PDA

View Full Version : Supported CODEC overview for 2010 model numbers (TV, HTS and BluRay).

Philips
10-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Please find attached an overview of all supported CODEC's in our 2010 model numbers
Now not only for TV (xxPFLxxx5x/xx) but also for HTS (HTSxxxx) and BluRay (BDPxxxx) players.

These files are MS Excel files which you can consult to see if your movie file is playable on your TV.
1. Analyse with e.g. Mediainfo (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en) or G-spot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/) your movie file (both are freeware programs).
2. With this info (audio and video codec), check in the XLS overview if this format is supported.
3. If, according to the XLS overview, this format is supported but it still does not play on your TV (*), contact your local help desk (http://www.support.philips.com/support/catalog_selector.jsp).

(*) If the format is NOT supported, you might consider converting it to a format that IS supported. There are several freeware programs for doing this. Consider www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html or www.pcfreetime.com.

pistoiaa
10-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Thank you, Phil, it is very useful.
Good job!

vgerwen
10-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the overview. Can you also provide an overview of the codecs supported in the HTS9520. I have a mkv file which runs on the 37pfl7605. When I run the same file on the HTS9520 the whole HTS hangs (black screen and not controllable anymore ). Only a power off/on works in this situation

ipodfan
12-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Can you include a list of expected mime types for this, I notice for example different equipment expects avi to be either mime video/avi or video/x-ms-avi. I am particularly interested in the mp4 and avi mime types the 9705 series expects

Sjoske
12-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Please find attached an overview of all supported CODEC's in our 2010 model numbers
Now not only for TV (xxPFLxxx5x/xx) but also for HTS (HTSxxxx) and BluRay (BDxxxx) players.

Hi,

Could you also provide the lists for 42PFL9803 and 37PFL9604?

Thanks!

Melkyre
12-30-2010, 06:47 PM
MKV are not fully supported? Subtitles are not visible it seems. Or am i doing something wrong ?
Tried many mkv files with no success.
Thank You

petasis
12-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Subtitles are not supported. And most mkv files are not supported, as they contain DTS sound.

Melkyre
12-30-2010, 08:25 PM
It's just a software issue so as followup question ... will they ever be supported in a next firmware release ?
Btw is there a roadmap of firmware release ?
Thanks

petasis
12-31-2010, 07:51 AM
I am afraid they won't fix subtitles. Their support doesn't actually pay much attention to problems and features wanted by customers...

lazac
01-03-2011, 02:11 AM
Then they should stop producing TV-s, and spread leaflets/documentations, which includes statements like:

"USB for fantastic multimedia playback"
or

"Plug the USB into the slot on the side of the TV and access the multimedia content using the easy on-screen content browser. You can now view and share your videos, photos and music."
or

"Multimedia Applications
•Multimedia connections: USB
•Picture Playback Formats: JPEG
•Music Playback Formats: MP3, WMA (v2 up to v9.2), AAC
•Video Playback Formats: Codec support:, H264/MPEG-4 AVC, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, WMV9/VC1, Containers: AVI, MKV"

It is definitely NOT fantastic, if i have to download an .xlsx file from a CLEARLY NOT SUPPORTED forum section on a NETHERLAND-ONLY site after I cannot play films on my already bought TV! That is ridiculous!

I could get a DVB-T tuner with a built-in multimedia player (w/HDMI w/MKV and w/SUBTITLE support, which is a MUST-HAVE nowadays) for like 70-80USD (thats 16-17k HUF in my country), but I spended that plus for a TV, that has a bulit-in player... OR I AM NOT?

Sorry. I just hate being in the middle of the consumption society ERA, where Philips buy some LCD panels from LG, adds a plastic bezel, a buggy SW/FW (which is based on a really flexible SW, developed by a community...so they able to add functions easily), puts on a price tag that tells us functionality but does less than as it advertised.
I am not blaming the actual people, who tries to solve the problems (if they are). I am blaming myself for my stupidity, i thought im safe to get anything else from philips than a hair-trimmer or a juice extractor.

Laszlo P.
a disappointed customer

mhafis_bajuri
01-03-2011, 06:47 AM
also disappointed.. with this TV..

the promoter said, its can play MKV file.. but somehow, when try to play MKV file at home, definately could not be play even read it..

so sad.. pay more cost for this TV, thinking that can watch the clear MKV file as promoter said, but unfortunately its going bad..

anyone know how to play mkv file in this tv (32PFL5605s/98) ?

Toengel
01-03-2011, 07:00 AM
Hi,

all MKV files which contain a DTS sound stream do not work. I think this is due to the lack of a DTS decoder (licence), since TV stations do not distribute DTS sound, but only Dolby Digitlal (if digital).

The only thing Philips can do is to transfer the DTS soundstream directly via digital out to an external decoder station.

