PDA

View Full Version : 40PFL5507 clicking sound issue

bill
08-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Hi,
I've bought a 40PFL5507 last week and I've been testing ever since. Aside the dominant green tint with the image, the only problem that I can detect is a small clicking sound that might occur from time to time when using a hdmi connected apparel (media player, blu ray player etc...). I haven't experienced the problem while watching the TV through simple antenna connection, nor with the xbox, also connected with hdmi, but to be honest didn't spend as much time as watching series and movies. This issue isn't constant, I was able to watch full movies without hearing one, and sometimes it's almost a small click every 10 minutes or so. Anybody else having a similar problem or something to guide me to a solution for it?
thanks in advance

Philips - Benedickte
08-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Hi,
I've bought a 40PFL5507 last week and I've been testing ever since. Aside the dominant green tint with the image, the only problem that I can detect is a small clicking sound that might occur from time to time when using a hdmi connected apparel (media player, blu ray player etc...). I haven't experienced the problem while watching the TV through simple antenna connection, nor with the xbox, also connected with hdmi, but to be honest didn't spend as much time as watching series and movies. This issue isn't constant, I was able to watch full movies without hearing one, and sometimes it's almost a small click every 10 minutes or so. Anybody else having a similar problem or something to guide me to a solution for it?
thanks in advance

Hi Bill.

Could you please confirm to me what software version you have on your TV? If you're not having the latest (91.0), I would advise you to update to this.

Best regards,
Benedickte

bill
08-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Hi Bill.

Could you please confirm to me what software version you have on your TV? If you're not having the latest (91.0), I would advise you to update to this.

Best regards,
Benedickte

Dear Benedickte,

Thank you for your answer. Yes I confirm that I have the latest update. I will run one last battery of tests, especially by connecting an external speaker through headphones and cut totally the tv internal speakers. I am kinda having the feeling that the noise isn't coming from the speakers at all but maybe directly from another component inside (I just don't get that it won't do the thing while watching the TV through antenna but only with hdmi connected devices). Are you aware of any remotely similar case?

Thanks again and kindest regards,
bill

Philips - Benedickte
08-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Dear Benedickte,

Thank you for your answer. Yes I confirm that I have the latest update. I will run one last battery of tests, especially by connecting an external speaker through headphones and cut totally the tv internal speakers. I am kinda having the feeling that the noise isn't coming from the speakers at all but maybe directly from another component inside (I just don't get that it won't do the thing while watching the TV through antenna but only with hdmi connected devices). Are you aware of any remotely similar case?

Thanks again and kindest regards,
bill

Good afternoon Bill.

I would advise you to contact your local customer service (http://www.support.philips.com/support/catalog_selector.jsp?COOKIE=off)when you've done this test, and give them a good explaination on where about the clicking sound comes from (speakers or inside of TV and on what side). Also remember to have full model number, serial number and date of purchase ready when calling them.

Kind regards,
Benedickte

vorm77
08-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi,
I have a similar problem. TV 32PFL7606T. HDMI connected to two devices: WDTV Live media player and satellite receiver GI 8120. On the TV, updated software including the latest, updated software devices. Do a factory reset. No results. What to do?

Philips - Benedickte
08-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Hi,
I have a similar problem. TV 32PFL7606T. HDMI connected to two devices: WDTV Live media player and satellite receiver GI 8120. On the TV, updated software including the latest, updated software devices. Do a factory reset. No results. What to do?

Hi Vorm77.

Welcome to the forums.

I would advise you to try the same as i've advised to Bill. Check where the sound is coming from, speakers or inside the TV. And please also confirm to me what software version you have. (Check on TV)

Best regards,
Benedickte

vorm77
08-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Current firmware: Q5551-0.14.99.0
Serial number: VN1B1143001838
TV purchased: 10.03.2012

Philips - Benedickte
08-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Current firmware: Q5551-0.14.99.0
Serial number: VN1B1143001838
TV purchased: 10.03.2012

Hi Vorm77.

Thank you for this.

Could you please unplugg everything from the TV and then test if the clicking is still there? Where is this cliking noise coming from?

Benedickte

bill
08-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Hi again,

so here is what I could figure out so far:

- in order to see if the problem is directly related to the speakers or not, I plugged external speakers through speaker out and cut off the internal speakers. Again while watching tv through antenna no noise at all but once I switch to the hdmi connected devices (blu ray player or multimedia player) the problem still occurs. I really can't say if it is through the audio out or the back of the tv though :s...

