PDA

View Full Version : BDP5100 - No audio via coaxial port

Molesy
07-15-2012, 12:15 AM
Hi, please help.

I recently purchased a BDP5100/12 as secondary unit for my kitchen which was used on a (old) plasma TV, I upgraded the 5100 to 1.62 firmware and have used it to watch many Blu-Rays, DVD's, Video and Music over my LAN without any issues. I thought I would give it a go on my main setup and this is when I tried the audio into a AV AMP and found no audio was being detected out of the digital coax port on my AV AMP.

I've tried several DVD's and several Blu-rays, I've change each of the audio options on the 5100 in turn to each setting and my A/V AMP (Pioneer VSX-515) doesn't detect any audio input. The AV amp works fine, I'm sure since I've used it with various other DVD players and media players (before and after using the 5100) using the digital audio input. Normally it detects automatically analogue or digital / dts / dolby d / etc. and I can manually change it.

Any ideas why I am not getting audio output? I don't have a HDMI TV as I use slightly older professional plasma monitors with VGA/RGB input, I was doing to test the 5100 on my parents TV to check at least the audio worked through HDMI but I really want digital out on the coax port to work. The RCA Stereo out works fine. The digital coax port feels solid and not broken.

Thanks,
Alan

kwinnie
07-16-2012, 06:37 AM
yep, try with other player to see if the amp/ digital coax cable works fine or not.
also for the audio setup, on "DIGITAL AUDIO", are you using auto mode already?

Molesy
07-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks Kwinnie for your help. I tried a couple of cables already but can try a couple more. Since the connection is a RCA/Phone plug and the cables I'm using were previously used for composite video I assumed they worked.

RE: Another AMP. I don't have one to test with. A friend might.

RE: Audio Setup. The two main options were already set to AUTO and I changed them to bitstream, then PCM and back to AUTO.

One point I have left out is that on the AMP i've only used DVD/media players with a fibre optic cable and not a RCA/Coax cable. I had made the assumption that if the digital in via fibre cable worked then the coax in should also work. I know I should never assume and so I will be looking for something else in my house with digital coax out to be sure the AMP works. I will post an udpate.

Just for clarity, are we talking about S/PDIF? If so then I'm surprised the BDP 5100 doesn't have a TOSLINK/Fibre connector and has a coaxial connector instead.

Molesy
07-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Solved - After testing with another DVD player and still getting no sound I checked the AMP again. Turns out the coaxial ports where both disabled. No idea why or how. Enabled one and now I get DTS from the 5100. Thanks for your help.

klauzser
07-17-2012, 03:30 AM
Wow. This is great. Thanks for sharing the solution for this problem. http://imagicon.info/cat/12-19/vbsmile.png