PDA

View Full Version : Update your firmware to enjoy Spotify on NP3700

Philips - QK
06-22-2012, 02:25 AM
Introduction

Software version: V3.17S

Benefits:

1. Listen to over 15 million songs on your device. This software update brings you the music service from Spotify. With Spotify, you now have access to unlimited music and make it easy to discover music on NP3700*.

After your NP3700 has been upgraded to the latest software, click “OK” on the remote control when you see an “OSS message” shown on the device to restart and begin enjoying Spotify. If you are already a Spotify Premium account user, simply go to Online Music Service in the menu item, select Spotify and enter your Spotify Premium account information. Once logged in, you can enjoy millions of tracks at any time you like.

Spotify music service is currently available in Sweden, Norway, Finland, the UK, the US, France, Spain, the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Germany and Denmark. If you are not yet a registered Spotify Premium account user and would like to learn about Premium account registration information, please visit http://www.spotify.com to find out more information.

* Please note that this device supports up to 70 playlists and 2500 tracks. Please visit our support website at www.philips.com/support more information.

2. ALARM feature includes “DAY OF THE WEEK” selection

3. You can now obtain latest weather forecasting information from Accuweather in device standby mode. Your default city setting is set based on your Internet connection location (IP location). You can change the city setting via /ONLINE-SERVICES/ACCUWEATHER. To switch temperature unit between fahrenheit to celsius, go to /SETTINGS/Unit of measure. For more information about Accuweather, please visit www.accuweather.com.

NOTE: Starting with this software version, we have disabled Ogg Vorbis decoder support on this device.

Software Version Verification Procedure

1. In active mode, press the SETTINGS button on the remote control.
2. Press to select Information, press OK.
3. Press to highlight Software version: and the display will scroll to indicate the current software version your device is having.

How do I update the software on my device?

Make sure that your device has established a valid Internet connection with your router.

1. In active mode, press the SETTINGS button on your device remote control.
2. Press to select Check for software upgrades, press OK.
3. It will then check with the server whether there is newer software available. If there is a newer one, the screen would show:

New software is available for your product. Do you wish to install the software (see manual for conditions)?

4. Click Yes to start downloading the new software via the Internet.
5. After finish downloading the new software, the device will automatically start upgrading to the new one.
6. After the upgrade has finished, device will restart and you can then enjoy the device again.

Jabro54
06-22-2012, 09:37 AM
After the latest update from last night showed that after restarting the display in the "maximum dimmed" stood.
Have a totally darkened room, where the display was barely distinguishable, the correct settings back can take.

Still a bit sloppy Philips.

jurekcy
06-22-2012, 11:28 AM
And now the song title and artist is displayed during internet radio playback! I didn't think i will see it happen :) Very good update!

agarius
06-24-2012, 07:01 AM
3. You can now obtain latest weather forecasting information from Accuweather in device standby mode. Your default city setting is set based on your Internet connection location (IP location). You can change the city setting via /ONLINE-SERVICES/ACCUWEATHER. To switch temperature unit between fahrenheit to celsius, go to /SETTINGS/Unit of measure. For more information about Accuweather, please visit www.accuweather.com.

How to change and store my locale city? My provider-ip is 800km southly from my home :confused:

jurekcy
06-24-2012, 09:34 AM
How to change and store my locale city? My provider-ip is 800km southly from my home :confused:

Well I don't know it either - I tried to do it via online services and with device settings. Via online services there's no settings for accuweather, and with device's menu you can change it for a while but after power off and on the setting is back. Fortunatelly my provider is 20km from my home.

What I do not like is that during the sunny day you cannot see anything on the device's display - current time is displayed with white font and the background is light-blue with white (!) image of sky. Great idea....

theplim
06-24-2012, 11:05 AM
I have just loaded the latest 'upgrade', which apparently appears to be in fact a 'downgrade', since i can no longer play approx 70% (about 130Gb) of my music held on my music server because it is in Ogg format. I bought the NP3700 specifically to play that file format, which it did very satisfactorily until this mornings downgrade, now i only have access to the 30% which is in MP3 format.
Are you going to release another update very quickly to restore the Ogg support.

