PDA

View Full Version : Why recording only with EPG (net)?

VeijoM
06-29-2012, 09:47 AM
I tried to browse throught all the threads, but found no sign that Philips has answered one of the most common question here. Why can't Philips allow recording through the non-Net version of the program guide? My experience with the net-version of the program guide is such that I would NEVER use it, if I didn't want to use recording.

The net-epg is too slow to use (especially the start time after tv-on), too sparse in information (only some of the channels have information) and has elements I do not need (gracenote advertising etc). My experience with the tv would be a lot better if I could record without the net-program guide.

As a background information: I live in Finland and have my tv connected to cable television company (dna/welho) and use the WIFI adapter and very fast internet -connection. My television is the 37PFL6606T/12.

If Philips has answered this single simple question, please direct me to the answer. Otherwise, I really hope Philips gives reasonable explanation or, hopefully, changes the software and allows the recording without net-epg.

-Veijo-

Toengel
06-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Hi,

see also: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?1914-USB-Recording-your-experiences

Toengel@Alex

Philips - Mark
06-29-2012, 11:22 AM
The 2011 TV’s capable of USB recording can only make use of this function via an active internet program guide (IP-EPG). It is a hardware limitation, not a software limitation, so it will not change.

Our new 2012 high-end range has a complete new advanced hardware platform. These TV’s do not require an internet connection for USB recording. Program guide from cable and from the internet are supported to mark programs for recording.

VeijoM
06-29-2012, 12:30 PM
The 2011 TVís capable of USB recording can only make use of this function via an active internet program guide (IP-EPG). It is a hardware limitation, not a software limitation, so it will not change.

Our new 2012 high-end range has a complete new advanced hardware platform. These TVís do not require an internet connection for USB recording. Program guide from cable and from the internet are supported to mark programs for recording.

I am a quite stunned because of your reply, especially as the IP-EPG is also a software -thing, and CAN do the recording. :confused:

So, our only hope now would be to have th the IP-EPG made more effective, but as there cannot be available "many versions" of the IP-EPG at the same time, I know I cannot ask a version that has less "moving parts" and maybe even possibility to program the recording (and watching the recording) before (or even without) the net-connection has been established.

But, if this is really as you said, I thank you for the direct answer. I have a digital HD recorder in another room connected to another tv and didn't want to buy another one for this television set as I had one extra external HDD available, but now it seems more tempting. I find it amusing, that every year the televisions of the last year can be seen as "dated". That is the problem with "smart" systems if they are not "really" upgradeable. Otherwise I am very happy with this television, having nice IQ from it. :cool:

-Veijo-