PDA

View Full Version : Philips Series 8 and 9 and 3D Gaming

danielx
09-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Hi,
Have to open a new topic. Just registered as a member. I am in shock to hear from other forums that it seems even though Philips was marketing series 8 and 9 as being fully 3d ready (and thus compatibile) it seems taht there are problems with Sony PS3 3d gaming especially after their recent software update. I have a 46 inch 8605 with 3d kit. Very happy with it but I am disappointed that for the time being there seems to be no support for 3d gaming since other users are reporting that the PS3 is not recognising the TVs as 3D capable :(

Is Philips aware of this issue? We 3d users would like to have a truly 3D tv. Already missed out on 3d upscaling (which is a gimmick in my modest opinion) which did not matter much to me after all. However no 3d gaming is tough to accept especially after spending a decent sum for the TV.

Can philips and other users elighten me on this. Was hoping to play GT5 in glorious 3d with ambilight in a few weeks. Till ow it seems that we are gonna miss this :( :( !

Please help....

koenraad
10-05-2010, 07:34 PM
I got the 3D extension kit this weekend for my 40plf8605h. There are some additions to my menu system now that seem to have something to do with 3D. My cable company (ziggo=a dutch company) has a 3D show case channel. But I can't seem to activate my system. Also 3D movies on youtube which I watch with netTV do not seem to support the 3D capabilities of the TV. Or doesn't the TV support 3D capabilities? I got those double screens that my manual talks about but when I go the the 3D menu there are 2 options (3D indeling & 2D/3D) where both options have a stopsign above them. According to my manual I should select "3D indeling" to make from the 2 seperate screens one 3D screen. But I can't seem to select that option.

hansje
10-06-2010, 07:55 AM
Koen,

yesterday new software is uploaded to the web, the release 140.
this software has also support for the 3D channel via Ziggo.

there has to be automatic detection, this is currently not working in oyur set.
therefore these 2 items in the menu are not active.
with the software update to version 140 this should work fine.

just try it.

Glennj
10-06-2010, 08:06 AM
I have bought a 46' 8605 a few months back and recently bought the 3D upgrade set. When I first tested the 3D games on my ps3 (back then firmware 3.41) the 3D effect worked but the quality was horrible, there was serious overlapping, you couldn't watch a 3D game for 2 minutes...

Now with the new PS3 firmware update it did not work at all. In the meantime a technician came and updated the tv with the new firmware ...140.... something. The PS3 games still did not function in 3D so i cannot test if the picture quality has improved, but reading other forums (tweakers, avforums) i shouldn't get my hopes up...

I was hoping that i could play GT5 in 3D aswell but so far it seems that only the 3D blueray player from philips gives a decent image... so far 3D Ready...

i've had a conversation with a philips employee today and he said that they're working on it but don't have a timeframe, it could be weeks but also months... and i don't know if it will work then.

koenraad
10-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Koen,

yesterday new software is uploaded to the web, the release 140.
this software has also support for the 3D channel via Ziggo.

there has to be automatic detection, this is currently not working in oyur set.
therefore these 2 items in the menu are not active.
with the software update to version 140 this should work fine.

just try it.

thanks hansje,

But I already have this update. A repairman installed this software last saterday. (I also had some other problems, which were solved with this update)

********additional information*****************
I just installed software version 3.55 on my PS3, but to no avail. on my plf8605, I still can't play GT5 in 3D.

Glennj
10-11-2010, 08:20 AM
still no news about PS3 3D gaming support?

rhk-s8
10-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Hey all,

I spoke to philips agent today, and i work in a store selling these tv's. I myself own the 40pfl8605h
the new firmware 140 does not include support for Ziggo nor does it include support for the PS3.

However, in the next few weeks there will be a new update. Dunno if they will come at the same time, but expect it soon.

Dutchtronic
10-14-2010, 07:18 AM
There are also discussions on the web that this could be a PS3 issue: look here (http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3-hardware/1330785-ps3-3d-gaming-issue.html). Especially when it started after the PS3 sw upgrade. Maybe contact Sony on this?

Erikrijnders
10-22-2010, 03:46 PM
I have the 37'' versie 37pFL8605/12H. When is there a 3D support for this screen?? A larger screen does not fit my room.

Philips
10-27-2010, 08:31 AM
..... Can philips and other users elighten me on this. Was hoping to play GT5 in glorious 3d with ambilight in a few weeks. Till ow it seems that we are gonna miss this :( :( ! Plase help....

still no news about PS3 3D gaming support?

27-October news:
Sony recognizes the problem and will see to implement the solution in their software release for december 2010, so for these customers we have only the advise to wait for the next Sony update.
Please contact the helpdesk of Sony for more information.

7-December news (thanks to Petasis):
Sony released today firmware 3.55, which seems to solve the problem!
Member Petasis already tested "pain 3D" & "Gran Turismo 5" 3D on his 9705 with success!.

petasis
10-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Is there a link to sony recognising the problem? Can't they release a firmware earlier?

