PDA

View Full Version : MKV subtitles via DLNA

EdSena
07-27-2012, 03:15 AM
Hi,

I bought two 32PFL5007G/78 here in Brazl this week, and both of them can't play my MKV files with the embeded subtitles in the srt format; When I hit the "Options" button and navigate to the "Subtitles" menu, I always see 3 entries there saying "Message Error", despite of the amount of subtitles embeded (even with files with NO subtitles at all the TV is behaving this way).

Is this any sort of know limitation or is a bug ? BTW, I'm running the latest SW version recognized by the TV's auto update feature. (The full version ID is e_IDTV0801_LINUX_002123_2_001_293_ALS_BR_5
L12M11L_1.3.04

EDIT: I copied the sample file to an USB stick and via USB the subtitles menu is working properly. In fact, after enabling it via the USB area, they started to appear via DLNA. But I still can't change anything via DLNA, 'cos the menu is still messy.

BTW, the subtitles are really, really tiny; I almost can't see them in the screen (they're almost the same size of the "Philips" logo in the front of the TV. Is there any place where one could adjust its size/position? I couldn't find this option anywhere in the setup menu)

Best Regards,
Ed.

Philips - Benedickte
07-31-2012, 08:35 AM
Hi,

I bought two 32PFL5007G/78 here in Brazl this week, and both of them can't play my MKV files with the embeded subtitles in the srt format; When I hit the "Options" button and navigate to the "Subtitles" menu, I always see 3 entries there saying "Message Error", despite of the amount of subtitles embeded (even with files with NO subtitles at all the TV is behaving this way).

Is this any sort of know limitation or is a bug ? BTW, I'm running the latest SW version recognized by the TV's auto update feature. (The full version ID is e_IDTV0801_LINUX_002123_2_001_293_ALS_BR_5
L12M11L_1.3.04

EDIT: I copied the sample file to an USB stick and via USB the subtitles menu is working properly. In fact, after enabling it via the USB area, they started to appear via DLNA. But I still can't change anything via DLNA, 'cos the menu is still messy.

BTW, the subtitles are really, really tiny; I almost can't see them in the screen (they're almost the same size of the "Philips" logo in the front of the TV. Is there any place where one could adjust its size/position? I couldn't find this option anywhere in the setup menu)

Best Regards,
Ed.

Hi Ed.

First of all welcome to the forums, and Congratulations on your two new TV's.

I can inform you that we support subtitles over USB only, and not DLNA, this is the reason why you cannot change this over DLNA.
And you're not able to change size or position on the subtitles.

Regards
Benedickte

EdSena
07-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Hi, I'm sorry but this statement isn't correct. As I mentioned in the previous post, if I enable subtitles while playing a movie via USB, later I can switch to a DLNA movie that the subtitles are correctly displayed. In order to disable it, I have to play an USB movie again.

When it comes to embedded subtitles in a MKV container, there's really no difference if the file is local (USB) or remote. What isn't really covered by the DLNA specification, is the delivery of external subtitles, like an .srt file.

From my understanding here, we're talking about a bug in the "Options" menu, that fails to render properly when the source of the movie is a DLNA stream.

Best Regards,
Ed.

Philips - Benedickte
08-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Hi, I'm sorry but this statement isn't correct. As I mentioned in the previous post, if I enable subtitles while playing a movie via USB, later I can switch to a DLNA movie that the subtitles are correctly displayed. In order to disable it, I have to play an USB movie again.

When it comes to embedded subtitles in a MKV container, there's really no difference if the file is local (USB) or remote. What isn't really covered by the DLNA specification, is the delivery of external subtitles, like an .srt file.

From my understanding here, we're talking about a bug in the "Options" menu, that fails to render properly when the source of the movie is a DLNA stream.

Best Regards,
Ed.

Hi Ed.

I would advise you to contact your local customer service (http://www.support.philips.com/support/catalog_selector.jsp?COOKIE=off) for further information about this.

Best regards
Benedickte

sibo
08-19-2012, 09:42 AM
There should really be support for .srt -files over DLNA. After all Samsung and LG managed it..

Taniuska
11-27-2012, 08:05 AM
ArkMc Media Center will help you stream multimediain your home network http://www.amazon.com/Arkuda-Digital-LLC-ArkMC-Center/dp/B0050JQQMM

magnussen@stofanet.dk
01-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Hey.

To solve the problem with no subtitles from NAS-hardisk simply download AVIAddXSubs from
http://aviaddxsubs.blogspot.com.

Its very easy:
- make a map with the moviefile (e.g. avi) and put the .srt file in it too
- it must have exactly the same name (e.g movie.avi and movie.srt)
- the program will convert it to a .divx file with subtitles

For my old IBM (1 GB RAM) it lasted 6 minutes !!

My Phillips LED-Smart TV can now show the movie from NAS with subtitles, and I have tried
it on my Samsung LED-Smart TV. It works !!
Just use the Options/Tools on your remote, and you can switch subtitles on and of.