Philips - QK
06-25-2012, 02:36 AM
Dear theplim,

Please be noted that a PM has been sent to you. Kindly check your inbox.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

joxn
06-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Just to also add this to this thread: after installing the update my device died. I could not restart it.
I reached Customer Support and they will pick it up tomorrow to fix it.

I have been saying this before and I will say this again: Dear Philips, your hardware is great, but your software is extremely bad. Since new devices are more and more like computers that run software, you should consider either to open source your software to let the community develop and bug fix for you or you should outsource your software development devision to a more capable provider.

stbn
06-27-2012, 06:56 AM
Where can I switch off this extremely anyoing Accuweather feature???
I don't even know city shown in the standby screen! Furthermore I'm using the device as alarm clock: now my sleepingroom is bright as day or I can't read the time anymore!

fromsomewhere
06-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Where can I switch off this extremely anyoing Accuweather feature???
I don't even know city shown in the standby screen! Furthermore I'm using the device as alarm clock: now my sleepingroom is bright as day or I can't read the time anymore!

Hi

Did you try display brightness setting for standby mode under display setting? with an adjustment there , the prob should be tackled ? ( do not forget to click OK after setting the brightness :)

rnmboon
06-27-2012, 04:03 PM
NOTE: Starting with this software version, we have disabled Ogg Vorbis decoder support on this device.
I am somewhat stunned by this news. One of the reasons why I originally bought the NP3700 was because it is one of the few network players that supports Ogg Vorbis. I am now no longer able to play the music on my NAS. :(

Is the removal of Ogg-support permanent? I dearly hope not.

stbn
06-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Hi

Did you try display brightness setting for standby mode under display setting? with an adjustment there , the prob should be tackled ? ( do not forget to click OK after setting the brightness :)

Hi, thanks - sure I did: either you see nothing (dimmed) or the room is bright as day (not dimmed). The dimmed clock, white numbers on black background, was fine. Other issue is of course, that the info dispayed is simply worth nothing, because it is not "my" local weather. As far as I know the weather location cannot be changed manually on the standby screen, nor can it be switched off completely. How stupid is this?

Philips - QK
06-28-2012, 02:41 AM
Dear rnmboon,

Regarding the OGG support, I have sent you a PM. Kindly check your inbox.

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

stbn
06-28-2012, 06:35 AM
Dear rnmboon,

Regarding the OGG support, I have sent you a PM. Kindly check your inbox.

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

May I ask what is so Top secret about the OGG support that you do not want to tell openly? I am also missing this feature which was advertised when I bought the device.

Philips - QK
06-28-2012, 06:52 AM
Hi stbn,

There is no big secret here. :) It's just we have to get the approval and get some data from the users, we take this offline.
I will send you a PM on this also.

With thanks & regards,
Philips Moderation Team

joxn
07-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Just to also add this to this thread: after installing the update my device died. I could not restart it.
I reached Customer Support and they will pick it up tomorrow to fix it.

Just to follow up: It took Customer Support about 2.5 weeks to fix my device. Actually, the did not fix my device, they simple sent me a brand-new device. Not bad.

joxn
07-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Dear Philips - QK,

as you seem to be active in this thread - this is much appreciated! - could you explain what the road-ahead for the AccuWeather situation (basically, how to disable it in the standby screen) as well as the Ogg Vorbis support is?

Thank you very much.

theplim
07-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Dear Philips - QK,

as you seem to be active in this thread - this is much appreciated! - could you explain what the road-ahead for the AccuWeather situation (basically, how to disable it in the standby screen) as well as the Ogg Vorbis support is?

Thank you very much.

Joxn

I wish i knew what is going to happen. In answer to your question, the accuweather, when it is displayed, it gives me the correct location etc. and for the standby screen my just goes black. As for the OGG support, I've been waiting two weeks for the "backroom boffins", who decided to take the OGG support away to give us Spotify, to give me the means to return the unit back to the previous version of firmware, and it seems that this rollback process still not be available until next week,(about 4 week after i complained), but that also means that i cannot 'upgrade' again in the future, even if they release a major bug fix, because it will remove the OGG support again. a bit like being between a rock and a hard place, in other words I lose out whatever!!, as will you probably, if you manage to get to be able to roll back the firmware.
I dont believe that Philips can legally downgrade the spec'n of units that have been sold, but they don't seem to be bothered about its customer base.

