PDA

View Full Version : Connecting external aerial when there is no connector?

DavidF1940
08-18-2012, 11:41 AM
I have just received my DCB2020/05 (sent as warranty replacement for DCB152, now out of Phillips stock). Like the DCB152, my location means DAB not receivable on supplied (wired in) indoor aerial (but FM OK); user's guide says to connect to external aerial but, unlike the DCB152, there is no external aerial connector. The only way I can see to do this is to cut the lead of the wired-in indoor aerial and connect to a suitable coax socket for connection to external aerial. Has anyone any alternative suggestion to this rather tedious solution?

I have asked Phillips customer support about this but, whilst awaiting response, wondered if anyone on the forum can help.

Regards

DavidF1940

luggsie
08-26-2012, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=DavidF1940;38983]I have just received my DCB2020/05 (sent as warranty replacement for DCB152, now out of Phillips stock). Like the DCB152, my location means DAB not receivable on supplied (wired in) indoor aerial (but FM OK); user's guide says to connect to external aerial but, unlike the DCB152, there is no external aerial connector. The only way I can see to do this is to cut the lead of the wired-in indoor aerial and connect to a suitable coax socket for connection to external aerial. Has anyone any alternative suggestion to this rather tedious solution?

I also had this problem of no indoor DAB reception. So I took the plunge and chopped the end off the supplied antenna feeder to fix a coax connector (via a very old TV balun which may be the wrong frequency range). Works fine, but is the guarantee invalidated ?

DavidF1940
08-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks luggsie. I'll give it a go when I have a moment.

I have told Customer Supportabout the problem. Their tech guys say "there may be a misprint in user manual", and asked for a photo of back of receiver! No comment made about warranty but as my warranty on original buy is up, there's not much to lose.

Cheers