- assuming that the problem is due to the back hdmi connectors (even though it is highly possible that I'm dead wrong), I again tried every possible scenario available: connecting only one port and switching between ports, connecting 2 ports, then 3 then 4... the results are a bit mixed. In the end I kinda have the feeling (without any certainty since the problem occurs randomly and not continiously) that the ports n3 and the side HDMI connector seemed fine. Actually I had the feeling that it happened mostly when n1 port was used, even though it happened with n2 also. I just couldn't be sure if the third and side connector gave the problem or not.

I am a bit frustrated because this problem only happens with the usage of hdmi and it is not regular. I fear that when the technician will arrive, we won't hear a thing (cause I believe the guy will not be available for hours watching stuff over and over like I could do) and will try a repair without really determining the cause. :s

It will be a great help if someone can point me to the right direction
I'm running also the latest software at the TV was bought barely 2 weeks ago (17/08/12)

@Vorm77: if you don't mind me asking, can you confirm that the issue occurs when using the satelitte TV though HDMI as well? I was planning on having digital TV so... Just curious thanks a lot

bill

Philips - Benedickte
08-31-2012, 09:32 AM
Hi again,

so here is what I could figure out so far:

- in order to see if the problem is directly related to the speakers or not, I plugged external speakers through speaker out and cut off the internal speakers. Again while watching tv through antenna no noise at all but once I switch to the hdmi connected devices (blu ray player or multimedia player) the problem still occurs. I really can't say if it is through the audio out or the back of the tv though :s...

- assuming that the problem is due to the back hdmi connectors (even though it is highly possible that I'm dead wrong), I again tried every possible scenario available: connecting only one port and switching between ports, connecting 2 ports, then 3 then 4... the results are a bit mixed. In the end I kinda have the feeling (without any certainty since the problem occurs randomly and not continiously) that the ports n3 and the side HDMI connector seemed fine. Actually I had the feeling that it happened mostly when n1 port was used, even though it happened with n2 also. I just couldn't be sure if the third and side connector gave the problem or not.

I am a bit frustrated because this problem only happens with the usage of hdmi and it is not regular. I fear that when the technician will arrive, we won't hear a thing (cause I believe the guy will not be available for hours watching stuff over and over like I could do) and will try a repair without really determining the cause. :s

It will be a great help if someone can point me to the right direction
I'm running also the latest software at the TV was bought barely 2 weeks ago (17/08/12)

@Vorm77: if you don't mind me asking, can you confirm that the issue occurs when using the satelitte TV though HDMI as well? I was planning on having digital TV so... Just curious thanks a lot

bill

Hi Bill.

Thank you so much and with this information i would recomend you to contact you local customer service and see what they can do for you.

Best wishes,
Benedickte

bill
08-31-2012, 09:47 AM
Hi Benedickte,

They already scheduled for a technician to come by and try to fix the issue, but like I said, I fear that he won't be able to do a proper assesment and permanently fix the issue :s

well, we'll see and I'll let you guys know... in the meantime any further input will be appreciated

Cheers,
bill

vorm77
08-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Dear Bill
From your story, I realized that there are no crackling from the speakers.
I certify that the crack appears only when using port HDMI.

vorm77
08-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Bill. I also think to take the service center. TV warranty. Please write about the visit of the master and solve your problem.

Philips - Benedickte
08-31-2012, 02:13 PM
Dear Bill
From your story, I realized that there are no crackling from the speakers.
I certify that the crack appears only when using port HDMI.

Hi Vorm77

Out from this information,I advise you to contact your local customer service for further assistance.

Best regards,
Benedickte

bill
09-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Hi all,

I just wanted to say that a tech guy from the customer service came by to change the ssb. From what I could see it's the whole module where the hdmi usb and antenna ports are. Like the guy promised, it went flawlessly and I must say that I really appreciated the pro attitude : contacted on Wednesday, I was called back the same day to be informed that unfortunately he couldn't come by the same week because he had to order the piece, and that he will put me on top of his list on Monday. This is less than three days for an intervention... Amazing :) And the cream of the crop is that he kept his promise and he was at my door at 9:00 in the morning on Monday. As discussed earlier, no major manipulation was made, he just opened the tv, removed a whole piece and replaced it with a brand new one. Clean and done in 5 minutes. Unfortunately, like I was afraid, I couldn't reproduce the issue I'm having while he was at my place, so he changed the part anyway. I insist on retelling my experience with the tech service from Philips (or affiliated techs with philips) because I think it was fast and real professional attitude.
That was the good news. The bad news is unfortunately the issue still happens with a less apparent click :s. I don't know exactly what I should do now, but I will run some more tests and I'm thinking also recording on camera with the hope of determining the real cause.
In the meantime, Dear Benedickte, if you come up with an alternative solution, I am all ears.