Toengel@Alex

mhafis_bajuri
01-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Hi,

all MKV files which contain a DTS sound stream do not work. I think this is due to the lack of a DTS decoder (licence), since TV stations do not distribute DTS sound, but only Dolby Digitlal (if digital).

The only thing Philips can do is to transfer the DTS soundstream directly via digital out to an external decoder station.

Toengel@Alex

Dear Toengel,

Thanks for your explanation. Is that DTS soundstream can be replace or change, so that the mkv file can be play on this TV via USB?

As what your explaned, how to transfer the DTS soundstream to others? Is it possible? How.

Thanks in advance.

Toengel
01-03-2011, 07:48 AM
Hi,

you can use the tool www.xmedia-recode.de (http://www.xmedia-recode.de) to convert the DTS-stream to AC3. Just copy the videostream (no recode) in the options and convert the audio stream to AC3 only.

Toengel@Alex

nathalie.pim
01-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Here's my issue. I have these new .m4v files which seem to be the new standard for MP4, this format is readable with all Apple products like the iPad. I noted that my TV recognizes the HD containing all these movies but will read not all files.
I converted them using the same program (Handbrake for Mac) from DVD's. I cannot trace the m4v extension back in the list but the TV plays them (but not all...). What can be the reason of this? I added an Apple TV to solve this issue but can imagine I should not need it.

Toengel
01-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Hi,

you can use mediainfo.sourceforge.net to find out, what audio and video streams are inside the m4v files. So you can look if there are different codecs inside the files...

Toengel@Alex

foo
01-11-2011, 06:10 PM
for all fellows who can't read moronic formats (because they don't want to pirate MS Office just to see a file, because the publisher was too lazy to put it in a standardized format), here's the unofficial supported format list:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AuzOXVXXm751dGhUQXNKLVRZeUNHVUpIdVRwRHhHb EE&hl=en&single=true&gid=0&output=html

Philips
01-14-2011, 12:00 PM
for all fellows who can't read moronic formats (because they don't want to pirate MS Office just to see a file, because the publisher was too lazy to put it in a standardized format)....

You could just ask if we could publish in another format......
There is also a free excel viewer from MS to download.
Reason to publish in XLS was that users now have the full options of excel, like filtering etc.
Anyway, see new overview, also attached in PDF now.

GuinnessTrinker
01-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the "Supported CODEC overview".

This means
.mp4: MP4/H.264/1920x1080i == 20Mbps
.mpg: PS/MPEG2/1920x1080p == 20Mbps

MPEG2 is more efficient than MPEG4 ???

I cant believe that!

ahasver
01-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Couldn't there easily added support for the free codecs ogg/vorbis (especially to use with radio time/tune in app for inernet radio stations) and theora (an other free video implementation, working in HTML5-video with firefox)?

GuinnessTrinker
02-01-2011, 07:24 AM
.. and theora (an other free video implementation, working in HTML5-video with firefox)?

Philips devices do use Linux and Opera 9.x browser (not firefox)
AFAIK this browser supports CE-HTML, but not HTML5.

Toengel
02-01-2011, 07:29 AM
Hi,

Opera 9.7...

Toengel@Alex

smart
02-02-2011, 07:00 AM
As described by this sheet, my Philips 42PFL7695K/02 should play Videos in WMV-Format.

I downloaded a FullHD Demovideo from Nvidia: http://us.download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/videos/nzm_PureVideo_SDvsHD.wmv and I was not able to play it. I tried with DLNA and USB. It just tells me, that it can't read the file "Datei kann nicht gelesen/gefunden werden" ("File can not be read/found").

I also have an own WMV-File which can be played. I contacted local support and they told me that none of the 7000 Series TVs can play WMV although it is told so in the data sheet on the Philips web site.

Can you verify what is going on here? I'm a little confused. I thought that I bought a TV that can play WMV. Now it does sometimes and sometimes not.

Thanks for your support!

Toengel
02-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Hi,

I will try this file on my TV...

Toengel@Alex

Toengel
02-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Hi,

this file does also NOT work on my 58PFL9955...

@Philips
Can you investigate why this file does not work? Your supported codecs list says, that this file should work...

Toengel@Alex

vgerwen
02-02-2011, 07:54 PM
I tried this file on my 37PFL7605 and it does not work (using DLNA Tversity) . When I play it on the Phillips HTS9520 it plays but it has no audio (Audio format not supported)

macG
02-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Hi,
my Canon Ixus80 digicam makes avi videos (Codec MJPG). I would like to watch the video with my 40PFL7605 (Q5551_0.140.27.0 firmware) with DLNA (Synology 209). Unfortunatly, it doesn't works.
Is this problem with any Canon digicam? What helps?

macG

Toengel
02-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Hi,

use mediainfo.sourceforge.net to take a look at the used codecs - then compare them with the supported ones... If they are not supported, just recode your video (i.e. with www.xmedia-recode.de (http://www.xmedia-recode.de))

Toengel@Alex

macG
02-04-2011, 02:43 PM
I have used mediainfo and the codec is MJPEG. This codec in not included in the Philips support list. Now, I'm wondering, because Canon is one of the most selling cameras, so many people could have the same issue. My hope is that Philips will support this codec in one of the next firmware updates??