Philips
12-07-2010, 11:19 AM
7-December news (thanks to Petasis):
Sony released today firmware 3.55, which seems to solve the problem!
Member Petasis already tested "pain 3D" & "Gran Turismo 5" 3D on his 9705 with success!.

ipodfan
12-21-2010, 11:53 AM
I tested several games, especially call of duty black ops, pain and motorstorm rift 3D. All work very well, both TV and PS3 running last firmware versions Rift3D can be downloaded from PSN store and is really great in 3D, there is actually a 3D pack for 29 euros in PSN you can download. Caveat: the option to turn on 3D is sometimes hard to find in the game's option menu. Rift3D I have to play and then in game go to options select 3D

Interesting, I find black ops harder to play in 3D then 2D, parially because everything is a bit darker in 3D but also picture is slightly less sharp

Ghosting/Crosstalk in games seems limited to absent, in video (blu-ray) or satellite however its horrendous and gives me a splitting headache. Especially when the part of the picture near me is ok, but the background is ghosting, it makes my eyes cross.
I am replacing HDMI cables this week with high quality HDMI 1.4 cable to see if that helps. Also; the TV has only one HDMI 1.4 port, in my case HDM1/Arc. The PS3 being only hdmi 1.3 I wonder if that causes ghosting issues in movies/ If I use a seperate blu-ray player that has hmdi 1.4 will ghosting go away ?

petasis
12-22-2010, 06:38 PM
The 9705 has 4 HDMI 1.4 ports. All of them are HDMI 1.4. What Philips writes in the manual/leaflet is WRONG.
All HDMI inputs can accept 3D signal, either gaming or bluray 3D. I always connect my PS3 on the side HDMI, and 3D works as expected.
The only difference of HDMI 1 is that it supports ARC, the audio return channel (which I don't know if it is working).

ipodfan
12-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Some searching on the internet reveals the PS3 supports HDMI 1.3, for full HD 3D blu-ray HDMI 1.4 is required. Hence the HDMI 1.4 connector (HDMI1/ARC) and a HDMI 1.4 cable
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

the PS3 will not support full HD (1080p) 3D, and has some other limitations as well playing 3D content
http://www.tqcast.com/2010/09/23/are-you-ready-for-ps3-3d-games-and-blu-rays-what-you-should-know-before-you-spend-thousands/

Sony has apparantly done some smart tricks to get 3D to work using a hdmi 1.3 interface. I wonder how much of a quality difference there is with a stand alone bluray 3d player. Like; does this affect crosstalk ?

petasis
12-23-2010, 03:33 PM
The main feature regarding 3D that HDMI 1.4 brings on the table is frame packing (that means packing two frames for both eyes in a single new frame), and more bandwidth. The chip that PS3 is using, despite being HDMI 1.3 is programmable enough that allows to send frame packing correctly. The only limitation of PS3 is that it cannot pass 3D image + HD audio: there is not enough bandwidth. So, only DTS/DD in bluray 3D with PS3...

PS3 supports bluray 3D, at full 1080p/24 Hz.

The crosstalk is due only on the TV. Do not look at the player...

paul1077
12-23-2010, 03:52 PM
I have the latest PS3 firmware, the latest 46PFL8605H Philips 46" Full HD 1080p software and the 3D kit yet I still can not play Call of Duty Black Ops in 3D.

Please help. This is so frustrating. Im starting to wish I bought a Bravia!

paul1077
12-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Got it to work by re-detecting display settings in the PS3 setup. So simple. Works a dream. I take back what I said about bravias. I love ambilight. Apologies Philips.

Philips
12-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Got it to work by re-detecting display settings in the PS3 setup. So simple. Works a dream. I take back what I said about bravias. I love ambilight. Apologies Philips.

:D Apologies accepted ! :D

el911wood
02-10-2011, 09:04 PM
can philips plz tell us the best picture settings for 3d watching.
problem is i have a lot of ghosting/crosstalk whe i m playing 3d games at my ps3.
thx

gad
02-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Dear Philips,

I too have major crosstalk / ghosting problems with 3d on my 46PFL9705. It's head wrecking to watch. Me and my friends get a head splitting headache trying to watch 3d on it. Some scenes are so illegible with too much double vision, to the point that one cannot visually comprehend the scene. This applies both in gaming and blu-rays.

I distinctly remember the advertising and marketing of Philips, comparing their 3d with plasma TVs and claiming with charts and bullet points the superiority of their 3d TVs in comparison to the competition.

Well, I have watched and compared the 3D on other LCD and Plasma TVs to my Philips TV.

Let me say that I am a very big fan of Philips. All the consumer electronics I buy are Philips branded. I have spent many many thousands on Philips products. For the last 25 years all my TVs, DVD recorders, Ambilights, rechargeable batteries, shavers, Pronto remote controls have all been from Philips. And always I buy the best and most expensive of what Philips has to offer. The same goes with all my friends and family. I buy for them and always suggest and buy Philips.

But in this case I am very very disappointed!!! The 3d of my Philips TV is plain unwatchable. I have compared it to Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Sharp and it's plain simply just the worst by far!