Best regards,
bill

ali54
09-07-2012, 03:42 PM
bill
the problem you are having it the same lot of pepole had with 9705 and only way to fix this problem is avery few night
you have to turn the tv of by the swtich or pull the power plug if this dos fix your problem that tell is me the tv is buillding
static charge

vorm77
09-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Hi Bill, I was waiting for your reply. I regret that the problem is not solved. Proposed that service engineer? Had he seen that the problem remains?

bill
09-10-2012, 07:55 AM
@ali54: waow thanks for the tip. I never thought that it would have been literally speaking a static discharge from the TV. As a matter of fact, the noise coming from it is less audible than before, maybe the static charge isn't building as much as it used too. I will definitely look into it. But in the meantime, that really wouldn't explain why the phenomena only occurs when used with hdmi (and not antenna). maybe something with the plugs and contact? Costs nothing to try, and I'll definitely say if there is any improvement. Again thanks for the tip ;)

@vorm77: Unfortunately the engineer who fixed the TV didn't hear a single click during the whole time he was at my place. Not during the 10 - 15 minutes before he exchanged the piece, nor the 15 minutes afterwards.

vorm77
09-10-2012, 09:21 AM
September 8 gave a television in the shop for warranty repairs. They will send it to the service center.
I will wait for the result and hope that will fix it.
Be sure to tell about the results.

tuby
09-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Same problem with 32PFL7486M/8, on both HDMI sources (Satellite receiver and WD TV Live).
I get the analog audio from the TV Headphone jack, passing it to a set of NAD pre+power amps.
The clicking noise happens randomly. It is not depending on the amps (all other analog sources are ok).

At this point the same problem is present on a lot of different TVs.
Is it related to a bad HDMI init in the firmware?

Tuby

bill
09-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Same problem with 32PFL7486M/8, on both HDMI sources (Satellite receiver and WD TV Live).
I get the analog audio from the TV Headphone jack, passing it to a set of NAD pre+power amps.
The clicking noise happens randomly. It is not depending on the amps (all other analog sources are ok).

At this point the same problem is present on a lot of different TVs.
Is it related to a bad HDMI init in the firmware?

Tuby

Sorry to hear that you have the same issue. I still hear from time to time the clicking issue like you: randomly. It is quite frustrating when it happens. But for example, a few days ago, I spent quite some time playing with the Xbox and not a single click. Yesterday, while watching a video file with the multimedia player I had it two or three times in an hour. I really don't know what to do. I did your analog audio from the Headphone jack for the same results (if anybody tried the digital out, their input will be highly appreciated). In the meantime, while the tv is on mute, there is no click either (watched for about an hour). The firmware is good lead to find the core of the issue, but it seems unlikely, because I think that if it were related to that, all the users would suffer from it. Maybe Benedickte can give us more insight on that?

tuby
09-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Hi Bill,
this is really the biggest problem I have with the TV: I can see a decent image but the audio has random clicks when used on all the modern HDMI sources.
If I'm listening music at high volume, I think that even my studio monitor speakers tweeters are at risk (in addition to my nerves..), due to the nature of the noise.

I've read about the impossibility of the local tech support to solve it (just because it is not a failure of one specific "broken" TV).
If somebody from Philips is reading (and if the solution is a new firmware as I suppose), please give this problem the right high priority and try to find a solution.
In case the problem cannot be solved, I'll be forced to find a new TV with an working audio. :-(

Tuby

vorm77
10-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Hi all,
Sent from my service 32pfl7606t. Attached to TV act - failure is not detected. Homes included - no change, also clicks.
And why all the silence? How are you coming along?
P.S. During repair, 2 weeks instead enjoy the outstanding TV TCL - no clicks is not seen.

bill
10-30-2012, 06:41 AM
Hi all,
Sent from my service 32pfl7606t. Attached to TV act - failure is not detected. Homes included - no change, also clicks.
And why all the silence? How are you coming along?
P.S. During repair, 2 weeks instead enjoy the outstanding TV TCL - no clicks is not seen.