Sure, file converting is no problem, but the better way is without.
macG

Philips
02-09-2011, 10:08 AM
As described by this sheet, my Philips 42PFL7695K/02 should play Videos in WMV-Format.

I downloaded a FullHD Demovideo from Nvidia: http://us.download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/videos/nzm_PureVideo_SDvsHD.wmv and I was not able to play it. I tried with DLNA and USB. It just tells me, that it can't read the file "Datei kann nicht gelesen/gefunden werden" ("File can not be read/found").

I also have an own WMV-File which can be played. I contacted local support and they told me that none of the 7000 Series TVs can play WMV although it is told so in the data sheet on the Philips web site.

Can you verify what is going on here? I'm a little confused. I thought that I bought a TV that can play WMV. Now it does sometimes and sometimes not.

Thanks for your support!

The file mentioned in the post has WMV9 Pro codec and WMA9 Pro for audio. Both codecs are not supported, only the non-Pro codecs are supported.

smart
02-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Oh, ok.
For me, it is such a confusion with all that codecs.

For a consumer it is hard to understand all that different kinds. If you have a look at the data sheet from Philips of 42PFL7695K/02 (http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl7695k_02/42pfl7695k_02_pss_deu.pdf), I find the following:

Videowiedergabeformate: Codec-Unterstützung:, H264/MPEG-4 (AVC), MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, WMV9/VC1, Dateien: AVI, MKV

Now you are saying: "Oh it only supports WMV9 non-Pro codecs". Look in the data sheet, there is nothing mentioned like "Pro", it is mentioned WMV9/VC1.

Then I call the support hotline and they send me a document by mail, that WMV is generally not supported by 7000 series of 2010.

Can you please clarify that confusion?

From your answer I assume, that I can play WMV-Files. But I can't play all. There are some exceptions like this "non-Pro". Are there other exceptions? Is there a more clear explanation of supported formats? What are the requirements to get a wmv file playing?

Should a WMV video be inside a an AVI or MKV file, because it is not listed at the files list?

For me, there are so many questions open. There is no sense and simplicity for playing video files.

Greets and thanks for an answer!

deadairplane
02-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Hi All,

Can someone explain me something.

I have tried to play 2 movies, both movies were recompiled before to try playing them. Both movies are recompiled with the same codecs. I can play one of them, but the other I cannot

What is going on here. Why I payed such money and nothing is working as it is written in your site, or I was told. There are TV's for half of the money that can do everything that I was told that Philips can do.

Movie that cannot be played:

http://img35.imageshack.us/i/movie02notplayable.jpg/

Movie that can be played:

http://img163.imageshack.us/i/movie01playable.jpg/

My TV is 32PFL7605H/12

Ohhh I forgot about the subtitles, Cirilic is one of the official Alphabets in European Union, but subtitles I cannot play at all.

I have a question. Will the subtitles available in the next updates?

leeks
02-13-2011, 02:01 AM
My "40PFL5605" can't play all mp4 and rm that were listed.

there are tons of mp4 around.

pls advise precisely the formats suitable.

Herrminator
02-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Movie that cannot be played:
http://img35.imageshack.us/i/movie02notplayable.jpg/

Movie that can be played:
http://img163.imageshack.us/i/movie01playable.jpg/

My suspicion is the multipart OpenDML. My 32PFL5405 doesn't like those at all. If you save them with VirtualDub (stream copy only) 'as old format AVI', they work properly, even if they are larger than 2GB (which isn't strictly legal).

Hope this helps.

deadairplane
02-14-2011, 08:03 PM
My suspicion is the multipart OpenDML. My 32PFL5405 doesn't like those at all. If you save them with VirtualDub (stream copy only) 'as old format AVI', they work properly, even if they are larger than 2GB (which isn't strictly legal).

Hope this helps.

This did not help :(

And after a week trying to watch a move, finally decided to use the TV Out of may notebook and connect it to the TV via SCART cable.

And guess the TV decided that the signal is SECAM, actually it is PAL-B. I tried to change the system from the Video Adapter Drivers, and the only one unsupported system is SECAM. And there is no way to change it from the TV (or I was unable to find such setting)

I payed 2 salaries to watch HD movies, but now I even do not have collor. I want my money back!

Philips
02-18-2011, 02:04 PM
To combine all CODEC information, we started a new topic with all the supported CODECs for all models (TV, HTS and BluRay):

http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?1067-Supported-CODEC-overview-for-all-models-(TV-HTS-and-BluRay)&p=3661#post3661

This topic is closed.