The Plim

Philips - QK
07-17-2012, 04:24 AM
Dear Joxn,

There is not an option to disable the AccuWeather. May I know what issue you have with AccWeather? Is that also black screen issue when standby? Or, is it showing wrong info issue?

Dear The Plim,

Apologies for keeping you waiting for so long since this is quite a manual process. The IT implementation has been done yesterday. You can check in the coming days if that is ready for you. Thanks a lot for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

joxn
07-17-2012, 08:28 AM
There is not an option to disable the AccuWeather. May I know what issue you have with AccWeather? Is that also black screen issue when standby? Or, is it showing wrong info issue?

Dear Philips - QK,
I would like to just show a clock in the standby screen. I use the device as a bed side clock in the bedroom. It is not comfortable to have such a bright screen at night.

I dim the display in standby already, but even then with the AccuWeather information in the standby screen, it is just so much brighter.

What I am looking for, is an option for the standby screen: black/off, AccuWeather, Clock-only or custom picture.

Thank you very much.

Philips - Remko
07-18-2012, 07:41 AM
Dear joxn,

The option to black off the standby screen is, unfortunatly, not available on NP3700. The only way to black off the screen is to switch the device off.

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

joxn
07-18-2012, 01:32 PM
The option to black off the standby screen is, unfortunatly, not available on NP3700. The only way to black off the screen is to switch the device off.

The key point is to have the old option again to just show a clock in the standby display.

Please understand that for certain use cases - like using the device as a bed side player/alarm clock - it is much nicer to just show a clock than a full-blown AccuWeather screen that lights up your whole bedroom.

Is there a (semi-) official feature request / bug fix / wish list available in this forum?

Thanks.

fredo
07-31-2012, 09:49 PM
Introduction

Software version: V3.17S

Hi,

First of all, thank you for this upgrade !
As many, I use my 3700 as a bedside alarm clock, and the day of week feature was really missing...

That being said, since I updated my device (a few days ago) I am experiencing a lots of trouble with the software...
The units tends to stop responding every now and then, and when it happens, I have to unplug/replug it to get it functioning again.
Am I the only one having this issue ?
It can be reproduced very easily by hitting the "Online service" button of the remote control while the unit is playing some streamed music.

My other question is about the alarm repeat function : how can I choose between repeating the alarm in 15 minutes and actually stopping it until the next day ?

In advance, thank you for your feedback.

Best regards,

Fredo.

Alex1971
08-02-2012, 08:41 AM
I bought my 3700 last week an i want to Update to use Spotify.

I can't understand why OGG-Vorbis support has stopped.

I need Information... what is the reason ? Does it come back in new Firmware ?

I have to decide, if i have to send back (Amazon) my 3700.

theplim
08-02-2012, 10:13 AM
I bought my 3700 last week an i want to Update to use Spotify.

I can't understand why OGG-Vorbis support has stopped.

I need Information... what is the reason ? Does it come back in new Firmware ?

I have to decide, if i have to send back (Amazon) my 3700.

Hi there Alex1971

With the conversations I have been having you can have OGG support and not Spotify or have Spotify and NO OGG support.

I am told that customers wanted Spotify, and that the OGG file format is not popular, so they removed it, (i suspect to make room for the firmware to support Spotify).

I unfortunately 'downgraded' my unit by using the new firmware, not knowing the support had been removed, and am still trying to get the old firmware back so I can play my music collection. I'm told I should be able to download it, but as yet not succeeded.

Theplim

Alex1971
08-02-2012, 10:26 AM
@theplim
thanks for your answer...

What for a nonsense is that ? :-(
Old FW with OGG or new FW without OGG ?
No Bugfixes and no added Features when i need OGG ???

Is the Flash-Rom in 3700 such a little one, no Place for new Features ?
Hmm.... if it is really a Problem of Flash-Size i am very disappointed...

..or a problem of license ?

theplim
08-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Alex1971

It's only MY guess that its a space issue, but the release is also a 'buggy' one anyway, as you can see by other comments here.

i doubt its a licence issue as OGG Vorbis is a free, open source format, whereas MP3 is a patented, therefore licenceable, format.