What happened to all the claims from Philips that their 3d is superior? What happened to the claims of Philips that their 3d is better than 3d on plasmas? Was it a lie?

Will I buy again from Philips? Will I keep recommending Philips? Well at this stage I have major doubts!

I would like an official response from Philips as to what you intend to do about this horrendously bad crosstalk which renders 3d unwatchable.

Can a future firmware upgrade improve / correct the amount of crosstalk? Can other future produced glasses impove the picture? Are you working on a solution? Is there a solution to this problem or should we simply write off our TV's 3D part? Should I just sell my TV and go and buy a different brand if I want to watch proper 3d?

I am looking forward to an official and complete reply from Philips on this matter.

Thanking you in advance.

el911wood
02-12-2011, 09:57 AM
i m also very annoyed about the poor 3d quality of my philips tv.
i have done a panel repair through the philips service and the pictures looking better but crosstalk is still there.
i m not sure about that my glasses are defect because the lot of ghosting..
is philips working on a better software or are the problems state of the art for philips 3d tv.
regards

Toengel
02-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Hi,

I heard that the 3d glasses have also influence to the ghosting (x-talk) problem...

Toengel@Alex

Caslar
02-12-2011, 07:08 PM
I would like to concur with Gad's post above!

I am a loyal Philips customer.

Having covered all the bases with numerous replacements, cables and extra purchases we can confirm that after 4 TV's there is something very wrong.

3D is unwatchable!!!

The issue has been confirmed by shop sales assistants and reps!

I too would like an explanation.

petasis
02-16-2011, 07:09 AM
The explanation is simple: they didn't have 3D technology, the other brands were already selling 3D TVs, so they bought technology from another company (xpand) that was integrated in a hurry to some TVs...

So, no local dimming in 3D, no settings for 3D, no conversion of 2D to 3D, ugly cheap-plastic made glasses and a transmitter that you glue on the TV with sticky tape...

stein
02-20-2011, 07:01 PM
I would like more information from philips about this but I understand that they dont.. The ghosting is so horrible that I would be ashamed to release a product like this.

Alicia
02-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Hi,

I heard that the 3d glasses have also influence to the ghosting (x-talk) problem...

Toengel@Alex

Heard it too. When the shutter glasses don't open and close fast enough so you see an image with your right eye, that was meant to be seen only by the left eye and vice versa.

Alicia
02-21-2011, 03:54 PM
And as long as I read all the complaints on the 3D stuff overhere, no way I am going to spend any money on 3D accesoires like the Philips 3D TV-upgradeset PTA02, Blu-ray players, 3D blu-ray discs etc.

F0nt4n
03-16-2011, 02:04 PM
take my worlds back. it was just because i had old hdmi cable

Toengel
03-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Hi,

you should describe your exact setting - maybe it's problem elsewhere...

Toengel@Alex

F0nt4n
03-16-2011, 02:20 PM
46PFL8605 46" settings in game doesnt help. Is there any settings on TV?

Toengel
03-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Hi,

did you changed in the PS3 (it think you are using PS3 connected via HDMI) the TV settings (resolution) to 3D?

Toengel@Alex

F0nt4n
03-16-2011, 02:44 PM
yes, the glasses shutter! Just tried Motorstorm I can only see HUD in 3D. May it be hdmi cable wich one should I use 1.3 or 1.4 or whatever? I dont know wich hdmi cable i have how can I see it?

F0nt4n
03-18-2011, 11:59 AM
just got 1.4a hdmi guess what? same shit no 3D, glasses shutter but I see same picture with gost with glasses and without them.
Any one playing 3D games on ps3?

Toengel
03-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Hi,

without glasses it is normal that you see two images at the same time...

Do you see differences between glasses/no-glasses?

Toengel@Alex

F0nt4n
03-18-2011, 01:07 PM
yes there is no difference! may the glasses be defekt?

Toengel
03-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Hi,

yeah - check batteries...

Even if you have 3D ghosting, then the differences between glasses/no-glasses are remarkable!

Toengel@Alex

petasis
03-19-2011, 10:11 AM
When you have glasses on, do you see flickering on other light sources when you are not looking at the TV?
Because there are two issues:
a) The batteries. (I suppose you removed the plastic lid between the battery and the circuit conducts...)
b) The glasses must be able to receive signal from the infrared transmitter. Ensure that the small blue light lights at the back of the transmitter when you open the TV, and that the glasses see the transmitter when you look at the TV...

Toengel
03-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Hi,

also switch off all energy lamps...

Toengel@Alex

F0nt4n
03-19-2011, 05:30 PM
yes the small blue light lights! And glasses shutter! But same problem

muratn
04-05-2011, 06:28 AM
Hi,
I have 46PFL8505. is any one(or philips) solve problem. Can you watching 3d movie or playing 3d game on ps3 with philips 3d(?) tv. Philips did not accept my return request. Because service did not accept the problem. They just say "TV working properly". Of course they test it on philips BR player.