Hi there,

so you're problem is fixed or not? Mine is still here although I haven't contacted the technical service back again since they confirmed that they don't know what to do and they've escalated the issue. I'm still waiting for a response from them. I am hoping to buy an audio set to check if the problem remains with the digital output or not.

tuby
10-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Hoping it may help somebody in Philips, I can add that the click seems to be present (or at least louder) on one of the stereo channels only.
It is 100% generated by the TV (if I swap the L/R RCA connectors coming from the TV jack, I get the clicks on the other speaker).
When watching a movie, the click is loud enough to make you jump when it happens in a quite scene (so it is not masked by the audio source)!

I don't have an external DAC to test the digital output of my TV.
Is the digital audio output affected by "clicks" too?

Tuby

vorm77
11-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Of course the problem is not solved. Noticed some patterns: the more the TV volume, the louder clicks (that is, they really come out of the speakers) when clicks are very often helped off and on cable HDMI - clicks interrupted.

bill
11-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Hoping it may help somebody in Philips, I can add that the click seems to be present (or at least louder) on one of the stereo channels only.
It is 100% generated by the TV (if I swap the L/R RCA connectors coming from the TV jack, I get the clicks on the other speaker).
When watching a movie, the click is loud enough to make you jump when it happens in a quite scene (so it is not masked by the audio source)!

I don't have an external DAC to test the digital output of my TV.
Is the digital audio output affected by "clicks" too?

Tuby

I second that, an external DAC test will be definitely useful at this point. I also noticed earlier that the click is still here when the audio jack is in use and the sound from the tv is totally on mute :s

@vorm77 : it is true that sometimes it helps to stop the picture and restart. Sometimes the click is like every 30 seconds, and at this point it is best to stop it all. But, a while later, the click is resumed.

Buijvoets
03-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Same problem here with my 40PFL5507, the static clicks.. does someone already have a solution?
The service center said Philips is aware of the problem and working to find the problem, that was a few weeks ago..and the clicking is getting on my nerves:mad:

bill
03-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Same problem here with my 40PFL5507, the static clicks.. does someone already have a solution?
The service center said Philips is aware of the problem and working to find the problem, that was a few weeks ago..and the clicking is getting on my nerves:mad:

Nope. No solution whatsoever and I'm getting the same reply from Philips that they are aware and working to find a solution. What I can suggest is that when the clicking is too constant, its to stop the content you're playing entirely and relaunching it. in my case this helps to calm it a little down. But if you are watching TV with an hdmi connection... Man that must be annoying (for me its only with BD, DVD and multimedia - I would be interested to know if on TV through hdmi it does the same problem or not :))

Buijvoets
03-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Nope. No solution whatsoever and I'm getting the same reply from Philips that they are aware and working to find a solution. What I can suggest is that when the clicking is too constant, its to stop the content you're playing entirely and relaunching it. in my case this helps to calm it a little down. But if you are watching TV with an hdmi connection... Man that must be annoying (for me its only with BD, DVD and multimedia - I would be interested to know if on TV through hdmi it does the same problem or not :))

Yes I'm watching tv with an hdmi connection and it's truth if the clicking begins I sometimes shut the tv down. In many cases this will help for a while, but it's not realy user friendly haha.
If I watch a film through the wires network on the tv or movie at the youtube app, I haven't heard a click yet.
Hope Philips finds someting about it quick.

bill
03-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Yes I'm watching tv with an hdmi connection and it's truth if the clicking begins I sometimes shut the tv down. In many cases this will help for a while, but it's not realy user friendly haha.
If I watch a film through the wires network on the tv or movie at the youtube app, I haven't heard a click yet.
Hope Philips finds someting about it quick.

I am pretty convinced that the cause is the hdmi connectivity, and that it has nothing to do with a physical thing of the hdmi socket (since they already changed the whole module and I think that I can't be that unlucky to have 2 faulty modules right :D - but again who knows). I know how frustrating it is indeed... The only thing that remains to be seen is if that noise comes when the device is plugged to a digital audio device. Ooouh I almost forgot, maybe Philips will come up with a permanent solution.