I am waiting for a call from Customer Service, but I've been looking about for other units that support OGG Vorbis and will probably send the Philips back and get something like the Logitech Squeezebox, which seems to have good reviews, supports OGG AND Spotify!!

Theplim

Alex1971
08-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Alex1971

It's only MY guess that its a space issue, but the release is also a 'buggy' one anyway, as you can see by other comments here.

i doubt its a licence issue as OGG Vorbis is a free, open source format, whereas MP3 is a patented, therefore licenceable, format.

I am waiting for a call from Customer Service, but I've been looking about for other units that support OGG Vorbis and will probably send the Philips back and get something like the Logitech Squeezebox, which seems to have good reviews, supports OGG AND Spotify!!

Theplim

Hmm... but squeezebox does not have such a good Sound i think.....

I hope the Philips-Support will tell us somethig about the FW-Situation here in Forum ?!

Why Spotify ist only to use as a PREMIUM User ?

theplim
08-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Hmm... but squeezebox does not have such a good Sound i think.....

I hope the Philips-Support will tell us somethig about the FW-Situation here in Forum ?!

Why Spotify ist only to use as a PREMIUM User ?

I will let you know about the sound quality tomorrow, I have a local Hi-Fi shop that has one available to listen to, so I am popping in to hear it in action.

It is possible to listen to music using the Free Spotify account, but you only get about 10 hours a month i think, but that will keep you updated with the latest music I guess.

Will also advise what Customer Support says when they get back to me.

Theplim

Philips - QK
08-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Dear Alex1971,

I have sent you a PM to give you more info.

Dear ThePlim,

May I know if the firmware downgrade is successful for you? I have sent you a PM. Kindly have a check.

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Alex1971
08-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Whats about InternetRadio-Stations which use OGG-Vorbis ?

They are also useless? Or only ogg-Files at Homeserver ?

Which format will used by Internet-Radio in Future ?

mp3 . aacplus, OGG ???

I want to use the 3700 for the next 5-10 Years....

kwinnie
08-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Whats about InternetRadio-Stations which use OGG-Vorbis ?

They are also useless? Or only ogg-Files at Homeserver ?

Which format will used by Internet-Radio in Future ?

mp3 . AAC, OGG ???

I want to use the 3700 for the next 5-10 Years....

usually for the internet radio, they support more than 1 format. so seldom use the OGG solely.
have you found any radio internet that cannot be played?

Alex1971
08-03-2012, 08:51 AM
For me the main question is:

What is the role of OGG in the future?

I have no OGG Files at Home they are all mp3 or FLAC (some gapless).

BUT i want to be able to hear all GOOD Radio-Stations in Future.
(e.g. Spotify uses OGG-Vorbis and mp3....but whats the Future ?)

When the Internet-Radio-Future is mp3 and aac / eAAC+
AND philips don't kill the next format in future Firmwares.....
then its all OK...

Bradford
08-03-2012, 09:00 AM
For me the main question is:

What is the role of OGG in the future?

I have no OGG Files at Home they are all mp3 or FLAC (some gapless).

BUT i want to be able to hear all GOOD Radio-Stations in Future.
(e.g. Spotify uses OGG-Vorbis and mp3....but whats the Future ?)

When the Internet-Radio-Future is mp3 and aac / eAAC+
AND philips don't kill the next format in future Firmwares.....
then its all OK...

To my guess, there will be less and less internet radio using OGG.
If I were the developers I will not use this uncommon file type either.

Alex1971
08-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Rather strange that Philips does not say why OGG had to be removed.

Alex1971
08-05-2012, 07:16 PM
OK. Software V3.17S is installed.

BUGS ??

@Philips:

How to change Accuwaether city in Standby ? Ist the wrong city (80km away) i can't change it !

How i can fix it e.g. to "Bonn" ??

without an individual setting this Accuweather-Standby feature is absolut useless !

Spotify:

Why is "Spotify Unlimited" (4,99 Euro) not enough to use with NP 3700 ??
Only because of the right to use "Multiroom" ??
Multiroom for 4,99 Extra per month is very expensive.....

Spotify PREMIUM (9,99 Euro) costs 100% more....

kwinnie
08-13-2012, 05:53 AM
read in the germany forum that it is a known issue. but this takes like 3 month to resolve it