/12 6days ago and i've already got a replacement. But the problem still exists, so I started searching the web and came here.
Problem: When in standby, power led is on! I turn on the tv, power led turns off, after 35seconds the TV goes off (but power led does NOT turn on). I try to power it on with both the remote and with the button in the TV but nothing works, even though the power led blinks when I press the buttons (as it is supposed to do, so the tv recognizes the button presses). 15seconds after the tv went off, it turns on by it self (not a reaction to button presses because it happens even when I don't press them).
After that time the TV comes on, the problem does NOT happen again (but I only had time to keep someone around the tv for about 5 or 6hours) until I turn it off. If I turn the TV off and again on, after 35secs the problem will happen.
This problem happened with the first equipment and with the replacement and happened with firmware versions v0.79.1.0, v0.79.4.0 and v0.87.0 .
Also, i should point out that I tried with both antena signal and HDMI connection. The problem happens always.

One more piece of info: I disconnected the TV from the plug and waited 1minute and reconnected to the plug. Turned it on, waited for 2 and a half minutes and the problem did not happen. Turn off the TV to standby mode with the button on the tv, waited some time, turned it on and after 35seconds BAM, problem came back.

Please, can you help?

Regards,
Ricardo

Hi Ricardo

Could you please unplug the HDMI cable from the TV and test if this still happens?

Thanks
Benedickte

rjbmoreira
06-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Hi Ricardo

Could you please unplug the HDMI cable from the TV and test if this still happens?

Thanks
Benedickte

Hi Benedickte,

I already did that. Disconnected all the cables but the antenna and it still happens. But it only happens when coming from Standby. If I plug the power and turn on the TV, that time it does not happen. Then I shut it down with either the remote or the button on the back of the TV and when I turn it on, after 35seconds the problem happens...

johan81
06-29-2012, 03:54 PM
The help here seems very arbitrary and generic, it doesn't seem very useful posting here if you expect help, more to just shout out and inform people is all there is left then I guess.

rjbmoreira
06-30-2012, 11:28 PM
I hate to say it, but I just came back from returning this second TV and getting a refund. It is a problem that happens always, not sometimes. Tested 5 different TVs, all same model, all with the problem. Philips should've resolved this issue long time ago because it's not something that goes unnoticed...

Best regards to everyone!

user0815
07-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks for sharing, though.
Sounds like a serial fault with 32pfl4007h/12 ? May be, may be not ?
However, another customer less and nobody is in charge :confused:

rjbmoreira
07-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks for sharing, though.
Sounds like a serial fault with 32pfl4007h/12 ? May be, may be not ?
However, another customer less and nobody is in charge :confused:

I wouldn't call it a serial fault with the equipment, but instead a serious fault with the firmware. I bet money that it's a firmware issue and not a hardware issue. I left my feedback here and also to the store from which I had bought the TV (which is one of the main stores in my country that sells Philips TVs). I know that the first set I bought was sent to Philips with description of the issue, and I hope that this second one follows the same way but with the description in capital letters so they resolve it once and for all..

Just another piece of info from me: I would buy again a Philips TV. I don't think that all of the models have this kind of issues and if this model was fixed and I needed to buy a TV, I would consider it because it is a really good tv. It has great specs and a really solid construction for a 2012 TV which costed 499€. I bought now a LG tv (32LS5600), same size, also fullHD, but "only" 100Hz instead of 200Hz of the Philips. I got a 20% discount that the store was giving this weekend on LG TVs and it costed me 300€. It is a great TV for that price, but comparing it to the Philips is only partly possible. The construction of the Philips is really good, the LG has lots of soft(er) plastic parts. The base of the Philips is also much more rigid. In terms of image, the LG is a lot better than my old TV, but I'm able to notice the difference between the Philips panel and the LG one, with the victory going to the Philips. The main advantage of the LG is that it does not turn off after 35seconds. (and the price was really nice, also)

Toengel
07-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Hi,

new firmware is out: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?6402-Your-experiences-with-FW-v0-88-0-for-4xx7-and-5xx7-series-(2012-models)&p=35773#post35773

Toengel@Alex