PDA

View Full Version : 32PFL5507H/12 DLNA playback limited

Initial G
08-08-2012, 02:21 PM
I have the 32PFL5507H/12 with latest firmware 30/7/2012. Connected over WiFi with a good 300N Gbit router. TV says connected at 68mbps. I can download at 40mbit/s with a laptop nearby the TV.

DLNA Streaming from a wired PC the TV can play 720p 6mbps mkv nicely. However 9 mbps 1080p movie stutters now and then ,14mbps and 24mbps movies choke badly.

The same files play perfectly from a USB stick! Is DLNA somehow limited to a low bitrate? This would be a great bummer, since then i could get no decent 1080p movie playback from a NAS i wan't to buy.

user0815
08-08-2012, 03:15 PM
I suspect you used the TV menue and remote to "pull" files from the network ?
Home > my network > Media Server > folder > file

Did you also try it the opposite direction, so "push" the file from PC to the media server and TV ?
I ask cause whyever there seams to be better performance then, regarding some user reports in this forum.

Just an idea and may be worth a try and report what you find.

Philips - Benedickte
08-08-2012, 03:40 PM
I have the 32PFL5507H/12 with latest firmware 30/7/2012. Connected over WiFi with a good 300N Gbit router. TV says connected at 68mbps. I can download at 40mbit/s with a laptop nearby the TV.

DLNA Streaming from a wired PC the TV can play 720p 6mbps mkv nicely. However 9 mbps 1080p movie stutters now and then ,14mbps and 24mbps movies choke badly.

The same files play perfectly from a USB stick! Is DLNA somehow limited to a low bitrate? This would be a great bummer, since then i could get no decent 1080p movie playback from a NAS i wan't to buy.

Hi Initial G

First of all, welcome to our forums.

I can confirm that the max mbps fo DLNA on your set is 20, so a 24Mbps will not work/ be like you described. When it comes to less that that it can be a network limitation.
When you are trying to play these bigger files, have you been downloading at the same time? If so, try to play a 14 mbps movie while using a little of the network as possible ( so no downloading etc).

Best Regards
Benedickte

Initial G
08-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Thanks Benedickte,

However, I did play the files with no other network activity. Also, the 9mbps movie didn't go perfectly. Considering I get 35mbps real throughput (LAN speed test program) on my laptop, I would expect the bandwidth to be sufficient, wouldn't you agree?

Can you or anyone confirm real life tested good DLNA playback over wifi for 10-20mbit/s 1080p mkv?

@user0815
i did try, no luck.

Philips - Benedickte
08-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks Benedickte,

However, I did play the files with no other network activity. Also, the 9mbps movie didn't go perfectly. Considering I get 35mbps real throughput (LAN speed test program) on my laptop, I would expect the bandwidth to be sufficient, wouldn't you agree?

Can you or anyone confirm real life tested good DLNA playback over wifi for 10-20mbit/s 1080p mkv?

@user0815
i did try, no luck.

Good afternoon Initial G.

Could you please provide us with one of the files you are having issues with playing? (1080p MKV, 9-20mbps files)
Example put in dropbox and give us the link? This would be to great help.

Thank you
Benedickte

Philips - Benedickte
08-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Thanks Benedickte,

@user0815
i did try, no luck.

Hi Initial G

I would advise you to update to software version 91.0 that will be available soon from the support page.
Also when playing higer bitrate movies, it is recommended to use a wired connection.

Regards
Benedickte

Initial G
11-03-2012, 01:31 PM
I have had better results now.

The thing that made the change is setting the Wifi router to a single channel. I previously used 40MHz width channel (turbo mode). Now, with single 20Mhz channel width, the connection speeds reports a bit lower (about 39 tot 52 mbps) but streaming is way more solid. I can play 1080p high bitrate (20mbps) files now. the improvement is probably due to reduced interference on a single 20Mhz channel vs 40MHz.

Still a big bummer that fastforwarding and rewind dont properly work. Also I had to upgrade to Twonkymediaserver v7 since the version you supply (v3!?) has limited file support.